Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hassan Whiteside

Why has the man not been given a fair shot before?

Legit 6'11 without shoes, 7'7 wingspan, and a fairly strong guy down on the block. At worst he is going to give you Birdman like production.

Dude has been my favourite player since joining the Heat. Mainly because he does the things no one else in the team does; play defense and rebound.

These hyper athletic but non skilled bigs do in fact have a place in the league. I'm not sure why GM's don't look into them more, since most of the time they are a handful and a net positive overall, especially if they don't try and do too much, which most of them do not.

Banned

Default Re: Hassan Whiteside

I used to love him in 2K11. He was the best backup big without a doubt and was on such a cheap contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
    I used to love him in 2K11. He was the best backup big without a doubt and was on such a cheap contract.
    That wingspan alone will be enough to get you a few blocks, even on 2k.

It is crazy though, given the numbers he is putting up in a limited amount of minutes, is it dumb to suggest he could put up DeAndre Jordan numbers given the same minutes? He is a better shot blocker already, and probably equal rebounder. Just needs to find his rhythm on pick and rolls.
    Difference is Jordan makes 12 mil a year.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

I believe Sac fans said he couldn't do anything a couple years ago. Perhaps he improved a lot. Where has he been the last couple years? D-league?

I remember him in college. He had a huge game against UNC and then all of a sudden you saw him listed in the lottery of mock drafts. Dude was like a 21 year old freshman, tho, so not sure what happened there.

I always cheer for guys who fight their way into/back into the NBA. Danny Green and Gerald Green -types.

Local High School Star Magic731's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    That wingspan alone will be enough to get you a few blocks, even on 2k.

It is crazy though, given the numbers he is putting up in a limited amount of minutes, is it dumb to suggest he could put up DeAndre Jordan numbers given the same minutes? He is a better shot blocker already, and probably equal rebounder. Just needs to find his rhythm on pick and rolls.
    Difference is Jordan makes 12 mil a year.
    Yes, you are getting a bit ahead of yourself there. I remember years ago people on this board picking him to end up becoming a very serviceable big in this league.

I 100% agree with the deandre Jordan comparison... If he keeps producing like he did tonight 11/10/5blks it's gonna be impossible for spo to keep him outta the starting lineup

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
    I love those backup bigs in NBA 2k.

NBA rookie of the year

http://youtu.be/m-9JGp31oqI

He's been a godsend for Miami. Can't believe a dude this talented fell thru the cracks for so long. Still only 25 too, so there's quite a bit of shelf life there.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

The problem with these types of guys is usually the system. Given a very straightforward job offensively, they become valuable enough on that end for their defense to play. The best version of this is what Dallas has twice been able to do with Tyson Chandler. They've had him do nothing but screen and dive hard to the hoop, sucking up weakside help defense in spite of being a limited offensive player, by allowing him to only take shots that are essentially gimmes. There's no thought or reading situations. Just dive hard. Chad Lowe showed some clips not long ago regarding Larry Sanders, who's another guy cut from this cloth. Sanders has a problem with just rolling hard. He dances and tip toes toward the rim. If help defenders come, he plays to them, cutting off his cut. It blocks passing lanes across the court. And clogs up the space his PG would use.

It seems simple, but there aren't a ton of guys doing this well. And again, there don't seem to be a ton of guys being asked to do this. The Heat run that gear rolling pinwheel sort of offense, and maybe don't want to have a big who can't catch or pass from the mid or high post, being in the way (I haven't watched a ton of them this year). But based on what I've seen of Whiteside, it does seem like in the right situation his skills could get him consistent minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by PJR
    http://youtu.be/m-9JGp31oqI

He's been a godsend for Miami. Can't believe a dude this talented fell thru the cracks for so long. Still only 25 too, so there's quite a bit of shelf life there.
    The reason he and other players who fit his description "falls through the cracks" longer than you think necessary is because they have a limited skill set, so their body, athleticism and understanding of the game has to be completely developed to the standard of other NBA players before they can impact.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

I was high on Whiteside. He was just very raw. I'm not sure what kind of work ethic he has, but with his size and athletic ability he should be able to produce. I'm glad he's finally getting some burn somewhere.

I think he's been good. But let's not overrate him now. The Heat have had pretty crappy centers for a while now, so it feels especially great to see what he's been doing lately. Here's hoping he keeps up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by #number6ix#
    I 100% agree with the deandre Jordan comparison... If he keeps producing like he did tonight 11/10/5blks it's gonna be impossible for spo to keep him outta the starting lineup
    never doubt Spo! he'll find a reason to not play him, pretty sure of it.

He looked great in that video. I don't know why, I do get Thabeet vibes from him.

He can already rebound, block shots, and alter shots which is something the Heat haven't had since probably 2007.

Two things he has to improve on..
    1.) Staying out of foul trouble- Can't be put to use if he is always out of the game in foul trouble. He fouls a ton when a good center takes him on the block 1v1. If he can stay out of foul trouble, I don't see why he can't play 24-28 MPG.

2.) Free Throw shooting- horrendous free throw shooting. If he can shoot freethrows at even a 60% rate, his PPG will skyrocket and will be put to good use in the Heat offense.

He has good hands, and can finish around the basket pretty well. Not to mention he's an athletic freak with long arms.

If he can improve free throw shooting and the pick and roll game, he will score points. He is playing with one of the best PnR players in the league in Wade, and Wade loves to hit the big man rolling to the rim. He has with Zo, Shaq, JO, Bosh and Birdman. Whiteside has all the potential in the world to work along side Wade, and help the Heat team tremendously. Just has to improve free throw shooting and staying out of foul trouble in the game.