Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default What if magic johnson was drafted to the worst team in the league

What would his career be like

Default Re: What if magic johnson was drafted to the worst team in the league

Somewhere between fatass Shawn Kemp and prime Chauncey Billups. Fringe all-star at best.

No HIV

5-time NBA All-Star

Magic was a winner in HS, College and the Pros. He would have found a way to win. I think he would have been more of a scorer and rebounder. But the difference from the top to the bottom isn't what it is today. One good player could totally flip a team in the 70's.

But lets say he went to New Orleans the worse team in the league in '79.

Truck Robinson 24/13
    Spencer Haywood 24/10
    Pete Maravich. 23/5 would definitely be traded was also the leader of selfish play on the team. Still had gate pulling power.
    Jim McElroy 17/6 assist and shot much better from the floor than Maravich
    Rich Kelly 16/13 rebounds
    Gail Goodrich 13/5 assist guard

That's a winning team with Magic especially if you trade Maravich and Truck for a taller player like Rollins or George Johnson and a rookie like Moncrief The team is definitely a contender. If they caught Houston at the right time, with Malone instead of Rollins/Johnson they definitely beat the Lakers year in and year out.

New Orleans Jazz did overhaul that team but did acquire Darrell Griffifth, Bernard King and the Center Eaton within two years. Dantly would have been traded for another good piece. They still would have been a very good team one way or the other. The Jazz was a team that would have made moves in the early 80's to build around Magic

I usually hit open layups

His career would have went like Isiah Thomas. A team would have been built around him from start. Probably 2 or 3 rings. A great career. Magic reminds me of Lebron in his Cavs days. Magic could make everybody around him better.

A player that dominant on the worst team in the league would mean he'd average Oscar Robertson-like stats. Also, he definitely wouldn't have won 5 rings. Maybe 1
    Last edited by Smook A.; 06-23-2014 at 12:18 PM.

"Better" stats from the get-go and also still a winner, plus he's probably the best at making his teammates better, but definitely not 5 rings, I'd say 2 with the right moves (with more going to the Celtics and the 76ers)... Also, most likely, few people would put him above Bird (who was actually drafted to the team with the 2nd worst record, and had a better prime/peak, plus more impactful from the get-go), as far as careers.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    "Better" stats from the get-go and also still a winner, plus he's probably the best at making his teammates better, but definitely not 5 rings, I'd say 2 with the right moves (with more going to the Celtics and the 76ers)... Also, most likely, few people would put him above Bird (who was actually drafted to the team with the 2nd worst record, and had a better prime/peak, plus more impactful from the get-go), as far as careers.

This. I'd say the same for Kobe as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    Magic was a winner in HS, College and the Pros. He would have found a way to win. I think he would have been more of a scorer and rebounder. But the difference from the top to the bottom isn't what it is today. One good player could totally flip a team in the 70's.

But lets say he went to New Orleans the worse team in the league in '79.

Truck Robinson 24/13
    Spencer Haywood 24/10
    Pete Maravich. 23/5 would definitely be traded was also the leader of selfish play on the team. Still had gate pulling power.
    Jim McElroy 17/6 assist and shot much better from the floor than Maravich
    Rich Kelly 16/13 rebounds
    Gail Goodrich 13/5 assist guard

That's a winning team with Magic especially if you trade Maravich and Truck for a taller player like Rollins or George Johnson and a rookie like Moncrief The team is definitely a contender. If they caught Houston at the right time, with Malone instead of Rollins/Johnson they definitely beat the Lakers year in and year out.

New Orleans Jazz did overhaul that team but did acquire Darrell Griffifth, Bernard King and the Center Eaton within two years. Dantly would have been traded for another good piece. They still would have been a very good team one way or the other. The Jazz was a team that would have made moves in the early 80's to build around Magic
    Magic was not in the league in 1979.

Goodrich retired after the 1979 season, Truck was traded during it, Maravich couldn't do much at that point and was gone too, McElroy went to Detroit/Atlanta, Haywood was with the Lakers in 1980 (traded for Dantley), Rich Kelley not with the team in 1980 as well.

Assuming he'd play with the (actual) 1980 Jazz, in Utah already... He'd be on a pretty shitty team, and at that point the future was not bright...

Dantley was a terrific talent/player, mostly as a scorer, but he didn't give two shits about defense, and he was plenty of times a locker-room cancer who always wanted to run the show, so with Magic's progression he'd have to be traded. They never saw the potential in Bernard King, and traded him, too. And apart from that they had very little to work with... were stuck in less than mediocrity for some years but I must admit they made some good moves but certainly not good enough to win it all, or close, or, in this case, not the team to be built around Magic (or any player of that level, in order to win). So after years of dwelling on average, with Magic at the helm, I can see them making some good moves down the line and, with peak Johnson, actually winning it all in the late 80s, like 2 at best (Celtics and 76ers getting more than they got, Lakers with the right moves still winning some).

Actually, in the 1979 draft, the Lakers were strongly considering going with Sidney Moncrief (West wanted him, I believe) but ultimately went with Magic.
    Last edited by SHAQisGOAT; 06-23-2014 at 12:53 PM.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    Magic was not in the league in 1979.

Goodrich retired after the 1979 season, Truck was traded during it, Maravich couldn't do much at that point and was gone too, McElroy went to Detroit/Atlanta, Haywood was with the Lakers in 1980 (traded for Dantley), Rich Kelley not with the team in 1980 as well.

Assuming he'd play with the (actual) 1980 Jazz, in Utah already... He'd be on a pretty shitty team, and at that point the future was not bright...

Dantley was a terrific talent/player, mostly as a scorer, but he didn't give two shits about defense, and he was plenty of times a locker-room cancer who always wanted to run the show, so with Magic's progression he'd have to be traded. They never saw the potential in Bernard King, and traded him, too. And apart from that they had very little to work with... were stuck in less than mediocrity for some years but I must admit they made some good moves but certainly not good enough to win it all, or close, or, in this case, not the team to be built around Magic (or any player of that level, in order to win). So after years of dwelling on average, with Magic at the helm, I can see them making some good moves down the line and, with peak Johnson, actually winning it all in the late 80s, like 2 at best (Celtics and 76ers getting more than they got, Lakers with the right moves still winning some).

Actually, in the 1979 draft, the Lakers were strongly considering going with Sidney Moncrief (West wanted him, I believe) but ultimately went with Magic.
    Its a hypothetical question, therefore not a reality. I just gave a profile of the last place team. Which actually wasn't scared of making moves. With Magic on the team we can't say who stays or moves. There is no way of really knowing. Every player put on a last place might not win it all. Kareem had the longest dominant run and he only won once in subpar 70's. Its all quess work. But one thing is very clear, there are a few players that had very definite winning ways about them. To me its seems to be Magic, Russell, Duncan and Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    This. I'd say the same for Kobe as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    To me its seems to be Magic, Russell, Duncan and Jordan.
    You're missing Bird. And arguably, Shaq. Oh and Lebron.
    Last edited by Marchesk; 06-23-2014 at 02:26 PM.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lebronxrings
    LeBron would be sitting on 35% fg percentage 6 turnovers for his Finals history if he styaed on the worst team in the league when he got drafted.

he was drafted by the lakers and isnt 2/5 get over it. stop trying to drag everyone down with Mr. Le2for5

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebronxrings
    I was talking about the "he wouldn't win 5 but still win a couple" part.