Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very good NBA starter

Default Was hoping for a boy but it's going to be a girl

I am going to be a father. It's my first one. Overall, I am looking forward to fatherhood.

But I need a little guidance or even some mental ass-kicking right now.

As the title suggests, I was hoping for a son, but I'm going to get a girl.

It's weird because I was imagining all these father-son scenarios before I even knew the gender of the baby.

Well, it's obviously a girl now. I am not disappointed or anything. But my excitement for the baby got toned down a little bit after finding out that it was a she. Before, the level was at a full high-as a-kite 100%; but now it's maybe 95% or 90%. Still very very happy, but just not as absolutely thrilled as before.

I feel like such a shithead because it should not even matter, but I don't know how to control what i feel. And I certainly hope I change my perspective by the time she's born. Will that come naturally?

There are a lot of fathers here. Have you experienced something like this, and what did you do to help change your outlook?

I'm down with HRC

Default Re: Was hoping for a boy but it's going to be a girl

Congrats.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

You'll find ways to have fun with her. You'll learn a lot about yourself.

Very good NBA starter Orlando Magic's Avatar

Stop assigning your baby a gender identity before it's even born.

****, it might end up deciding it's a boy. Damn bro, lay off the pressure.

Local High School Star west_tip's Avatar

I wanted my first born to be a girl (Daddy's little Princess type of deal and all that) but we had a boy. On the day we found out the gender I was disappointed like you but was over it pretty quick. Then, my son was an awesome baby so if we had another kid I decided that I wanted another boy. Of course when my wife got pregnant again we had a girl so I was 0/2.

Anyway, you'll come to realize that this stuff is unimportant, the kid being healthy is the main thing. Also, I know fathers want sons to be a little mini me but a cautionary note, it doesn't always pan out that way. In terms of personality my daughter is a lot more like me (competitive, moody and high strung) and my son is more like my father in law, laid back and pretty chilled out.

That said, congratulations. Nothing beats being a father, its the toughest but most rewarding thing in the world.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

I gotta 1.5 year old girl. It's fun. I mean in all reality you aren't going to be treating little kids differently based on their gender outside of how they dress. They are gonna play with the toys they want to and have the personality they have.

When that baby comes it will give the word "love" a whole new meaning.

Very good NBA starter

thanks guys.

this is definitely a learning experience for me. thanks for sharing.

Congrats! Kids just aren't for me (yet), but the thought of hearing the big news is always exciting.

I, like you, would prefer a boy first, but you've gotta be pumped no matter what. Soon, in a few months, that little girl will own you.

Serious playground baller Annyong!'s Avatar

Congrats.

Gratz. You won't be disappointed at all. I have a 9 yr old girl and a 7 year old boy. I was exactly in your shoes when I found out that my first born was going to be a girl. I was really hoping for a boy so I can dress him up, teach him sports, and do all the boys stuff.
    As soon as my baby girl was delivered to my arms, I had tears coming out of my eyes because I have never seen something so beautiful and I was part of the process to make this happened.

Now that time passes, based on my experienced and my peers experienced..... typically girls are more quieter, faster learner, well-behaved, and caring.
    The boys are the other hand tend to play rough, have endless amount of energy, and doesn't like to listen. Thinking back and also according to my mom, I was just like that too.

Tolerant Liberals

In this day and age, not having a Y chromosome doesn't prevent someone from being a man!

Gender equality!!!!

Just wait until the baby is born.....Then tell us how you feel.

You'll see. You have no idea at this point. When you think back at the thoughts you are having now, you'll laugh.

Very good NBA starter

good to hear all your perspectives.

you're all probably great fathers!

will join the club soon.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

I could type pages and pages in here on this subject...I have 2 boys, a 7 month old and a 3 year old. I was also hoping for boys and was lucky enough to get 2 of them.

From what I have seen, little girls and little boys are actually very very different. In fact I might even go as far to say that the biggest difference between boys and girls is at the toddler stage. They have different brains entirely, little girls develop mentally much faster on average, usually girls are speaking full sentences before they even turn 1, most boys are not like that. Girls are also MUCH more tame usually, and well behaved. I have a coworker with 2 little girls, and I went out to eat with him and his family once. His little girls sat at the table the entire meal without making a single sound. I was shocked. My little boys would completely fck shit up, I can't even take them out to eat or it would ruin the experience for the entire restaurant. they are always yelling and punching and throwing shit, and it doesn't matter how much you tell them "STOP". They can't sit still, they always have to be moving.

Everyone says little boys are easier, to be honest I don't see that yet. Boys wreck shit, and they are LOUD as fck. I literally can't make a phone call in my house, I have to leave the fcking house. Once I went out front to talk on the phone, was just pacing on the side walk talking, my 3 year old busted out the front door and started yelling "WHAT ARE YOU DOING DAD???!!!! DAAADD!!! LOOK AT MY TOY CAR DAD!!!" So I was like "fck hold on" and started walking down the block, my kid starts chasing me yelling shit while I'm on the phone. I couldn't escape his yells. It was really stressful actually lol.

Just a couple days ago he punched me directly in the nuts for no reason at all. I was looking at some mail, reading a bill, so I was already getting hit in the nuts from my cable provider. My son just walked up to me and punched me as hard as he could in the groin. It hurt. I yelled at him till he felt bad. He'll probably do it again one day. We wrestle a lot so I guess he feels it's okay to punch me just whenever, I need to fix that.

Anyway, I'm just ranting shit, but that's what you'll be missing.

Tolerant Liberals

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    I could type pages and pages in here on this subject...I have 2 boys, a 7 month old and a 3 year old. I was also hoping for boys and was lucky enough to get 2 of them.

From what I have seen, little girls and little boys are actually very very different. In fact I might even go as far to say that the biggest difference between boys and girls is at the toddler stage. They have different brains entirely, little girls develop mentally much faster on average, usually girls are speaking full sentences before they even turn 1, most boys are not like that. Girls are also MUCH more tame usually, and well behaved. I have a coworker with 2 little girls, and I went out to eat with him and his family once. His little girls sat at the table the entire meal without making a single sound. I was shocked. My little boys would completely fck shit up, I can't even take them out to eat or it would ruin the experience for the entire restaurant. they are always yelling and punching and throwing shit, and it doesn't matter how much you tell them "STOP". They can't sit still, they always have to be moving.

Everyone says little boys are easier, to be honest I don't see that yet. Boys wreck shit, and they are LOUD as fck. I literally can't make a phone call in my house, I have to leave the fcking house. Once I went out front to talk on the phone, was just pacing on the side walk talking, my 3 year old busted out the front door and started yelling "WHAT ARE YOU DOING DAD???!!!! DAAADD!!! LOOK AT MY TOY CAR DAD!!!" So I was like "fck hold on" and started walking down the block, my kid starts chasing me yelling shit while I'm on the phone. I couldn't escape his yells. It was really stressful actually lol.

Just a couple days ago he punched me directly in the nuts for no reason at all. I was looking at some mail, reading a bill, so I was already getting hit in the nuts from my cable provider. My son just walked up to me and punched me as hard as he could in the groin. It hurt. I yelled at him till he felt bad. He'll probably do it again one day. We wrestle a lot so I guess he feels it's okay to punch me just whenever, I need to fix that.

Your nuts arent the only thing that your cable man is hitting ;)

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~