Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: Wait, Magic Johnson actually did

Quote Originally Posted by chains5000
    The Heat with those 3 plus Haslem and Miller (coming from a good season at Washington) wasn't a proven team? Really?
    How many proven teams are there in the league then? 3?
    You should look up the definition of proven.

Talented and probably the best team on paper? Sure. Proven? Not at all.

Had they ever played together? Nope. It was a completely new team for everyone. How can that be proven?

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    You should look up the definition of proven.

Talented and probably the best team on paper? Sure. Proven? Not at all.

Had they ever played together? Nope. It was a completely new team for everyone. How can that be proven?
    Ok... I'll remove the proven tag to any that's made major changes, even when signing two All Stars

[QUOTE=pauk]Boy, this article by Mike Downey from 1991 sheds some light on Magic Johnson

Lebron went to Miami even though they had just 3 players on their roster. They had to sign players to build it up

Miami were not a proven team at all

Ok... I'll remove the proven tag to any that's made major changes, even when signing two All Stars
    Sometimes teams need time. Sometimes individually talented players don't fit well.

Sometimes players are over-rated (Bosh)....

And its not like Miller and Haslem played all year. They were hurt the majority of the year. Neither played at an optimal level consistently.

No doubt the Heat were talented and should have won it all, but it was year 1 for them. And that team has some serious flaws to go along with their great talent.

So my only point is that it would be different if Lebron had joined up with the Lakers or Celtics or something. That is not what he did. He went to a team with a ton of talent, but a team that was far from a proven playoff performer.

Sometimes teams need time. Sometimes individually talented players don't fit well.

Sometimes players are over-rated (Bosh)....

And its not like Miller and Haslem played all year. They were hurt the majority of the year. Neither played at an optimal level consistently.

No doubt the Heat were talented and should have won it all, but it was year 1 for them. And that team has some serious flaws to go along with their great talent.

So my only point is that it would be different if Lebron had joined up with the Lakers or Celtics or something. That is not what he did. He went to a team with a ton of talent, but a team that was far from a proven playoff performer.
    Anybody had doubts the Heat would win a title in Lebron's first 3 years there?

Yes, Magic did team up with Kareem. Its not quite the same because Magic was yet to play a NBA game.

However, Magic criticizing Lebron for wanting to go to a loaded team for a good chance to win the title is hypocritical. Magic even admitted that he only came out for the chance to play with the great Kareem.

So lets not act like these older players would turn down the chance to team up with other greats....especially when those other greats were also struggling to win.

Its not like Lebron jumped to a proven championship team or something. He jumped to a team that hadn't won a playoff series in like 5 years and had a coach with almost no experience.

Its hardly as big of a deal as everyone made it out to be....and the Heat team was not nearly as "stacked" as everyone claimed in an effort to downplay a potential title.

I wonder where all the people claiming that the Heat were "so good its unfair" and "its not even competitive" are now. LOL

I know you can play the what if game for everything but it would of been interesting how big of an effect having a heathly mike miller and haslem would of done for the heat

Anybody had doubts the Heat would win a title in Lebron's first 3 years there?
    I don't know. I didn't. I thought and still think they will win 3 titles in 6 years. I did not think they would win in year 1...for different reasons, but nonetheless I didn't have them winning in year 1.

Dmavs41 & All-Net.... finally great posters with logic & sense

I don't know. I didn't. I thought and still think they will win 3 titles in 6 years. I did not think they would win in year 1...for different reasons, but nonetheless I didn't have them winning in year 1.
    Most didn't on here didn't me included. Most had them losing to Boston.

That will change for next season though I think most expect them to win it all in year 2

I wasn't sure either on them winning in their first year, but it was pretty clear to me they'd be winning titles soon.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Dmavs41 & All-Net.... finally great posters with logic & sense
    Maybe they will rub off on you so that you don't lump Magic in with a 4th quarter no show that has yet to prove himself as a champion.

I wasn't sure either on them winning in their first year, but it was pretty clear to me they'd be winning titles soon.
    and they will!

Quote Originally Posted by All Net

Most didn't on here didn't me included. Most had them losing to Boston.

That will change for next season though I think most expect them to win it all in year 2
    Right. I'm not going to act like the Heat team deserves to be labeled as a failure after failing to win year 1. In fact, they made it farther than I expected.

Individually, both Lebron and Bosh were failures this past year in my opinion for how they played. But the team? Nah...not yet. Miller and Haslem were pretty much non factors. They had chemistry issues. Their coach had almost no experience...and their bench/center position was downright awful.

So many things that plagued them last year should get a ton better.