Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: 90's basketball looks so dated and archaic compared

I don't know. I find the 90s game more entertaining. I guess it's similar situation to Soccer. I can't see what's so interesting about it, but millions of people who understand it and know the players feel differently.

I was watching this video yesterday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz6jigLGMd4 and I thought, imagine Jordan playing in a league where instead of being forced to display such all around skills to get shots off, those skills would be replaced by an easier to get and more efficient 3 point shot. The former is just more skilled.
    Last edited by jstern; 10-20-2016 at 11:41 PM.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

The game looks different because it was purposely changed to make it more appealing to the masses.

They tinkered with the rules to allow the offensive players more freedom.

The game looked slower back then because it was geared to be more physical/defense oriented with the big men being the focus. So you saw more low post scoring i.e. slower uglier game.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sdot_thadon

In some cases creating things not seen in previous eras.
    The things today's game has that wasn't seen in previous eras is more ball-dominance, more 3-point attempts, commodotized plays designed to GET 3-point attempts, insane spacing that results FROM the 3-point attempts, and inferior skill needed to make great plays BECAUSE of the easier spacing.

Otoh, previous eras didn't have the luxury of today's spacing, so superior skill was needed that isn't seen today, including superior post, midrange and 1-on-1 ability, as well as more sophisticated teamwork needed to make great plays in no-spacing environments.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923

The game looks different because it was purposely changed to make it more appealing to the masses.
    The NBA was remarkably effective in their objective - they wanted more drive-and-kick, and they got it:

NBA (Stu Jackson): Our objective was to allow for more offensive freedom by not allowing defenders to hand-, forearm- or body-check ball handlers. By doing so, we encouraged more dribble penetration]. As players penetrated more, it produced higher quality shots for the ball handler as well as shots for teammates [COLOR="Red"]on passes back out to perimeter[/COLOR]. When NBA players get higher quality shots -- having more time to shoot -- they tend to make more of them.

.... these fu.ckers knew what they were doing.

NBA (Stu): With the rule and interpretation changes, it has become more difficult for defenders to defend penetration, cover the entire floor on defensive rotations [COLOR="Red"]and recover to shooters[/COLOR]. With more dribble penetration, ball handlers are getting more opportunities at the rim.

.... damn, that's exactly what we see today.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar23

The game looked slower back then because it was geared to be more physical/defense oriented with the big men being the focus. So you saw more low post scoring i.e. slower uglier game.
    The league wanted more drive-and-kick, so they changed the rules to make that form of basketball easier.

So today's game has things that previous eras didn't, including more ball-dominance, more 3-point attempts, commodotized plays designed to GET 3-point attempts, insane spacing that results FROM the 3-point attempts, and inferior skill needed to make great plays BECAUSE of the easier spacing.

Otoh, previous eras didn't have the luxury of today's spacing, so superior skill was needed that isn't seen today, including superior post, midrange and 1-on-1 ability, as well as more sophisticated teamwork needed to make great plays in no-spacing environments.

OP proving he's a rookie in the field of bball.

Cute take though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawhi m8
    OP proving he's a rookie in the field of bball.

Cute take though.
    While I appreciate your opinion you can kindly **** off mate. You bring nothing to the table like that other aussiewestbrickverticalsucking dingo.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    The things today's game has that wasn't seen in previous eras is more ball-dominance, more 3-point attempts, commodotized plays designed to GET 3-point attempts, insane spacing that results FROM the 3-point attempts, and inferior skill needed to make great plays BECAUSE of the easier spacing.

This. Watching a hundred 3s a game vs toughing it out from midrange and and - I know which type of ball I prefere..

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by AirBonner
    To modern basketball. No wonder Jordan dominated. It is safe to say Jordan would not do the same in today's era.
    don't be ignorant

if anything, today's superstars & would be HOFers should thank MJ for this era's brand of basketball. When MJ retired, the NBA changed the game by favoring guards/wingman in order to weed out the next MJ. If not for MJ, today's game would still be dominated by big men just like the '80s/'90s

Quote Originally Posted by sdot_thadon
    It's the natural progression of things, old era guys don't want to see it but it is what it is. What's revolutionary in one era becomes commonplace the next. That's the whole reason we see role players doing the things only elite guys could do in previous eras, just my theory anyhow.
    PLEASE elaborate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawkish
    don't be ignorant

if anything, today's superstars & would be HOFers should thank MJ for this era's brand of basketball. When MJ retired, the NBA changed the game by favoring guards/wingman in order to weed out the next MJ. If not for MJ, today's game would still be dominated by big men just like the '80s/'90s
    But at the same time the big men of today haven't been subverted but instead suck right?

