Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: coaching staff?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default coaching staff?

So I guess Horny's in? Top assistant? Could bring in Natt? Karl wants in. He'd be welcome if he wants to coach the bigs. Maybe he could get Stockton to come too. Chiesa(sp?) is available I think too. Jeff Malone,l Brown Bear and Eisley all coach too. I'm sure others. I hope they don't go with Jeff Malone or Eisley. Brown Bear was close with Karl. I'd hire Mussleman personally to coach some D. Move Layden back to the front office.

I guess AK is gone too if he and Deron went at it like has been reported?

Default Re: coaching staff?

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    So I guess Horny's in? Top assistant? Could bring in Natt? Karl wants in. He'd be welcome if he wants to coach the bigs. Maybe he could get Stockton to come too. Chiesa(sp?) is available I think too. Jeff Malone,l Brown Bear and Eisley all coach too. I'm sure others. I hope they don't go with Jeff Malone or Eisley. Brown Bear was close with Karl. I'd hire Mussleman personally to coach some D. Move Layden back to the front office.

I guess AK is gone too if he and Deron went at it like has been reported?
    I'd bring in Karl too. He said all that have to do is call him and he'll be there, that's an offer you don't refuse in my mind. If Horny gets an assistant job, then maybe i'd hire another assistant who's had some experience (Like Mussleman).

Layden did a shit job in charge of NY, but he'd be working under O'Connor i'm assuming, so that wouldn't bother me. Or he can go back to scouting or something.

He said all that have to do is call him and he'll be there, that's an offer you don't refuse in my mind.
    Yeah but it sounds like they've been refusing him since he retired. I'd have at least had him in camp working with guys in the fall. He also thinks he's a headman so who knows if he'd be in as a lowly assistant?

If Horny gets an assistant job, then maybe i'd hire another assistant who's had some experience (Like Mussleman).
    Could use some new blood after all this time. Bring in some fresh ideas.

Layden did a shit job in charge of NY, but he'd be working under O'Connor i'm assuming, so that wouldn't bother me. Or he can go back to scouting or something.
    He could definitely be better utilized there. The problem in NY was that money was no object and it causes people to do stupid things. Happened with Isiah and Larry Brown too. Jazz paying luxury tax has been a bad experiment too for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    Could use some new blood after all this time. Bring in some fresh ideas.
    If they did hire someone new, you'd have to think there may be some discomfort in being the "outsider" of the coaching staff. Seemingly everyone they get involved in the organization has had a previous association with the club.

That's why I mentioned mostly former Jazz players. Mussleman is old school and would fit in though and he knows something about D which I'm not sure anyone else on the staff does. Layden is being called the lead assistant. Not convinced he's qualified.

Jazz | Utes | Raiders UtahJazzFan88's Avatar

I really hope Ty Corbin can pick-up a defensive minded assistant as a head coach, someone like Tom Thibodeau, then again Thibs looks like he could be a great coach for quite a while with his defense.

[quote]Danny Ainge's son Austin is the head coach of the Maine Red Claws of the D-League.

Looks like Krystkowiak might be the new Utes head man. Another guy the Jazz could have looked at. He played for the Jazz. Has been a head man in the league and could help with Favors. I'm guessing he's behind Mitchell in NJ.

have so many people I’ve gotten involved. I’ve got Donnie Walsh, Billy King, Kevin O’Connor, and David Kahn, a whole bunch of guys
    This is from Larry Brown. Maybe Kevin could talk him into being the head assistant and finally teaching some D. They need someone with experience other than Layden next to Corbin that's for sure. Dave Fredman is another guy still with the Jazz that has been an assistant with them I just saw.

Jazz | Utes | Raiders UtahJazzFan88's Avatar

I think Larry would be a great fit, but the problem is that he's really just a short term coach, guy is 68, and has the track record to be a short term coach for a lot of teams.

Mind posting a link to where you got that from?

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb..._brown/?page=2

I think Larry would be a great fit, but the problem is that he's really just a short term coach, guy is 68, and has the track record to be a short term coach for a lot of teams.
    If Larry wants to help I don't see it as a problem. Rather he just came to the summer league(assuming there is one?) and/or Fall camp he would have a lot to offer. I'll take a little of his defensive knowledge over Layden's anyday.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsja...tants.html.csp

Good to hear that he wants more than one guy.

Corbin's probably waiting til after draft. He has names in mind and had a meeting with one.

The Jazz might hire as many as two new assistants, and could add a development coach. The team is still going through the hiring process, though, and the draft takes precedence.

Last edited by Xiao Yao You; 06-26-2011 at 12:54 PM.