Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    #Dre Day in Sac Town andremiller07's Avatar

Default Re: Klay Thompson gets 4 year max with Warriors

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    DeMar is the only one who you can really argue for, and as much a homer I am, Klay outplayed him in the World Cup. .
    Can people please stop bring up the world cup, they played a bunch of piss weak teams by NBA standards and it means nothing, Faried was the best player on Team USA and aside from Plumlee there is not another player on that roster Faired is even close to being as good as in the NBA.

No one in the league would have paid him that in free agency. I'd let him go even if a team like the Bucks made that offer. Let him go to some small market team. All the big market teams don't have the cap space, and the teams that can afford him probably don't want to pay that much.

Seems like a fair deal. Gordon Hayward is making $14 million this year, then $15 in '15-16, and $16 in '16-'17. Klay is better than Gordon Hayward...so fair deal.

One of the worst deals I've ever seen. Golden State just gave a Wesley Matthews level player 17+ million a year.

Whatever flexibility they had is probably gone after this.

7/11/14 We Witness NattyPButter's Avatar

that 2011 "weak" draft class get paid

Curry is hella mad, watch Thompson take more shots now.

It's hard to put a lot of these deals into context with the TV deal on the horizon, but wow that's a lot of money for Klay. Golden State must feel their lineup is basically set because the kind of money they're going to spend to sign him and the others when their contract is up is going to be really restrictive

Curry will get 20 million.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

this is why I think trading him for Love is so obviously the right move. You get to shed Lee in the process and get just a much better player in Love that is actually worth more than the max on the floor...the true max.

Klay is not worth 17.5 million a year.

Stupid move by the Warriors not to make that trade.

But nothing wrong with paying Klay this much to stay...nothing else they can do.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Godzuki
    i mean how many players on a team can u give a max deal to even with the new money? 3 on average? so many better players to give max money to.
    So much dumb going on here.

In 2 years the league MIN salary will be ~82M with a cap of ~91M and a luxury line of ~111M.

17M for Klay will be a steal in 3 years in that players off rookie deals will be getting ~96M on their 4 year deals.

You guys are still talking about deals that were signed years ago under a completely different financial setting.

Kawai is going to have a line of suitors BEGGING him to take a 2 yr 32M deal with a 3rd yr player option (17M). Which is basically the CParsons deal. Unless he gets injured he will opt out of the 3rd year and sign a new deal for ~25M/season and we'll all have a laugh at SAS for not wanting to sign him for the old max. Max players will be making 30M+ in a few years.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Well Kawhi deserves it because he has a finals mvp something durant doesnt have. Also trash players like Gordian Haywood who never made playoffs got one, why couldn't klay get one. Klay is better than harden. Harden never plays defense, Harden is trash is he doesnt get freethrows for his flopping contract

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
    So much dumb going on here.

In 2 years the league MIN salary will be ~82M with a cap of ~91M and a luxury line of ~111M.

17M for Klay will be a steal in 3 years in that players off rookie deals will be getting ~96M on their 4 year deals.

You guys are still talking about deals that were signed years ago under a completely different financial setting.

Kawai is going to have a line of suitors BEGGING him to take a 2 yr 32M deal with a 3rd yr player option (17M). Which is basically the CParsons deal. Unless he gets injured he will opt out of the 3rd year and sign a new deal for ~25M/season and we'll all have a laugh at SAS for not wanting to sign him for the old max. Max players will be making 30M+ in a few years.

Again, it's not the price that is horrible...although he's not close to worth that actually.

It's that Kevin Love is just a much better player can will be able to be had for a price that is actually less than his on court value. While Klay is getting paid more than his on court value.

Shedding Lee in the process just makes it a no brainer in my opinion.

But I do agree that it's hardly a franchise killer contract or something given the new money coming in. However, we don't know how they are going to spread that money out yet and over what time frame.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    this is why I think trading him for Love is so obviously the right move. You get to shed Lee in the process and get just a much better player in Love that is actually worth more than the max on the floor...the true max.

Klay is not worth 17.5 million a year.

Stupid move by the Warriors not to make that trade.

But nothing wrong with paying Klay this much to stay...nothing else they can do.
    Yup.

And it pointed out the idiocy in the Warriors position. He wasn't worth Love? How in the world is he NOT a rookie-max player then??

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Again, it's not the price that is horrible...although he's not close to worth that actually.

It's that Kevin Love is just a much better player can will be able to be had for a price that is actually less than his on court value. While Klay is getting paid more than his on court value.

Shedding Lee in the process just makes it a no brainer in my opinion.

But I do agree that it's hardly a franchise killer contract or something given the new money coming in. However, we don't know how they are going to spread that money out yet and over what time frame.
    I wasn't directing that at you. Just at all the people that thnk KDs next del is going to be for 18M or whatever.

Cap is expressly outlined in the CBA and the new union president blasted the owners for trying to circumvent it. Teams are going to be racing to get to the floor the next few seasons. There are three teams this year with salary above my projected floor for 17/18.

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
    I wasn't directing that at you. Just at all the people that thnk KDs next del is going to be for 18M or whatever.

Cap is expressly outlined in the CBA and the new union president blasted the owners for trying to circumvent it. Teams are going to be racing to get to the floor the next few seasons. There are three teams this year with salary above my projected floor for 17/18.
    Right...I just wonder if the players will be the ones that want the money evenly spread out.

Because it's going to be hard for Klay to stomach signing this deal and then watching a guy clearly worse make that much or more in 2 years just because of when his contract is up or he's in line for an extension.

I think there could be some backlash by players if that were to happen...and there could potentially be a middle ground sought.