Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: We were all lied to...80s and 90s "physicality"

Quote Originally Posted by TheCorporation
    To all the old idiots in this thread that think they know something, watch the video.

Open your eyes, stop living in the past.
    Bran stans in a fking nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceJam2
    Did you even watch the video ash boy?

Shit

Someone get that dope lasik surgery. If that doesn't work? Shock therapy.

Don't get how you can watch games from the 80s/90s and today but come to that conclusion.

Lied to? By who? Use your eyes. The game was more physical. Better? That's debatable and depends on what you deem "better". But physical? As in what fouls are now weren't fouls then? Handchecking? Packed paint? Less three's and more emphasis in the post and midrange (which means less spacing).

Absolutely.

Serious playground baller Nowoco's Avatar

People who make these videos have never played ball, never watched 80s/90s games and dont do any research besides whats on BR.

They bore me to tears.

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    Someone get that dope lasik surgery. If that doesn't work? Shock therapy.

Don't get how you can watch games from the 80s/90s and today but come to that conclusion.

Lied to? By who? Use your eyes. The game was more physical. Better? That's debatable and depends on what you deem "better". But physical? As in what fouls are now weren't fouls then? Handchecking? Packed paint? Less three's and more emphasis in the post and midrange (which means less spacing).

Absolutely.
    If it's not a boxscore, they won't understand it

Quote Originally Posted by Nowoco
    People who make these videos have never played ball, never watched 80s/90s games and dont do any research besides whats on BR.

They bore me to tears.
    Which is why their opinion only holds any value to someone trying to over compensate for themselves that never watched 80s/90s ball. Cringy lil bastards I tell ya.

Jokic Stan

The 80's were only more physical based on what was a technical foul and what wasn't...however the 90's definitely had more physical defense then now...however defenses were also more simple in nature and guarded the paint more, leaving a lot of open shots 18 feet and out. Offenses were also a lot more simple and slower as well in the 90's.

The game is faster now due to different skillsets ALONG with how defense is played.

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    I saw that video a few weeks ago. To me it was truly one of the most ignorant videos that I had ever seen in my life. Like pure misleading news. Fake news.

Edit: The best comparison is politics, where the different parties, misleads, take things out of context, completely ignore facts that should be relevant that goes against their argument, puts it all in a nice package, and the sheep eats it completely. Shutting down their brains to obvious facts, like scoring going up and up, and the players themselves who have played in both era constantly talking about how much softer the rules have made the game.

In short, an intelligent person would see that the video does not add up, while a moron would eat it all up.

To me it's not the basketball aspect of the video, it's a disgusting video in the context of how easily it is to manipulate groups of people through the media.

Outside of basketball such manipulation leads to racism, wars, deaths, etc. The guy is basically taking a page out CNN's Fox, etc book.

fuming

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater

fuming
    He's got a point.

Its insulting to people who've watched the game...going on decades now.

Think of an American whose never been to Germany. And them telling you what life is "REALLY" like out there. Cringe might not even describe that accurately

Watched the video
    This is the evidence
    Peirce and Rose score more points during hand checking era,
    Stephen Jackson started 3 years prior to Lebron but talks like a 90s guy,
    Picks a random Bulls game vs the Pistons and complains about the fouls on MJ and Pippen ,says they're not hard enough
    Poorly attempts to construct an argument that illegal defense removal makes it harder to score and that's why we have so many 3 attempts. Doesn't mention defensive 3 seconds.
    Thoroughly convincing, please post more videos that represent your opinions.

Bron/Brady not top 10 Mr.GOAT2408's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nowoco

They bore me to tears.
    Pretty sure this guy actually did, maybe even college. I've seen his stuff, he's a good content maker but this video was poorly researched and he ended up apologizing on the response video someone posted earlier in this thread

It literally defies logic the lengths these kids go to prop up this era. There were freak athletes like Wilkins and Dawkins, Kemp and Malone, Robinson and Pippen, etc. so the better athlete argument is weak especially when some of the top players (Harden and Curry mainly) aren't even known for their athleticism. They like to use "better athletes" and while some of these recent dudes are something else (Giannis, Embiid, Zion) it's literally always been like this.

Handchecking allowed = more physical defense. Less 3s = less spacing. There weren't as many spot up shooters in those days (3ball was recent and seen as gimmicky) so it was often congested. They can point to no zone defense but teams don't implement zone all that much (I think the Heat led in like 10% and most teams used it 5% of the time) and thanks to almost every player in the lineup being a threat to shoot 3s there's enough space to where any shot creator can iso and still face only 1 defender, 2 max.

The fact that free throw % - the purest stat we have - has remained roughly the same throughout history is telling. Hovering at 75-77% since 1970 and only being below 70% before the 50s. That's despite better training

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater

fuming
    Facts always hurt these guys to the core. All you have to do is post facts and they get hurt.

Facts always hurt these guys to the core. All you have to do is post facts and they get hurt.
    I see you finally wiped the tears away after watching the apologetic response video to build up enough confidence to shit post once again.

Your era sucks for basketball but it