Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 10-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Bill Self thinks college bball players should be paid via stipend

Kansas basketball coach Bill Self used to hold a pretty hard-line stance when it came to the contentious issue of compensating NCAA athletes beyond the traditional parameters of a scholarship.

But every year around the NCAA Tournament, Self began to see a noticeable disconnect. The television revenue dollars continued to pile up, the NCAA collecting billions, while the parents of his players had to cough up four or five figures to follow their kids to different tournament sites around the country.

“I used to be totally against it,” Self told The Star. “I used to be totally against doing anything other than room, board, books, tuition and fees. But I’ve changed. And the landscape has changed also. It was always big business; now it’s huge business.

“And when you’re sending players from the West Coast to East Coast to play sports, to miss more classes, and the schools benefit from that financially, why shouldn’t the people that are responsible for the business, and that would be the student athletes.”

-- Kansas City Star
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

ILLsmak has decent reputation
Default Re: Bill Self thinks college bball players should be paid via stipend

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidehoops
Kansas basketball coach Bill Self used to hold a pretty hard-line stance when it came to the contentious issue of compensating NCAA athletes beyond the traditional parameters of a scholarship.

But every year around the NCAA Tournament, Self began to see a noticeable disconnect. The television revenue dollars continued to pile up, the NCAA collecting billions, while the parents of his players had to cough up four or five figures to follow their kids to different tournament sites around the country.

“I used to be totally against it,” Self told The Star. “I used to be totally against doing anything other than room, board, books, tuition and fees. But I’ve changed. And the landscape has changed also. It was always big business; now it’s huge business.

“And when you’re sending players from the West Coast to East Coast to play sports, to miss more classes, and the schools benefit from that financially, why shouldn’t the people that are responsible for the business, and that would be the student athletes.”

-- Kansas City Star

They need to find a way to decide who gets paid the most, though. They need an objective ranking system for each player's value and they need to stop people getting paid under the table. That's the worst part.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: