Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls!

Default Re: Dark Souls!

There is a patch coming out soon btw that is expected to make changes to the online matchmaking as well as remove the glitch I mentioned, among others.

Quote Originally Posted by Velocirap31
    There is a patch coming out soon btw that is expected to make changes to the online matchmaking as well as remove the glitch I mentioned, among others.
    how do you do the glitch im at ash lake right now and cursed

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Dark Souls is harder than Demon's Souls but just in a more frustrating way.

The combat throughout the game is equally difficult. The bosses (at least for me so far) are a bit easier in Dark Souls because you can almost always summon help. But expect to fall. A lot. You will fall off ledges, wooden platforms, cliffs and into water. You will always get cheaply knocked off by enemies.

The only problem I have with Dark Souls so far is that it's basically Demon's Souls version 1.5. Which isn't a big problem since Dark Souls is such an incredibly great overall game. Demon's Souls seems like it was a test run to see "are people actually going to like/buy such a hard game?". When the answer was yes, they decided to fine-tune the formula.

You can tell how similar Blighttown is to the Valley of Defilement (I HATED this place) from Demon's Souls. But you can also the great refinement with no longer having an artificial hub like the nexus. I'm really amazed by how well all the different sections of Dark Souls' world are connected together.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Guys I'm an RPG guy. Will I like Demon and Dark Soul's? All I hear is how impossibly difficult these games are. Should I try this or Dead Island first? I hear both are incredibly difficult and brutal RPG's. One about Demons the other about Zombies.
    Last edited by Clippersfan86; 10-20-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Dont H8 the Laker H8er glidedrxlr22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Guys I'm an RPG guy. Will I like Demon and Dark Soul's? All I hear is how impossibly difficult these games are. Should I try this or Dead Island first? I hear both are incredibly difficult and brutal RPG's. One about Demons the other about Zombies.
    Let me tell you how I tackled Demon

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Oh and don't be an idiot like me when starting Demon's Souls. I went through the first 2 parts of the first world not knowing you could actually target enemies. Once I found that out, it made things much less frustrating.

Dont H8 the Laker H8er glidedrxlr22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    Oh and don't be an idiot like me when starting Demon's Souls. I went through the first 2 parts of the first world not knowing you could actually target enemies. Once I found that out, it made things much less frustrating.
    I didn't lock on much in Demon's Souls and I got used to it. I'm locking on now in Dark Souls but sometimes I get nailed when I'm locked on and try to turn and run, dodge or hit another enemy without switching lock on.

If you liked Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2, this game is really not for you.

Diaw Fan

Dead Island is trash. Dark Souls is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiasco
    If you liked Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2, this game is really not for you.
    Haha.... Bioware is my favorite company and I love those 2 games (both in my top 5 favorites). I'm a huge fan of Resident Evil though so it's not like I'm limited on RPG type games.

Haha.... Bioware is my favorite company and I love those 2 games (both in my top 5 favorites). I'm a huge fan of Resident Evil though so it's not like I'm limited on RPG type games.
    Those games aren't RPGs. They're streamlined, action "RPG" garbage. I've seen more RPG elements in a Splinter Cell game. Dark Souls is possibly the hardest game you'll ever play.. the AI isn't stupid and is punishingly brutal at times. Nothing from those two games prepares you for this.

I definitely think you should pick it up, but you WILL die over and over again. Frustrating, yet satisfyiing.

Those games aren't RPGs. They're streamlined, action "RPG" garbage. I've seen more RPG elements in a Splinter Cell game. Dark Souls is possibly the hardest game you'll ever play.. the AI isn't stupid and is punishingly brutal at times. Nothing from those two games prepares you for this.

I definitely think you should pick it up, but you WILL die over and over again. Frustrating, yet satisfyiing.
    Yes they are action RPG but don't underestimate Bioware games. They are considered the WRPG company that really put Action/RPG/Choose your own adventure types on the map. They are very much so RPG's. Just a more modern type. No more of that lame turn based combat sh**. Bioware has produced so many RPG classics that many people consider their favorite games. KOTOR games, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Dragon Age.

All classic and epic series. I'm a gamer through and through and anything I play I've succeeded at. Just because I'm a diehard Bioware fan doesn't mean I can't handle something more challenging.

I really want to try the game and just wanted to get more info on it. I'll just get it and try it on easy to start. According to the IGN reviewer he said the game forces you to learn and adapt and once you do it's very rewarding.
    Last edited by Clippersfan86; 10-20-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Yes they are action RPG but don't underestimate Bioware games. They are considered the WRPG company that really put Action/RPG/Choose your own adventure types on the map. They are very much so RPG's. Just a more modern type. No more of that lame turn based combat sh**. Bioware has produced so many RPG classics that many people consider their favorite games. KOTOR games, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Dragon Age.
    There's a lot wrong with this and I'm not going to address it in this thread for several reasons. Keeping on topic --

All classic and epic series. I'm a gamer through and through and anything I play I've succeeded at. Just because I'm a diehard Bioware fan doesn't mean I can't handle something more challenging.
    I'm tempering your expectations, nothing more or less. I was a Bioware fan until they betrayed their own vision. Dark Souls makes ME2/DA2 look like Minesweeper in terms of difficulty.

I really want to try the game and just wanted to get more info on it. I'll just get it and try it on easy to start.
    No such option. You can only start a New Game, NG+, etc.

According to the IGN reviewer he said the game forces you to learn and adapt and once you do it's very rewarding.
    I always take anything IGN says with a grain of salt. But that reviewer is right.

There's a lot wrong with this and I'm not going to address it in this thread for several reasons. Keeping on topic --

I'm tempering your expectations, nothing more or less. I was a Bioware fan until they betrayed their own vision. Dark Souls makes ME2/DA2 look like Minesweeper in terms of difficulty.

No such option. You can only start a New Game, NG+, etc.

I always take anything IGN says with a grain of salt. But that reviewer is right.
    Ah so you're one of the types that thinks Bioware is a sellout because they are going more Action/RPG than traditional RPG. I think that's partly true but it doesn't take away from the fact that they are still among the best in the business. Dragon Age 2 received an average score of a 7.5 and that's the worst rated game they have made to give you an idea of their success.

Maybe you're different but their games just cater to exactly what I like the way that some people find that with Modern Warfare etc. The Action/RPG/Choose your own adventure deal is what I dreamed about as a kid who played video games. I think part of the problem is everyone is being forced to go the action/FPS route at least partially right now because games like MW outsell them by multiple times over.

Thanks for the heads up... It just came off like you were basically saying if I like Bioware games I don't stand a chance.

Ah so you're one of the types that thinks Bioware is a sellout because they are going more Action/RPG than traditional RPG. I think that's partly true but it doesn't take away from the fact that they are still among the best in the business. Dragon Age 2 received an average score of a 7.5 and that's the worst rated game they have made to give you an idea of their success.

Maybe you're different but their games just cater to exactly what I like the way that some people find that with Modern Warfare etc. The Action/RPG/Choose your own adventure deal is what I dreamed about as a kid who played video games. I think part of the problem is everyone is being forced to go the action/FPS route at least partially right now because games like MW outsell them by multiple times over.

Thanks for the heads up... It just came off like you were basically saying if I like Bioware games I don't stand a chance.
    i thought dragon age 2 was great and cant wait for part 3 you must get dark souls its a rare game in todays market you will love it, i picked up nba 2k12 and dark souls at the same time i prob have about 5 hours on 2k12 and 55 hours on dark souls prepare to die lol