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Go watch some of those early 2000s Spurs/Pistons/Nets/Pacers/76ers debacles where a great team can easily be held to 35-50 points going into the 4th with players/coaches still out there these days and see if you can figure out what happened.

Players have been essentially on the same level my entire life. What changes is the rules and what they are asked to do.

The only differences I see now vs when I was a kid is guys with more muscular upper bodies, more players having good handle as guard skills became something even tall people were expected to have, and guys being able to shoot from 25 feet instead of 18.

But most of the guys who shoot from outside....are worse than the old guys were midrange. So im not sure its better shooting....as much as different.

One thing I can tell is factually improved...handles.

Handles were the only thing that had much room to advance. Mostly because they let you carry and travel but still....guys came up watching and 1 mixtapes and learning wild moves and it shows.

Guys like Muggsy, Rod Strickland, Isiah and so on could control the ball as well as Kyrie or Steph but they wouldnt look so flashy doing it. You arent gonna just....take the ball from Rod Strickland any easier than Kyrie. But it doesnt look as flashy because when he was 12 it was 1978 and he had Tiny Archibald and then Michael Ray Richardson to watch. When Kyrie was 12 he had:

We all remember late 90s/early 2000s when kids "practicing" were outside doing and 1 moves. When isolation ball became all they did.

These kids had handles...legal or not...and they are 22-30 right now.

So handles....yea. Handles are much prettier.

The rest? Its just differences in what you ask the players to do and what the rules let them get away with.

Having played the game full time since 1990, I find it offensive when youngsters try to degrade previous eras, especially something as recent as the late 80's/early 90's. You want to degrade maybe the 50's/60's, fine, I can give you that.

Bball is a game of skill, not just pure athleticism like track & field. And anything that involves skill, a sport can go backwards if skills aren't stressed.

Like today, the game is pace/space, 3 point shooting and a bunch of P&R. They are emphasizing either shooting the 3 or taking lay ups. But the game is so much more than that. The league pretty much frowns upon post play, mid-range game and footwork. And players are sorely lacking in that department. Why? Because they don't work on them. Those are huge, fundamental parts of the game. How many times do you see a guy today get the ball 15-18 feet from the basket, wide open and he has no idea what to do? That's not bball at the highest level. Anytime you get a shot like that, you should be thanking the Gods for getting such a clean look.

And what about the P&R? That's pretty much an easy way to lose your man. And it obviously works.

Anyone who states that the 90's were some outdated and archaic brand of ball is simply IGNORANT. Nothing more, nothing less. They just don't know any better. The game does not change that much. As Kblaze said, it's the rules that dictate the style of play being played in an era.

Today, bball mirrors the NFL. Can anyone with a straight face say that the NFL is better than it ever has been given how you can't hit anyone high or low, can't even touch the QB or the WR? Like the NBA, the NFL rules have favored offense too much. Half the QB's are throwing for 4,500 yards a year and teams hardly run the ball anymore. That is not football at the highest level. But given the rules, teams obviously go with the pass. You want to see football at the highest level, see the early 90's Cowboys or the 90's 49ers. Offense, defense, passing, running game, etc.

Yes, the game is different. But different doesn't mean the game was inferior in the past. There are flaws in both eras. In the 90's, they could've stressed better spacing. That's an obvious now but it wasn't then. That made the court more cramped, which is obviously a bad thing. They also could've stressed the P&R more because it obviously is advantage offense. It frees up people and makes the D scramble. So you can say these are two aspects of the game that have evolved for the better.

On the flip side, today's game is sorely lacking in footwork, post play and mid-range game. Those three are all huge parts of the game. And most guys don't have a clue on how to do them in-game.

So you see, it's the rules that dictate what skills will be emphasized. Doesn't mean the game in the past, especially an era as recent as the late 80's/early 90's was somehow inferior.

