Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Phoenix Suns Forum

Phoenix Suns Forum Phoenix Suns forum - Phoenix Suns message board

Old 04-23-2008, 09:13 AM   #1
3stat2
Local High School Star

Default Thoughts on the next few games

Ok so obviously these losses have been pretty annoying, considering we were up by double digits at several points in both games. Enough with the and
It's time to look ahead.

I think one change D'Antoni could try is to put DJ Strawberry on Tony Parker. That's right, the rookie, DJ Strawberry. Now he's going to be ****e on offense, and it might end up being more like 4 on 5 at times. But the guy can flat out defend. I'm sure there are several lineup combinations we could use to incorporate DJ in without crippling the offense. Maybe even soemthing like Shaq, Amare, Bell, DJ and Nash. Nash can take Finley or Bowen on D.

We've seen stretches this season where he's done well against many players including Kobe Bryant. The guy came number 1 in the draft athleticism tests - he has some good lateral movement speed and agility, and a decent vert. He's 6'4, stronger than Parker and has long arms. Most importantly, he has a defensive mindset. Defense is his focus. He's mentioned numerous times that he aims to use defense as his strength, his reason for continuing to be in the league. The guy is definitely going to be motivated, he's playing for security beyond his little rookie contract.

So I think it wouldn't hurt to try him on TP early on in the game for a few minutes. See how he goes. If his inexperience proves to be his downfall against a player like Parker, then take him out quickly. No harm done. If he turns out to be Parker's kryptonite - then it might turn out like last year's playoffs when everyone suddenly realised we should stick Kurt Thomas on Duncan. (Regarding that - Kurt still couldn't fully stop him, but he slowed him down. The lightbulb clicked late in game 1, and in game 2, KT played heaps and we blew them out.)

Of course, knowing D'Antoni, this will never happen. Expect to see Diaw get 45 minutes. :)

Regarding the current state of our team - the reality is that we are in a very very tough position. But regardless of whether or not he makes this particular change - I'm still keeping my hopes up. To be optimistic - if we defend our home court and tie it up 2-2, then it's just like last year, and this time we won't have suspended players. We'll definitely still be in it.

Things look down right now - but the Suns won't go out without a fight.
3stat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:42 PM   #2
flemingho
Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: Thoughts on the next few games

This is indeed very frustrating and a little bit discouraging.

We can't win against the defending champs (or any good team) if we always have 2-3 players not contributing. Out of 7 possible contributors there is only 3 players in double digits. We can't have Barbosa and Hill having 0 points by the end of the game. Especially if someone has a 0-7 FG% outing. That's like 7 wasted attempts.

We can't afford to be inconsistent offensively. Good defense isn't enough in the Western conference. I think the Suns should try to get SA in foul trouble early.

It looks like Nash is off his game. It's hard to believe he wasted another shot clock. It almost seems like he's missing a bit of passion. We might be watching his last decent year. :-(

I hope the Suns can make a good long series, and hopefully win it.

Go Suns!!
flemingho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:05 AM   #3
alexthegod
Local High School Star

Interesting stat for the playoffs, teams that get up 2-0 are 191-13.

I'm still shaking my head about the 3 pointer by Duncan. That first game felt like game 7!

Like Statman said PHX needs to hold serve and win both games if they have any kind of chance in this series.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:08 AM   #4
23airjordan23
Nash 4 MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegod
Interesting stat for the playoffs, teams that get up 2-0 are 191-13.

I'm still shaking my head about the 3 pointer by Duncan. That first game felt like game 7!

Like Statman said PHX needs to hold serve and win both games if they have any kind of chance in this series.
Yeh we have to win the next 2 games or we a phucked
23airjordan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 04:49 AM   #5
3stat2
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stat2
Things look down right now - but the Suns won't go out without a fight.

Well. Hmmmmmm. Time to hope they can make history, lol.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:09 AM   #6
3stat2
Local High School Star

Ok. According to AZ Central, Amare destroyed the door to his storage locker after the game. He now has a splinter of wood hanging off the hinges.

The next game will tell us a LOT about the strength of character of the team - Nash and Shaq especially. I know Amare is going to come out aggressive, but maybe too aggressive.

Edit - and guess what?! Parker killed us today. DJ Strawberry probably has the quickness to slip around those screens and take away his jumpshot. BAH!

Last edited by 3stat2 : 04-26-2008 at 05:59 AM.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:22 AM   #7
Run&Gun=Fun
128 time NBA All Star

May as well try anything now.

They win game 1 and the series has a completely different complexion...Its a mental thing now the SPurs have owned the Suns for 4 years now.
Run&Gun=Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:06 AM   #8
flemingho
Learning to shoot layups

Down 3-0. Yup, looks like we're done with the series, unless we make history. Would be nice not to be swept, though. Amare needs to step up, and shoulder the team. Our shooters aren't delivering.
flemingho is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: