Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Bill Simmons is right: Spurs were one rebound away from winning the title.

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    I agree that Duncan would have deserved it, but all of the FMVP talk was going to Parker, and even Green, before Duncan
    To some extent, but come halftime of G6 I don't think any of them had a shot.

You may be right though. Billups in 04, Parker in 07, Pierce in 08 won when Wallace, Timmy, KG should've won (as those series were won defensively; Timmy and KG were no slouches offensively either).

I guess it's just a media award though at the end of the day:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=301909

All that matters is the ring at the end of the day.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Default Re: Bill Simmons is right: Spurs were one rebound away from winning the title.

I think Duncan would have won he FMVP off his legacy, even though he was beasting. Bit like Kobe over Gasol. (not trolling)

Very good NBA starter

Simmons is wack. I can appreciate his book, knowledge, and overall enthusiasm for the NBA but dude has become increasingly annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFreeman
    I think Duncan would have won he FMVP off his legacy, even though he was beasting. Bit like Kobe over Gasol. (not trolling)
    i dont understand what this post means.

What are you trying to say?

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Very possible that if Duncan was in, Bosh could have made a 3 and everyone would be saying "Why is Duncan in the game when they're trying to defend the 3?"

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Thing is though, Timmy was the key to their defense on LeBron (obviously Kawhi and Pop get some credit) by shutting down the paint to prevent the drive, and he had that monster first half in G6. I can't see Parker winning it since it was close before then.
    Boris Diaw played a role in defending LeBron. Duncan would have deserved Finals MVP if they won.

Yep. I've said several times that I agree with Pop's decision. It's the same move he made throughout the season when in the same situation, opposing team needing a three, so you put all guys out there that can defend the three. Duncan had been coming out of the game in that situation all season long. Add to that that the Heat were a below average rebounding squad last year and before the fact it doesn't seem like a bad move on paper.

Can't switch it up just because you are in a deep Finals game. Pop sticks to his game plan and I respect him for that. Ray Allen hit one of the most clutch shots in NBA history and that's all she wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by J Shuttlesworth
    Very possible that if Duncan was in, Bosh could have made a 3 and everyone would be saying "Why is Duncan in the game when they're trying to defend the 3?"
    Exactly.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Upgrayedd
    Are there really any Spurs fans who defend Poppovich's decision to bench Tim Duncan when all they needed was to grab one rebound and would have won?
    You realize that this was discussed to death last summer, right? This was the one time I ever questioned what Pop did without having hindsight on my side.

Yeah, I don't know if I even question Pop as much as I just think the Spurs should have found a way to win. No way to say Duncan would have grabbed a rebound, either, but it was a huge sequence.... and yeah, if they secured the reb that's GG, obviously.

-Smak

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    Yeah, I don't know if I even question Pop as much as I just think the Spurs should have found a way to win. No way to say Duncan would have grabbed a rebound, either, but it was a huge sequence.... and yeah, if they secured the reb that's GG, obviously.

-Smak
    Fair point .... if they hit free throws and if Ginobili hadn't just thrown the ball away ... and if they had an extra rebound ... and if Miami missed a shot ....

Fact is ... one of the best, closest series in history. One for the ages. We'll be talking about it for a long time.

Bill Simmons is entertaining because of his anecdotes and knowledge of NBA history. Plus he is willing to talk and speculate like a fan. He really is much better on his podcasts than the ESPN stuff.

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFreeman

3-time NBA All-Star

Ummm Duncan would've clearly won it had they won game 6 after that ridiculous first half he had.

Spurs weren't just one rebound away. They were one free throw away and had 3 chances but ****ed it up. Thats even more of a disappointment.

NBA Legend

Groundbreaking avenue of thought.

I like Bill, my only problem with him is that he cuts people off constantly in interviews. He's always done it, even back in 2007 with Pierce on the NBA Live shoot.

He still does it today no matter who he's talking to, Larry Bird, Bob Pettit, Jalen Rose. The guy is a ****er sometimes, I like that Durant stiffed him.