Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Top 5 Players you wish you watched play

1. AI
    2. Wilt
    3. david Robinson, I watched him as a kid but I don't remember much. actually kinda thought he was boring. but as an adult I appreciate it now.
    4. prime wade
    5. spud webb, one of my favorite players and not enough games online.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT

Young Terry Cummings was a beast; big and ripped, very athletic, good post-game, solid jumper, very good scorer, good on the boards, nice defensive player... Pretty fun to watch.

Then you got El Sid (leading them), who's most likely the GOAT m2m guard/perimeter defender... Something like a poor man's (prime) D-Wade on offense (similar in "style") too, great rebounding guard...

They also Pressey during those years, one of the greatest point-forwards ever, great defender.

Those teams were pretty great and exciting to watch on both ends... Shame that they were playing in (arguably) the GOAT conference, and then injuries derailed them.
    Thanks.

As with Daugherty, there isn't a whole lot of footage out there on them (not that I can find anyway). I've seen enough of Moncrief to know he's one of the GOAT perimeter defenders, and he was more than capable of being the team's primary offensive option (I think he was All-NBA First Team once, though I'm not sure).

I have some old Spurs games which Cummings played in but he obviously wasn't what he was in Milwaukee. I heard he was a pretty lethal post scorer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.J4ever
    Agree about Cummings. But before Cummings went there, it was Marques Johnson. He was a heck of a player/perennial AllStar/ all round SF. He would handle the point at times for the Bucks as their Point forward, but later on, yes it was Paul Presey.
    True, Marques was a baller, easily one of the most underrated/overlooked players ever. Dude had a great peak at the SF position, great point forward too like you've mentioned... Just a great all-around player in his best years, forgotten plenty nowadays.
    Top2 SF in the league at some point, even made all-nba 1st over Erving once (Dr was the #1 SF in the league though)

Yea, before Moncrief/Cummings/Pressey/Pierce and so on, it was Marques/Winters/Bridgeman/(old) Lanier/Buckner... then Sid came around.
    Coached by Nellie during the those years, who ran a great defensive "system", a defensive minded team before he coached the run-n-gun Run-TMC.

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    Thanks.

As with Daugherty, there isn't a whole lot of footage out there on them (not that I can find anyway). I've seen enough of Moncrief to know he's one of the GOAT perimeter defenders, and he was more than capable of being the team's primary offensive option (I think he was All-NBA First Team once, though I'm not sure).

I have some old Spurs games which Cummings played in but he obviously wasn't what he was in Milwaukee. I heard he was a pretty lethal post scorer.
    True, there's some but not a lot out there (on yt). I remember him in those late 80's/early 90's Cavs squads, which I love(d) to watch. Try to find some Cavs vs Bulls games or something, I believe a friend borrowed me some tapes once...

Moncrief was all-nba 1st at least once, yea. At some point the best SG in the league too, when Gervin declined and before Sid's injuries while Jordan came around too.
    Indeed, dude was a terrific defender, great rebounder for his position/size, and provided more than good enough all-around offense. And he was out there playing hard every night, never "giving up" on any play.

Yea, Cummings had an early peak and he was never the same after injury in 1992 (I believe)... Dude was very hard to guard in his best years though, just really strong, very athletic, equipped with a nice post-game, good footwork and could knock some jumpers
    I remember him alongside D-Rob too.

Decent playground baller

We only started getting NBA in india in the mud 90s.

1. Peak DRob
    2. Magic/ Bird
    3. Wilt
    4. Peak Barkley
    5. 80s MJ

MJ
    Wilt
    Magic
    Dr J
    Hakeem

Good college starter

Earl The Pearl
    ABA Dr. J
    Pistol Pete
    Iceman Gervin
    Tiny Archibald

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    True, Marques was a baller, easily one of the most underrated/overlooked players ever. Dude had a great peak at the SF position, great point forward too like you've mentioned... Just a great all-around player in his best years, forgotten plenty nowadays.
    Top2 SF in the league at some point, even made all-nba 1st over Erving once (Dr was the #1 SF in the league though)

Yea, before Moncrief/Cummings/Pressey/Pierce and so on, it was Marques/Winters/Bridgeman/(old) Lanier/Buckner... then Sid came around.
    Coached by Nellie during the those years, who ran a great defensive "system", a defensive minded team before he coached the run-n-gun Run-TMC.

True, there's some but not a lot out there (on yt). I remember him in those late 80's/early 90's Cavs squads, which I love(d) to watch. Try to find some Cavs vs Bulls games or something, I believe a friend borrowed me some tapes once...

Moncrief was all-nba 1st at least once, yea. At some point the best SG in the league too, when Gervin declined and before Sid's injuries while Jordan came around too.
    Indeed, dude was a terrific defender, great rebounder for his position/size, and provided more than good enough all-around offense. And he was out there playing hard every night, never "giving up" on any play.

Yea, Cummings had an early peak and he was never the same after injury in 1992 (I believe)... Dude was very hard to guard in his best years though, just really strong, very athletic, equipped with a nice post-game, good footwork and could knock some jumpers
    I remember him alongside D-Rob too.
    Just as we talk about Moncrief, I find this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments...y_moncrief_oc/

Some cool stuff here. Definitely gave me a better picture of his game, along with your posts.

I rule the local playground

he was fine, i'm trying to think of a comparison, he just never seemed to shine at big or critical moments. ron harper and price were my favorite cavs back then.

Sarcastic/joke comment or?

What did you think of his play? I've watched maybe two full games of his and there's absolutely nothing on YouTube (2 mixes and 1 game highlight).

To anyone who wish they had seen Wilt play, coming from someone who saw him play in person, take a look at 2000 Shaq and triple the dominance.

NBA All-star

nice thread title.

It makes me think that even just watching the first round of the playoffs might be an indicator in terms of styles or methods, in how future championships may be won.

To see something, others have yet to seen.

Celtics 2016 Champs

1. Larry Bird
    2. Bill Russell
    3. Wilt
    4. Dr. J
    5.Barkley

Quote Originally Posted by GimmeThat
    nice thread title.

It makes me think that even just watching the first round of the playoffs might be an indicator in terms of styles or methods, in how future championships may be won.

To see something, others have yet to seen.

Wilt
    Dr. J
    West
    Oscar
    Prime Kareem (only saw old Kareem)

Just as we talk about Moncrief, I find this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments...y_moncrief_oc/

Some cool stuff here. Definitely gave me a better picture of his game, along with your posts.
    Good read there Some nice insight too.

Love that game-winning floater over Dr J:

Agree with most there but I don't know about those Bucks being fast-paced... Maybe relative to nowadays yea, but opponents are also different along with some "nuances" of the game, so it can't be compared straight up that way.
    During those years they were pretty much always at the very bottom in terms of pace, Payton's Sonics were sometimes at the very top, for comparison... Bucks liked/tried to keep the pace down, and while having some pretty good offense, they were defensive-minded and won more cuz of D.

And yea, you look at some players aready in the HoF and realize that it's such a shame that Moncrief's not there yet, even with his career cut short by degenerative knees.

And that man wasn't out there gambling for steals or something, he was straight up locking down opponents.
    http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=312018
    (read the 2nd post)

YT got some vids of him... Including a hour-long (I think) of him going up against Jordan in the Playoffs, playing some terrific D while contributing on the offense; Cummings playing like a beast too.
    Last edited by SHAQisGOAT; 01-08-2015 at 06:17 PM.

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

Bird
    Hakeem
    Wilt
    Gary Trent
    Danny Ainge