Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Smile, you're on ISH Crystallas's Avatar

Default Re: Which underrated 80's players would be dominant today?

Quote Originally Posted by atljonesbro
    Another thread for 35+ year olds to talk about how 15 ppg players would average 25 ppg in todays game. Your childhood is gone get over it.
    Back when basketball players gained skills by playing basketball, not by getting NBA 2K awards.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Another thread for 35+ year olds to talk about how 15 ppg players would average 25 ppg in todays game. Your childhood is gone get over it.
    We all were 15 once, but you are yet to be 35, I suppose. Therefore, it is highly probable we've seen more than you have. Just like you value your insight a bit more than a 5 year old kid's insight... well, the same applies here.

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    We all were 15 once, but you are yet to be 35, I suppose. Therefore, it is highly probable we've seen more than you have. Just like you value your insight a bit more than a 5 year old kid's insight... well, the same applies here.
    Or just you just have an extreme amount of bias and want to prove to all the dumb young whipper snappers that basketball when you were a little boy was the greatest. I literally have no proof they would be magically better, just you not letting your child hood heroes go.

*Note i never said todays game was better either, because I'm not an ignorant.

And there's a MAJOR difference when discussing subjects from 35 to 19 and 19 to 5.

Or just you just have an extreme amount of bias and want to prove to all the dumb young whipper snappers that basketball when you were a little boy was the greatest. I literally have no proof they would be magically better, just you not letting your child hood heroes go.

*Note i never said todays game was better either, because I'm not an ignorant.

And there's a MAJOR difference when discussing subjects from 35 to 19 and 19 to 5.
    What you are saying is true to an extent. Everyone tends to pick his favorites in his teens and the favorites are usually 10-15 years older than them. Rarely more, rarely less. It's not just basketball, it's everything. Music, movies, etc. You are going to suffer from the same illness in another 15 years.

So this much I give you.

However, there really is the other side of the coin, the one I mentioned. You may think everyone is close to being dead who is older than 35, but actually being 35 is not THAT old. Yes, we are old as fu(k... but not THAT old. If you are lucky, you are going to experience this. And the nice thing in being over 35 is one has some memories and experience.

It's not all that bad as you now feel it is.

We all used to think it is that way when we were 19.

Take my word on it: your world will change at least as much between 19 and 35 as much it has changed since the first day you remember now.

How do I know? Well, I have already been 19. Why don't you know? You are yet to be 35.

We all used to think it is that way when we were 19.

Take my word on it: your world will change at least as much between 19 and 35 as much it has changed since the day you remember now.

How do I know? Well, I have already been 19. Why don't you know? You are yet to be 35.
    What your saying has nothing to do with with anything. A 19 year old can have just as much knowledge as a 35 year old on a particular subject. A 5 year old cannot have as much knowledge as a 19 year old on a particular subject because they are not near developed enough.

What your saying has nothing to do with with anything. A 19 year old can have just as much knowledge as a 35 year old on a particular subject.
    Unless it's experience.

A 19 year old can be very smart and educated. At 19, we all thought we were the shit. We drank alcohol, fu(ked girls, drove cars, attended colleges/universities... and so on and so forth. We may have earned some money, too.

We all thought we were as knowledgable as any adult. After all, we are the same height or even taller, live the same lives, etc. Look, it's a nice story but not true. You are going to find out yourself.

You can be the smartest, most educated 19 year old in the world, but experience is something you need time to gather.

Unless it's experience.

A 19 year old can be very smart and educated. At 19, we all thought we were the shit. We drank alcohol, fu(ked girls, drove cars, attended colleges/universities... and so on and so forth. We may have earned some money, too.

We all thought we were as knowledgable as any adult. After all, we are the same height or even taller, live the same lives, etc. Look, it's a nice story but not true. You are going to find out yourself.

You can be the smartest, most educated 19 year old in the world, but experience is something you need time to gather.
    So you're saying you've always thought you were smarter than old people up until you were older? Sounds like you just finally got your excuse to fall back on that you were smarter and always thought you were the smartest.

So you're saying you've always thought you were smarter than old people up until you were older? Sounds like you just finally got your excuse to fall back on that you were smarter and always thought you were the smartest.
    No, I'm saying when I was 20 I used the very same reasoning you just have. You are not unique in this sense - most of us used the very same reasoning at around 20. It's natural.

BTW, I didn't say anything about any one of us being smarter than the other. I was talking about experience. You have more than a 10 year old does. A 40 year old has more than you do. Regardless of smarts.

Len Bias would've been decent.

Not 80s but Connie Hawkins would've been interesting to watch. He had athleticism and skill in one body.

Decent playground baller Kovach's Avatar

Another thread for 35+ year olds to talk about how 15 ppg players would average 25 ppg in todays game.
    For every one of those there are dozens of threads about how great today's players are. if it isn't a subject you care much about then don't participate in it.
    Your childhood is gone get over it.
    No thank you. If I didn't have several thousand vintage NBA games in my collection I wouldn't be watching basketball at all.
    Or just you just have an extreme amount of bias and want to prove to all the dumb young whipper snappers that basketball when you were a little boy was the greatest.
    I know basketball back then was the greatest and I have enough confidence in that belief that I do not have to shove it down everyone's throat. This thread was not created with that in mind.

And that belief I developed only a couple of years ago by simply comparing the two. The only nostalgic thing I have about the old times are jersey and court colors.
    Last edited by Kovach; 03-17-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9512
    Len Bias would've been decent.

Not 80s but Connie Hawkins would've been interesting to watch. He had athleticism and skill in one body.
    There's still Coke in DC.

Len Bias would be great in any era if he didn't die

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

I remember being a 18-19 year old thinking I was smarter than everyone, even adults. I'm 22 now and I realize it was just my ego speaking, the older you get, the more you realize you know very little.

A 19 year old may very well be smarter than a man in his 30's, but the guy in his 30's is always more knowledgeable about life and more wiser.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    I remember being a 18-19 year old thinking I was smarter than everyone, even adults. I'm 22 now and I realize it was just my ego speaking, the older you get, the more you realize you know very little.

A 19 year old may very well be smarter than a man in his 30's, but the guy in his 30's is always more knowledgeable about life and more wiser.
    Smarts have nothing to do with age. Even a 5 year old kid can be smarter than all of us here. (And there are 5 year olds out there, who actually are). But no 5 year old has the same amount of experience we do.

And as you pointed out, being knowledgeable has at least as much to do with experience as it has to do with smarts. There are things you can not outsmart yourself of. You need experience for which you need time.

While someone is young, it's hard to realize. Noone can, actually. And interestingly, the smarter someone is, the more prone he is to think at a young age that he is as knowledgeable as everyone else. It's because he realizes he is smarter than most adults -- which is true. Yet, less knowledgable.

Interesting, how stuff like this works.

Troll who tries to provoke you

Isiah Thomas: 2 season MVPs + 2 FMVPs

Dominique Wilkins: 2 season MVPs + 1-2 FMVPs

Patrick Ewing: 2 season MVPs + 2 FMVPs

Hakeem Olaijuwon: 3 season MVPs + 3-4 FMVPs