Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: What's up with Dante Exum

Bad coach and team. He needs to get a shooters mentality.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RightTwoCensor
    In not saying he's gonna be a bust, I'm just pointing out fields on which he needs to improve on.

Compared to the hype he was getting predraft with people talking about he's the next Kobe to him being the next Penny, his rookie season was highly disappointing.
    Supposedly he's grown taller and bigger. Might be the next Penny still. If he can hit the 3 ball consistently he's at worst a 3 and D player. He's unselfish. He had a couple nice stretches at the end of the year.

The best thing going for him if his physical attributes, and even the tough get going that's not gonna win games.
    They were one of the best teams at the end of the year with him starting.

Tho I'm sure his critics and Jazz fans won't be so patient.
    Nope. At minimum he has to be able to hit an open 3 this year consistently. Otherwise he should be in the D-league. Jazz should be a top team. They can't give minutes away to Exum, Burke and others this year if they aren't earned. The tanking is over!

Didn't his 3pt shot become better? Wasn't he billed as "having no shot", coming into the season, especially 3pt?
    Yeah he looked a lot better than anyone expected. Has to be more consistent.

Bad coach and team.
    Jury is still out on the coach but Gobert has made them a top team.
    Last edited by Xiao Yao You; 06-29-2015 at 09:25 AM.

Local High School Star CakeorDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RightTwoCensor
    Exposed.

Didn't come in the league with any great skill, was average to passable in everything. Can't defend if his life depended on it.

He's still a project, but I can't see him develop as an All-Star with Utah's staff.
    Defense was the only reason he was on the court. He's already very solid there with a chance to be exceptional. Gobert gets all the credit for the Jazz's league-leading defense because he has all the sexy stats, but Exum deserves a ton of credit. He made dribbled penetration much harder for opposing guards, and defense starts from the perimeter.

Offensively, he was literally asked to do nothing. He would dribble up to half court and then the offense would run through Hayward or Trey Burke, depending on who was on the court. Exum would just float to one of the corners and shoot only when he was wide open or when the clock was running out. Check the stats; something like 60% of his FGA were threes. He didn't shoot a single free throw for like 2 whole months; insane for a PG until you realize all we was on O was a Matt Bonner type spot up 3 pt shooter.

Jazz are being very deliberate with him. Play great defense, learn offensive skills slowly. He'll be fine.

jazz aren't developing him very well imo

I'd trade Clarkson for him

I rule the local playground unknowns8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by uber
    turned 19 two weeks ago .. hard to judge if a player is still this young ..

NBA Superstar

No Excuses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcFFEjq5Ap8

Olivier Hanlan>>>

The team played very good defense with Exum at the point after the Kanter trade. He has a lot of work to do, but you have to keep in mind that he wasn't a focal point of the team, he was more along for the ride. We won't truly see what kind of player he is for a few more seasons, but enjoy the ride Jazz fans because I still think he is going to be a star.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenith
    The team played very good defense with Exum at the point after the Kanter trade. He has a lot of work to do, but you have to keep in mind that he wasn't a focal point of the team, he was more along for the ride. We won't truly see what kind of player he is for a few more seasons, but enjoy the ride Jazz fans because I still think he is going to be a star.
    most of that had to do with gobert though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    jazz aren't developing him very well imo
    He should have been in the D-League at least for games. Who knows he may be a lot furthur ahead in his development if they'd done that. I'd send him there this year too if he doesn't improve. They need more offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    He should have been in the D-League at least for games. Who knows he may be a lot furthur ahead in his development if they'd done that. I'd send him there this year too if he doesn't improve. They need more offense.
    Agreed. He needs experience running an offense as the PG. Right now it's kinda weird because offensively he's just sort of "there".

Decent college freshman

Jazz maintained their great defense even when Gobert was off the floor post-Kanter trade. Favors & others stepped up and deserve credit, but Exum performed very well defensively for a rookie point guard. If his 3 ball pans out, he's a rich man's Beverly if he develops no other offensive skills.

He really needs to work on his ball handling and playmaking, but he's got good passing vision. Not sure what their plan is for him this year but maybe they force him to handle the ball more. I'd imagine he continues starting barring some big signing in FA.

Quote Originally Posted by SwishSquared
    Jazz maintained their great defense even when Gobert was off the floor post-Kanter trade. Favors & others stepped up and deserve credit, but Exum performed very well defensively for a rookie point guard. If his 3 ball pans out, he's a rich man's Beverly if he develops no other offensive skills.

He really needs to work on his ball handling and playmaking, but he's got good passing vision. Not sure what their plan is for him this year but maybe they force him to handle the ball more. I'd imagine he continues starting barring some big signing in FA.
    They need a proven vet anyway you look at it. Right now Alec Burks should be their pg as far as I'm concerned. Need someone else proven. They have money and assets so there is no excuse for the Jazz to have guys on the floor next year that haven't earned it and Exum and Burke haven't.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

The kids going to be a great defensive PG in the coming years. He's deceptively quick.

He's also long. They say he's grown taller and bigger too!