Home of the 16

Exclamation [Laker News] Jim Buss Will Allow Kobe Bryant To Become Free Agent

[QUOTE]"He becomes a free agent at the end of the season, and Jim Buss says because of the pay structure of the NBA, the Lakers will allow Kobe to become a free agent.

He says he has talked to Kobe and believes they have an understanding, Bryant waiting as a free agent while the team spends to upgrade and then using what is left over to pay Kobe.

shhhhhhh

Default Re: Laker News: Jim Buss Will Allow Kobe Bryant To Become Free Agent

His age could come into play depending on the contract and invoke the over 36 rule. The injury and his age complicate things.

Lakers would have to waive his rights (and Gasol's) to clear the cap holds and hope he doesn't pull a Boozer on them.

I'll also mention this is based on a TJ Simers article so there's a high chance of real some distortion within. There's no actual quote from Buss in the article. Just TJ saying he said it

sooo It might be prudent to wait on Shelbourne or McTen to chime in with some actual facts...lol

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/k...ays-going.html

Edit: I'll mention they wouldn't need to waive his rights if they came to contract terms early in the offseason but I think the goal is to get Kobe the fairest/largest contract possible and build a solid roster using the most available money... Kobe has said he won't take a pay cut (he's going to have to despite what he says)

It would be so much easier if Kobe and the Lakers knew up front what Kobe's going to think is a fair contract amount assuming his age. His injury is so huge in this too... That's really the unknown factor in all this

edit2 geesh some of my spelling
    Last edited by gts; 10-26-2013 at 12:02 AM.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    I'll also mention this is based on a TJ Simers article so there's a high chance of real some distortion within. There's no actual quote from Buss in the article. Just TJ saying he said it

sooo It might be prudent to wait on Shelbourne or McTen to chime in with some actual facts...lol

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/k...ays-going.html
    "I want to put an end to any speculation that we would allow Kobe to become a free agent," Buss told ESPNLosAngeles.com on Friday night. "That's not going to happen. Kobe is a top priority for us. He's a Laker legend and always will be. I don't think we're done winning championships with him yet.

"[Lakers general manager] Mitch Kupchak and [Bryant's agent] Rob Pelinka have been talking, but with him being hurt, it has slowed the process some. I don't know when it'll get done, but I have faith in Rob and Mitch to work things out."

Jim Buss

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...ant-free-agent

NBA lottery pick

Los Angeles Lakers executive vice president of basketball operations Jim Buss said Friday that the team has started talks with Bryant's representative on a contract extension for the five-time NBA champion and fully expects a new deal to be completed before the star guard can become a free agent July 1. ESPN.com
    They're sure making it sound like he'll be back. It would be foolish of the Lakers to sign an extension before they've seen him play though. I would doubt it happens soon.