Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Popovich on Kawhi Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by Giaodollo
    LeBron, Curry, Durant... Wouldn't really put them in the elite category, LeBron is good but does he do it on a nightly basis? Even Davis, who certainly has good defensive stats, but is he really an elite defender?

I think we can certainly put Kahwi in the elite defensive category.

Check Jimmy Butler two years ago and then again last season, we saw him go from an elite defender to a good offensive player and a terrible defender. It is hard to play 100% on both sides, especially as a wing, that makes Kahwi special in my eyes.
    Not at all. He wasn't the same beast he was before his offensive breakout but he was still really good, and when called upon could be the same lockdown defender. Terrible defenders are guys like Nash, Harden, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat
    Yep.

Lebron can be an elite defender, but it is several seasons since he was able to do it consistently. Even in 2012 where he tried for DPOY I thought he was past his defensive prime. Lebron now coasts on defense most of the game and rarely defends the best player on the opposite team.

Great article too, this is why for the non-homer fans, how can you not love the San Antiono Spurs? Such a great team, coach and players with real character. I am now definititely repping the Spurs after a couple seasons liking Bulls, OKC, Spurs, Memphis.

Spurs 2015 is the clear cut casual old school fan team.

Kawhi needs to start passing though, 1 assist is simply embarassing.
    I think he was still pretty decent in '13. He definitely was good in the PO's though. '12 was probably his best and Wade's 2nd best seasons defensively. Actually, Wade's 4th best season defensively. '09, '05, '10, and '12 in that order. Dude was a beast defensively and made Miami's swarming defense work.

Kawhi is there defensively, but his offense is not at an elite level yet. I feel like he's more a system player and needs a good offense to get his points. I've seen only one Spurs game this year though, so I might be wrong.
    Last edited by aj1987; 11-12-2015 at 05:22 PM.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    I think he was still pretty decent in '13. He definitely was good in the PO's though. '12 was probably his best and Wade's 2nd best seasons defensively. Actually, Wade's 4th best season defensively. '09, '05, '10, and '12 in that order. Dude was a beast defensively and made Miami's swarming defense work.

Kawhi is there defensively, but his offense is not at an elite level yet. I feel like he's more a system player and needs a good offense to get his points. I've seen only one Spurs game this year though, so I might be wrong.
    You should watch more Spurs, Kawhi is much better now, still has weaknesses, but has one of the best mid range games in the league. I don't think he could go out and get 30 points if asked every time, but he will be a consistent 20ppg on great efficiency every game.

As for Bran it depends on his teammates, on Heat they all played that great swarming defense where he could fill in passing lanes for steals or him and Wade running down fastbreaks. The Cavs Bron simply isn't even trying in the regular season at least, but he clearly can and opponents should plan for it so they don't get D-Rosed in the playoffs.

Lebron playing in a swarming defense could only work if the Cavs have a guy like Battier and a PG like Wade.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    Not at all. He wasn't the same beast he was before his offensive breakout but he was still really good, and when called upon could be the same lockdown defender. Terrible defenders are guys like Nash, Harden, etc.
    But that's the thing, "when called upon". Not always and when he would put in a maximum effort on defense his offense would take major hit. That's the thing with most players.

We have seen Kahwi this year playing amazing D against superstars and then go up on offense and put up all-star numbers. Which is amazing.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    Kawhi is a good ISO scorer, but he needs to improve his passing ability.

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    This is why MJ gets underrated to some extent because he gave you GOAT level play on both ends. His energy and stamina was also unmatched and a huge part of his success.

Bullshit. MJ didn't give full defensive effort either.
    People act like we don't have access to tape and footage of games.

Jordan was slacking as much as Kobe and Bron. Only difference is, he was even more of a media darling, and not to mention, unlike Bron, and Kobe for certain chunks in his career, MJ was never the primary defender of the best player on the other team.

I am your soldier!

Quote Originally Posted by STATUTORY
    Kobe before achilles tear was the same, n99a had Rondo on the verge of tears in the finals
    The f*ck are you babbling about?

Quote Originally Posted by Giaodollo
    But that's the thing, "when called upon". Not always and when he would put in a maximum effort on defense his offense would take major hit. That's the thing with most players.

We have seen Kahwi this year playing amazing D against superstars and then go up on offense and put up all-star numbers. Which is amazing.
    He was still really good though, you said his defense was terrible. He might not have put in maximum effort consistently but he was still a very good defender, just not a one man wrecking crew like years prior. It's not like he was OKC to Houston Harden where his defense fell off the face of the earth.

Also Butler was fantastic defensively in the playoffs, absolutely wrecked the Bucks on both ends of the floor, and against Cleveland played his usual terrific defense on Lebron (holding him to 46% TS). All while putting up all-star offensive numbers.

Kawhi is awesome right now but Butler is still very much a two-way player.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    The f*ck are you babbling about?

This is why MJ gets underrated to some extent because he gave you GOAT level play on both ends. His energy and stamina was also unmatched and a huge part of his success.

GOAT stayed GOATing.

No. Kobe didn't have MJ's constant motor and stamina. Kobe had to pick his spots on when to expend energy on the D end while MJ's motor was much more consistent on the D end. And Kobe's D dropped off starting the 2009-10 season. Not to mention, he had the luxury of playing with Shaq up until 2004 where defenses didn't square in on him. MJ was a force from the get go and attracted the attention of the D until he retired with the Bulls in 1998. No wing player had to carry such a huge burden for such an extended period of time and still dominate . Wade in 2006 finals but that's a small sample size.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

a lot of misinformation itt
    Last edited by 3ball; 11-13-2015 at 04:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking

Bullshit. MJ didn't give full defensive effort either.
    People act like we don't have access to tape and footage of games.

Jordan was slacking as much as Kobe and Bron. Only difference is, he was even more of a media darling, and not to mention, unlike Bron, and Kobe for certain chunks in his career, MJ was never the primary defender of the best player on the other team.
    ^^^ a pure troll - how about Drexler, Magic, Payton, Isiah Thomas, Reggie Miller... almost everyone.

you guys realize that Pop just said MJ was a better defender than DPOY Kawhi currently is?