And let me add that MJ in today's era, with the soft rules, no physicality allowed, no hand checking, better spacing and emphasis on small ball (which means less rim protection), he would put up better numbers than he did in the past. That's OBVIOUS for anyone who has been around.

MJ played in maybe the toughest era ever for perimeter players. Highest level of physicality allowed, hand checking, GOAT level bigs protecting the paint and no spacing. And he still was the GOAT.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

There are areas where things have improved. Preparation has improved. But its always things like that. Things outside how good the players/coaches are. I was reading the Bird/Magic book and Magic mentioned how they used to have a scouting service everyone used. It didnt have people enough to watch every game....so information was lacking at times. And early in his career some scout saw a game vs a team that really slowed the game up. They defended the inbounder so they could get back. Tried to keep it from Magic on the break. Scout leaves under the impression that they dont like to run(.....). He tells the team hes scouting for this.....and when they played Magic ran them out of the building because they were trying to speed the game up to throw HIM off.

Scouting has improved by miles and miles. The players themselves though?

I hear people talking like that and im on some Amare shit:

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Go watch some of those early 2000s Spurs/Pistons/Nets/Pacers/76ers debacles where a great team can easily be held to 35-50 points going into the 4th with players/coaches still out there these days and see if you can figure out what happened.

Players have been essentially on the same level my entire life. What changes is the rules and what they are asked to do.

The only differences I see now vs when I was a kid is guys with more muscular upper bodies, more players having good handle as guard skills became something even tall people were expected to have, and guys being able to shoot from 25 feet instead of 18.

But most of the guys who shoot from outside....are worse than the old guys were midrange. So im not sure its better shooting....as much as different.

One thing I can tell is factually improved...handles.

Handles were the only thing that had much room to advance. Mostly because they let you carry and travel but still....guys came up watching and 1 mixtapes and learning wild moves and it shows.

Guys like Muggsy, Rod Strickland, Isiah and so on could control the ball as well as Kyrie or Steph but they wouldnt look so flashy doing it. You arent gonna just....take the ball from Rod Strickland any easier than Kyrie. But it doesnt look as flashy because when he was 12 it was 1978 and he had Tiny Archibald and then Michael Ray Richardson to watch. When Kyrie was 12 he had:

We all remember late 90s/early 2000s when kids "practicing" were outside doing and 1 moves. When isolation ball became all they did.

These kids had handles...legal or not...and they are 22-30 right now.

So handles....yea. Handles are much prettier.

The rest? Its just differences in what you ask the players to do and what the rules let them get away with.
    I don't know. I think "handles" is doing a disservice to the young people. For example, a couple of days ago I went to shoot some hoops, and I wish I could show you video. I started playing with a kid that was about 15 years old. The typical scenario happens, with my opponent dribbling, and dribbling, and trying to be fancy, and feeling confident because they think they are being good in basketball, and after 15 or so seconds they finally make a move that leads to nothing.

I on the other hand get the ball, fake right go left, lay it up with my left hand. Get the ball, cross over to my left, lay it up with my left. Or pull up for a short jumper. Not to sound arrogant, but I do have superior skills. Especially when it comes to moving with the ball, left handed, or right handed. I can move with the ball similar to moving if I didn't have the ball. This makes it very, very easy to go by my opponent. My dribbling is very, very natural flowing, but I don't waste my time over dribbling.

If I were to play how the kids in the playground play, with my level, I would dribble, and dribble, and dribble and after about 15 to 20 seconds, then I would do one of the moves that I normally do in less than a second.

Would you call that superior? In doing so the defense is going to have more chances of taking the ball away from me.

These kids focus so much on trying to look cool in order to feel confident that they spend all their time on that, and can't do anything else. Can't go to their left and lay it up with their left hand. Can't dribble full force with their left. Can't really dribble other than doing their custom made dribbling routine that's based more on what they think looks cool, rather than the best footwork to cross someone. The way I see basketball now is more like that you've been serve South Park episode, where the name of the game is not the competition of putting the ball in the hoop, but in striking the best pose. Like that's the mentality. Your opponent strikes one pose after a little dance, the crowd goes Ooooooooh, the it's the opponents turn and then he strikes and even better post that has the crowd giving a bigger oooooooooh. Less people are even playing basketball these days, compared to past decades, so if all this keeps up, we could have a less skilled game, but with much better posing making fans think that the game is more skilled than now.