Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Is Michael Jordan overrated?

i have a question for those who dont believe jordan is the greatest ever. who is why and what would jordan have needed to do to to be the greatest in your eyes.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

this type of thread reminds me why I don't even visit this section anymore.

*goes back to the off the court*

Even his fanboys admit he's overrated, I think you got your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    i have a question for those who dont believe jordan is the greatest ever. who is why and what would jordan have needed to do to to be the greatest in your eyes.
    well, he certainly didn't do enough to convince me...he collected his titles in watered down 90's with amazing squad and very talented coach - you could feel like he didn't even need to play his best to win those rings, that's how much Bulls were superior to other teams. As for his stats, they are very impressive, but as others already mentioned, Wilt was more dominant statistically, Russell was a GOAT winner and KAJ had better longevity...

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Why? Is there a need for someone to be the ultimate best and the clear cut greatest? What if there wasn't anyone to be called that?

It there a greatest painter? Best composer ever? GOAT writer?
    Last edited by elementally morale; 12-23-2009 at 07:58 PM.

Saw a basketball once

Can someone explain to me how he's overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by cotdt
    Shaq and KAJ were more dominant than Jordan in their primes. Wilt might have been even more dominant, but I was not born yet when he dominated so I don't know. Jordan probably the GOAT wing player, though both Kobe and Lebron have many years left.
    i dont see how shaq and kareem were more dominant in their prime. maybe id concede shaq but even with him is defense was suspect. which cancels him out. not to mention he was lazy.

kareem was great stats wise but he didnt win in his prime very much the 80s lakers were magics team. so to speak

Quote Originally Posted by stpwned
    Can someone explain to me how he's overrated?
    What if you read a few answers in this very thread for a start?

Quote Originally Posted by madmax
    well, he certainly didn't do enough to convince me...he collected his titles in watered down 90's with amazing squad and very talented coach - you could feel like he didn't even need to play his best to win those rings, that's how much Bulls were superior to other teams. As for his stats, they are very impressive, but as others already mentioned, Wilt was more dominant statistically, Russell was a GOAT winner and KAJ had better longevity...
    this post is laughable. MJ didnt even need to play his best? you never saw Jordan play did you? and calling the 90s watered down when it was the best era ever, even if you could compare eras anyway. that is laughable too.

but i guess you didnt even need to post your best to make that post right?

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    Why? Is there a need for someone to be the ultimate best and the clear cut greatest? What if there wasn't anyone to be called that?

lets not get philosophical. obviously this is all opinion. but im hearing people say hes overrated and i just know that jordan unlike every other player in the league jordan had no weakness. he was great at most things and solid to very good, at everything else.

lets not get philosophical. obviously this is all opinion. but im hearing people say hes overrated and i just know that jordan unlike every other player in the league jordan had no weakness. he was great at most things and solid to very good, at everything else.
    Well, look at your username. It is your profession to think MJ was the sh!t. And it is not philosophical in the least. Why do we all have to choose one player as the 'best'?

If I can't decide who I think the best actor/musician/writer/composer/etc. is, why should I know who the best ballplayer was?

Well, look at your username. It is your profession to think MJ was the sh!t. And it is not philosophical in the least. Why do we all have to choose one player as the 'best'?

If I can't decide who I think the best actor/musician/writer/composer/etc. is, why should I know who the best ballplayer was?
    Sometimes I wonder if people comprehend why Jordan is regarded by most of his peers to be the Goat...I pretty much ignore the BS arguments that I hear against Jordan, because most of them are fueled by their homerism and love of Kobe, pretty simple...

I'm sick of hearing watered down nineties, weak era, blah blah blah, he played with many hall of famers, guys regarded as the best who ever played, so don't feed me that crap, ISH is predominantly Lakers/Kobe fans, so I do expect Jordan to be called overrated, not GOAT, and fans who have never seen him play say he played in a watered down league...

I don't know why I waste my time defending Jordan, but I really hope that one of my posts may inspire some people to say hey, maybe I should watch a few series or games of Jordan's, maybe my ignorance is clouding my opinion, maybe someone was better than Kobe, before he came into the league...

Jordan has the strongest case for GOAT among the worldwide basketball comunity. He IS overrated to some extent, but if he wasn't, he would still hold up as the best case for GOAT.

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    this post is laughable. MJ didnt even need to play his best? you never saw Jordan play did you? and calling the 90s watered down when it was the best era ever, even if you could compare eras anyway. that is laughable too.

but i guess you didnt even need to post your best to make that post right?
    I saw him play plenty of times in the 90's, and I was old enough to make my own judgement. Granted I was a bit too young to watch his peak statistic years in the 80's, but he also wasn't winning much then, didn't he? And by the time he became a winner, he already had a great team arround him. And those Bulls were damn talented squad, no one can deny that...

It's easier to rank performances in sports than most arts. This is because sports gives out winners and losers and more quantitative parameters for comparison.