Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default Handchecking benefitted the offensive player....

Straight from the horses mouth....."Did I? I did it a lot." This is what most offensive players did back in the days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgUqb5hWAVY

Every coach in every level of basketball will tell you to play defense with your feet. It is consider lazy to use your hands when you have to move your feet and get between the offensive player and the basket.

That era was horrible from a fundamental and defensive standpoint.

Banned

Default Re: Handchecking benefitted the offensive player....

So are you trying to tell us that LeBron is the GOAT?

Banned

. Which is why it's laughable when the average nostalgic Jordan fan will immediately point out hand-checking. As if it's evidence that the era wasn't weak after all.

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

Want to know how I know you don't play basketball?

Banned

The rule back in the day was that any part of the defenders body that is on the offensive player, is part of the offensive players' body.

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

Would today's players become better defenders if they were allowed to handcheck? This is the only question you need to ask.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

It benefited any offensive player who had an explosive first step especially in triple threat position. Hand checkers usually aren't disciplined enough with their footing to be able to keep up as they have a divided focus on using their hands first as a reaction. You better have extremely strong and quick hands/arms if you wanna keep up with Jordan.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Debator
    It benefited any offensive player who had an explosive first step especially in triple threat position. Hand checkers usually aren't disciplined enough with their footing to be able to keep up as they have a divided focus on using their hands first as a reaction. You better have extremely strong and quick hands/arms if you wanna keep up with Jordan.
    Especially when he was cheating with those tricks.

I see 9er's on his period today.

Straight from Kobe's mouth:

""It's more of a finesse game," Bryant said before the Lakers played the Chicago Bulls on Monday. "It's more small ball, which, personally, I don't really care much for. I like kind of smash-mouth, old-school basketball because that's what I grew up watching. I also think it's much, much less physical. Some of the flagrant fouls that I see called nowadays, it makes me nauseous. You can't touch a guy without it being a flagrant foul."
    "I like the contact," Bryant said. "As a defensive player, if you enjoy playing defense, that's what you want. You want to be able to put your hands on a guy. You want to be able to hand check a little bit. The truth is, it makes the game [where] players have to be more skillful. Nowadays, literally anybody can get out there and get to the basket and you can't touch anybody. Back then, if guys put their hands on you, you had to have the skill to be able to go both ways, change direction, post up, you had to have a mid-range game because you didn't want to go all the way to the basket because you would get knocked ass over tea kettle. So I think playing the game back then required much more skill."
    http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...ls-nba-finesse

Banned

Kobe before handchecking was abolished (1996-2005)- 22.4 PPG (45% FG, .550 TS, .480 eFG) scoring titles, 36 40+ pt games, 5 50 pt games, 0 60+ pt games

Kobe after handchecking was abolished (2005-2014)- 28.6 PPG (46% FG, .559 TS, .493 eFG), 2 scoring titles, 97 40+ pt games, 15 50 point games, 5 60+ point games

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Kobe before handchecking was abolished (1996-2005)- 22.4 PPG (45% FG, .550 TS, .480 eFG) scoring titles, 36 40+ pt games, 5 50 pt games, 0 60+ pt games

Kobe after handchecking was abolished (2005-2014)- 28.6 PPG (46% FG, .559 TS, .493 eFG), 2 scoring titles, 97 40+ pt games, 15 50 point games, 5 60+ point games

before the zone era, kobe had a finals shooting over 50%
    after the zone era, kobe never had a finals shooting over 50% again

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    before the zone era, kobe had a finals shooting over 50%
    Illegal defense restrictions were lifted in 2001 (zone, without the 3 sec lane rule, had been employed in the league for decades). Kobe had his 50% shooting series in 2002. In '00, he shot 37%, in '01- 41.5%.

after the zone era, kobe never had a finals shooting over 50% again
    So wrong. And as soon as handchecking restrictions were implemented, Bean immediately had his 2 best scoring seasons and won b2b scoring titles... 10 seasons after he was drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by The Immortal
    Are we going to take MJ's words or Kobe's? Kobe or MJ.. your call.

BTW if you pick Kobe you're essentially saying Kobe> MJ. Do you really want to be ostracised/banned from the Jordan camp?
    MJ just showing us his tricks during that era where handcheking is allowed. Since 9er is a Kobe fan, I'm pointing out what Kobe said that the past era is tougher than today's era and removing handchecking makes it easier for perimeter players today. Also, it's not Kobe alone who said that, players and coaches as well. I just used Kobe's quote against the OP since he is a Kobe fan. Look at the stats Don posted. Perimeter scoring has become easier due to no handchecking rule. Result = scoring averages of perimeter players bloomed. Put prime MJ in today's era. He would absolutely tear the league. If you can't touch him, good luck stopping him.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Face
    MJ just showing us his tricks during that era where handcheking is allowed. Since 9er is a Kobe fan, I'm pointing out what Kobe said that the past era is tougher than today's era and removing handchecking makes it easier for perimeter players today. Also, it's not Kobe alone who said that, players and coaches as well. I just used Kobe's quote against the OP since he is a Kobe fan. Look at the stats Don posted. Perimeter scoring has become easier due to no handchecking rule. Result = scoring averages of perimeter players bloomed. Put prime MJ in today's era. He would absolutely tear the league. If you can't touch him, good luck stopping him.
    Your love for MJ is sickening.