Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Casual NBA fans

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Default Re: Casual NBA fans

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    i've seen kobe at his best. lebron is better. no i didn't see ai at his best but if you argue that he's better than those ACTUAL LEGENDS than something is wrong with you. and i like ai.
    you were better off not saying anything. cause saying you saw kobe at his best(2008) when you were 10 years old is like me saying hey arnold is the greatest show ever cause i loved it when i was 10 years old.

you completely missed the years before that, his first championship run, when he was just as amazing playing next to shaq. to say one player is better than another, you really have to take in account their whole career. and not just stats on paper, but actually watching the games.

Great college starter SyRyanYang's Avatar

I'm definitely not Fresh Kid.

Anyways I've been posting on ISH since I was 12. I was able to analyze the game enough to understand.
    That's what your mommy told you when she tucked you in at night?

Love Live Life

I try not engage in any of the basketball talk when I'm with friends or at bars cause I know they gonna say something dumb and upset me

Quote Originally Posted by Levity
    you were better off not saying anything. cause saying you saw kobe at his best(2008) when you were 10 years old is like me saying hey arnold is the greatest show ever cause i loved it when i was 10 years old.

you completely missed the years before that, his first championship run, when he was just as amazing playing next to shaq. to say one player is better than another, you really have to take in account their whole career. and not just stats on paper, but actually watching the games.
    But do you disagree with my opinion? Peak Lebron is better than Kobe ever was. Agree or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Wavves
    This is true, I'm 18 now, and have watched basketball since I was around 13, and you really don't start forming your own opinion and being able to really analyze what is going on until your around 15 maybe 16. Before then, your just listening to other peoples opinions and riding off that.
    You still can't really analyze basketball when you're 15, but you've hit the age when you can actually start to learn.

Home of the 16

Quote Originally Posted by TheReal Kendall
    I try not engage in any of the basketball talk when I'm with friends or at bars cause I know they gonna say something dumb and upset me
    I feel the same way. To me they're just so dumb when it comes to basketball. They pretend they know so much. One time when I went to visit my parents, my step-dad was playing 'association mode' on 2k14 & he was moving players around, trading, signings, etc.,. & he said, "I'm tryna get Amare for defense..." & I was just like & he tries so hard to sound professional about everything!!! Which makes me giggle, & I just walk away from it sometimes...

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

But do you disagree with my opinion? Peak Lebron is better than Kobe ever was. Agree or not?
    i never partake in these conversations because better is such anobjective term. kobe and lebron's games are completely different besides the fact that they are both ball dominant. both had different kind of help through out their career, faced different defenses, played in different conference, and both had their fair share of failures and well as success

so trying to pick the better player out of the two is really just a matter of preference since the content of their careers are much different.

Love Live Life

Quote Originally Posted by $LakerGold
    I feel the same way. To me they're just so dumb when it comes to basketball. They pretend they know so much. One time when I went to visit my parents, my step-dad was playing 'association mode' on 2k14 & he was moving players around, trading, signings, etc.,. & he said, "I'm tryna get Amare for defense..." & I was just like & he tries so hard to sound professional about everything!!! Which makes me giggle, & I just walk away from it sometimes...

Home of the 16

I grew up with an uncle who followed the game religiously, & that helped me sharpen up my knowledge about the game.

Lebron is definitely not > than Kobe.

Home of the 16

Quote Originally Posted by TheReal Kendall
    Exactly

Love Live Life

Exactly
    You should've turned the system off.

My friends aren't that bad when it comes to bball but they do know more about football than I do though.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Oh man i feel that.

My friend will do a fantasy draft with me. He picks Lebron and loads up his team.

Drafts Amare

Offensively just tries to score with a lebron, gets murkier on defense because is his paint protector and the gets frustrated that his team sucks.

Like bro maybe if you didn't draft a terrible defensive player to use solely on..defense, maybe it wouldn't be so easy to drive the lane on offense and pack the lane on defense since your best offensive players are Lebron, and IGGY who can't consistently hit jumpers

Quote Originally Posted by rhowen4
    My roommate said Shaq was the laughingstock of the league when he played because of free throw shooting.
    hellz yea, ol "hack a shaq" method was funny az hell

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

They can see some things (shooting ability, fancy ball handling ability, speed, jumping ability, dunking ability) but don't really have the eye for other things like passing vision, man-on-man defense, help defense, ability to move off the ball, bball IQ, etc.

And of course sometimes there are whole players and teams that they even never see because they are not popular (Paul George, Marc Gasol, Lamarcus Aldridge, etc).

So just realize this and don't get too mad.

You might sound pretty dumb if you tried talking about MLB or something that you don't watch much.

Good High School Starter AussieG's Avatar

I think it's more that they pay attention to hype and marketing.. and have short memories.. rather than not watching the finer points of the game. That's true too, but I think ESPN, hype and marketing is the biggest thing. Casuals have a lazy way of following the sport which means relying on what others tell them, rather than seeing for themself.