Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    College superstar

Default 80s superteams transplanted into the 90s

how many championships do the sixers, lakers, celtics and pistons win at full strength the following decade?

i dont think the 80s bucks were a "super team" but i may be inclined to add them to my list. milwaukee always seemed to get up for & be able to periodically beat teams like the Lakers, Celtics & Pistons. i dont know why or how, but with their short success I would L-O-V-E to see that team in the middle of things. strong darkhorse.

Default Re: 80s superteams transplanted into the 90s

Don't have an exact estimate but all I know for sure is if those teams were primed throughout the 90s, Jordan would have 0 rings.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    how many championships do the sixers, lakers, celtics and pistons win at full strength the following decade?

i dont think the 80s bucks were a "super team" but i may be inclined to add them to my list. milwaukee always seemed to get up for & be able to periodically beat teams like the Lakers, Celtics & Pistons. i dont know why or how, but with their short success I would L-O-V-E to see that team in the middle of things. strong darkhorse.
    Those were indeed great Bucks teams in the early/mid 80's. They had the unfortunate timing of having to face the Celts and Sixers in their primes. They weren't far off from either one.

I'll just say something that I've said many times before: 1990-1998 Bulls "transplanted" into 1980-1988, under the same "occurrences" (Jordan retiring, so on...), ain't winning 4 titles, let alone 6...

Quote Originally Posted by jayfan
    Those were indeed great Bucks teams in the early/mid 80's. They had the unfortunate timing of having to face the Celts and Sixers in their primes. They weren't far off from either one.
    Totally agree, I've stated many times before that those Bucks would've made the Finals AT LEAST, in another (weaker) era.
    They had some great players throughout the years, very balanced, well coached, great chemistry. Shame for them that they had to play in the GOAT conference - even if they got through it, showtime LA in the Finals then.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by G0ATbe
    Don't have an exact estimate but all I know for sure is if those teams were primed throughout the 90s, Jordan would have 0 rings.
    the more i think about it, the more i tend to agree.

think about it - the lakers and celtics win AT LEAST 3 titles, whereas the pistons would be at full strength (not the '91 injured and depleted roster), and know how to exploit jordan and the bulls with the best of them (letting him get his, trapping the left side of the paint, and lending out hard fouls to anyone that gets in their way). of course - we're left with the sixers. moses/erving/cheeks/toney (according to barkley, andrew toney is THE most underrated / skilled player he played alongside).

the bulls would be lucky to have 2 titles - any more would be an absolute MIRACLE.

Quote Originally Posted by jayfan
    Those were indeed great Bucks teams in the early/mid 80's. They had the unfortunate timing of having to face the Celts and Sixers in their primes. They weren't far off from either one
    strong post. agreed.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by The Immortal
    1 maybe 2 championships for Jordan's Bulls. this says more about how stacked those 80s superteams were more than anything.. It doesn't discredit Jordan at all.. he'd still have a case for GOAT given his supporting cast relative to competition.
    jordan wouldn't have as nearly many idiots praising him for the "6/6" bs, but i agree - he would still be a top 5 player. even without titles, guy is one of the greatest scorers in history (probably THE greatest volume scorer).

people that do their research know the 80s superteams were scary as hell. stacked top to bottom, playing in the most competitive and physical era in history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN0ruk2SJ2Q

Lol. Ive said this before..... the biggests testament to the Bulls greatness is the fact that they are the benchmark for which all other teams are compared.

You guys constantly make threads saying the Bulls were that good but always put them out for comparison.

Think about that for a moment.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Lol. Ive said this before..... the biggests testament to the Bulls greatness is the fact that they are the benchmark for which all other teams are compared.

You guys constantly make threads saying the Bulls were that good but always put them out for comparison.

Think about that for a moment.
    I think it's the exact opposite. It's to open the eyes of Jordan's Stans and get them to come back down from the clouds. Puts a little perspective

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    I think it's the exact opposite. It's to open the eyes of Jordan's Stans and get them to come back down from the clouds. Puts a little perspective

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G0ATbe
    what this proves though is how crappy Jordan's teammates were, yet 6/6, which means: GOAT

that being said, i think Jordan would still have 5 rings.

Local High School Star

Most of the 80s teams were god awful defensively. I could see the Celtics taking a couple, and maybe the Lakers snatching up one. The Jordan-Pippin-Rodman bulls were better than any team on that list though, they were elite on both ends of the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    Jordan stans would agree with you though. So lump them in as well. Have you read their posts? They literally feel that the Bulls were garbage and Jordan did it all on his own. Your post makes no sense. Jordanaires, 80s Lakers, 80s Celtics, 80s Pistons, 10s Lakers, 10 Heat and 00s Lakers fans all love to trash the Bulls, but constantly make threads comparing teams to them.

Its an oxymoron

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    what this proves though is how crappy Jordan's teammates were, yet 6/6, which means: GOAT

Jordan's teams were just as stacked and had the GOAT coach to boot. Jordan's sidekick is the best perimeter defender next to Moncrief and had a better rebounder next to Moses in that era

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball

Lol. See what I mean??????

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Lol. See what I mean??????
    the stats are what they are - and they prove that Jordan carried the largest load in the history of the game.