Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Great college starter

Default Re: Why do some People call MJ the greatest defensive player ever?

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    Then you remember very, very wrong. That, or you have no clue as to how to judge defensive impact.
    I remember Jordan making all nba defensive first teams based on his name.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Big#50
    I remember Jordan making all nba defensive first teams based on his name.
    And again, you remember clearly wrong or have no concept of how to judge defensive impact. There was no guard besides Payton during the second three-peat who had a greater defensive impact on games. Only one or two guards had a comparable or perhaps slightly superior one-on-one defenders (most notably Eddie Jones), but none were in the same galaxy as MJ as a team/help defender. And again, team/help defense is the largest component of defensive impact. You're clearly clueless and/or have an agenda.

7-time NBA All-Star

The greatest defensive players in general are big men, and that's why they've dominated the DPOY award, and on a list of greatest defensive players ever. I often think of big men first(Russell, Thurmond, late 60's/early 70's Wilt, Hakeem, Eaton, Robinson, Duncan, Wallace, Howard ect.)

But when discussing perimeter players, Jordan is one of the best ever, and I agree with OldSchool that you have to look at overall defensive impact and not just man to man defense(where the impact depends more on the team you're facing).

Early 90's Jordan was amazing defensively and I've always been particularly impressed with how well he played on that end in 1990 considering how much he did offensively(34 ppg/6 apg)

Here's just an average regular season game(and play like this wasn't uncommon for Jordan at the time).

Embarrasses Vinnie Johnson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeF74F27guA#t=6m33s

Jordan was all over Dumars and forces the turnover. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzFoN...lated#t=11m57s

Aguirre tries to post him up and Jordan strips him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NAeI...elated#t=5m48s

Helped trap Isiah and force him into a big turnover. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FryDvgAmmsw#t=8m43s

Because he was looking to help out a lot, he could get burned by shooters from time to time, but most defensive players have a flaw that can be exposed.

Local High School Star

I don't recall anyone calling him the greatest defensive player ever..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by knickswin
    because somehow people find a way to overrate Michael Jordan. I remember getting in a fight with one of my friends (a Bulls fan) because I said Kobe, TMac, and Carmelo all have better handle than he ever did. It's like it's not enough that he was the greatest player of all time, he has to also be the greatest at every individual aspect of the game . . .
    THIS x 1000

NBA rookie of the year

lol @ the OP saying Jordan was "barely top 10" as a perimeter defender. No perimeter defender save for Pippen had the type of defensive impact on games that Jordan did in his prime. Here's one game from the 1990 playoffs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dut0RXe-UB4

Take note of how many balls Jordan got his hands on for steals/blocks/deflections. 1990 or '91 was MJ's defensive peak, and his disruption and defensive dominance was on full display during this series and the 1990 series vs. Detroit. Just devastating defensively. It's a joke that people try to act like certain players today are on his level defensively. THIS IS ONE GAME, PEOPLE. He makes more defensive plays and hustles more here than others make in 5 games. But yeah, "barely top 10."

And regarding the second three-peat, all anyone has to do is watch the 1998 ECF vs. Indiana to see that Jordan's defensive impact was still top 2 at the guard spot even at age 35. Shutting down Miller in crucial 4th quarters, making game saving steals/blocks, breaking up 3-on-1 fastbreaks singlehandedly, getting his hands on a ton of balls, shutting down Jalen Rose every time he tried to attack him, blanketing the lightning quick Travis Best when Best was destroying the Chicago PG's with his penetration etc. Watch that series and then get back to me about MJ's defensive impact during the second three-peat. And this was 35 year old Jordan, here.

I wish this game vs. Toronto from the '98 season was up in its entirety (http://www.basketball-reference.com/...803220TOR.html). Jordan completely disrupts Toronto's post offense all game from both the weak and strong side, records 5 steals/3 blocks (and gets his hands on a number of balls besides those for TO's, to break up plays or cause rushed/bad shots etc.), and holds Chauncey Billups to like 2-10 shooting when he was on him. His defensive impact was monstrous. 35 years old. But yeah, "barely top 10 among perimeter defenders."
    Last edited by OldSchoolBBall; 09-11-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Cuz Jordan's the best at everything duh. I saw a thread on here before saying he was the GOAT at palming the ball. One would assume that anyone with bigger hands than him would be better, but nope, Jordan could palm the ball better than anyone ever.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    Cuz Jordan's the best at everything duh. I saw a thread on here before saying he was the GOAT at palming the ball. One would assume that anyone with bigger hands than him would be better, but nope, Jordan could palm the ball better than anyone ever.
    that scrub Shaq had nothing on him in that department.

At the guard position he is the besT.

Steals, blocks, team d and man to man, icant think of any guard that trumps him in all 4 categories. You have to go taller to find a better defender.

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big#50
    He isnt even top ten. He is barely top ten as a wing defender.
    You trying to start trouble, nobody is saying that.

Another agenda driven thread......

Jordan is not the greatest defensive player of all time but your favorite player isn't in his level defensively.

Clearly MJ is a top ten perimeter defender. He can defend PG, SG, and SF all great. But their is nothing like a great defensive big man that can defend the paint. That alters so much shit! That's why guys like Russell, Mutumbo, Howard, and Hakeem had such a huge impact on that end. It allows perimeter guys to gamble more and makes life easier.

College star

MJ got overrated on the defensive end but not as much as kobe. Kobe has been getting bs first team defense for 5 straight years.

owwwww

Because MJ needs to be the greatest at everything he did or his stans get restless.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    Because MJ needs to be the greatest at everything he did or his stans get restless.
    Name 10 perimeter defenders who are better?