Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default What specific skills made MJ better than Lebron

- pure jump shooter
    - post game and turnaround jumper
    - footwork and fakes
    - much better drop-step
    - didn't need live dribble - footwork allowed domination from the triple-threat or off-ball/off-the-catch
    - combo leaper - goat-level off both 1 and 2 feet
    - clutch - much better frequency of playoff game-winners, high-leverage game winners (late in series or in Finals), much better stats in last 5 min or 1 min of tight games

- more versatile, less exploitable offensive player - i.e. had skills to dominate on-ball and off-ball (not just on-ball), thereby fitting with more player types and allowing the best brand of ball (ball movement)

- Better defender of PG's and SG's, better man defender, better in passing lanes, better defensive leader/example/culture/accountability

Anything else?
    Last edited by 3ball; 08-15-2019 at 03:43 PM.

Default Re: What specific skills made MJ better than Lebron

How do you manage to make the same damn thread over and over? Don't you get bored?

Take a break, champ.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneyROY7
    How do you manage to make the same damn thread over and over? Don't you get bored?

Take a break, champ.
    same

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Handles isn

Take a break, champ.
    I've never made this thread before asking what specific skills made MJ better

i.e. turnaround jumper, etc

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    I've never made this thread before asking what specific skills made MJ better

i.e. turnaround jumper, etc
    Yeah 3ball, you've never made a thread about what you think makes MJ better than LeBron.

Yeah 3ball, you've never made a thread about what you think makes MJ better than LeBron.

Bron is obviously bigger and probably stronger (though MJ was no slouch), MJ was quicker and faster, GOAT first step. MJ had more hang time when shooting in traffic, LeBron is a great finisher at the rim mainly because of his strength, MJ was way better at changing his shot in mid air since he was more agile. MJ is agile and strong, LeBron is just stronger (hence people say he bullies his way to the rim). LeBron is incredibly agile and quick for his size but vs MJ, he isn't as agile nor quick. MJ is more skilled offensively overall, LeBron is the better passer since that's a main component of his game, MJ was also an elite passer but he wasn't as willing a passer as LeBron. MJ is arguably the GOAT mid range shooter, thats not one of LeBron's best assets, LeBron worked on his 3pt shot to become respectable, MJ didn't look for the 3 pt shot as much but he was ok there too, edge LBJ, LeBron has a decent post up game but IMO he should be better because of his size and strength, MJ had that unstoppable fade away jumper, MJ gets the nod here...defensively, LeBron could defend more positions, especially today since there is a definite lack of quality big men, better at coming from behind to stuff your shot but MJ is the better pocket picker and man to man defender, MJ was also the better help defender, loved to slack off his man and block big men from behind. LeBron is the better rebounder but not by much, but because of his position and height, he gets the nod here. MJ was durable, one year in 86 where he missed most of the season but aside from that, hardly took any time off because of injury, even into his mid 30s but LeBron is a fukking machine, only just recently missed considerable time because of injury but that happened going into his mid 30s...edge here to LBJ.

Where I truly think MJ separates himself from almost everyone is his mentallity, his much talked about almost obsessive will to win, LeBron is just a bit too passive IMO. Few players I've seen could match MJ in this department, Bird is one of them, also Magic (don't let his friendly demeanor fool you) and Kobe. I can't opine on players I haven't seen. This is where Shaq could've been the GOAT had he had this kind of mentallity but he was a bit aloof, even when he was wrecking the league in the mid to late 90s/early 2000s.

James has had some highs almost or equal to MJ but he also had some lows that MJ never or rarely had.

I have a beef with LeBron's playing style, especially how much he needs the ball to be effective but no trolling, he is one of the GOATs, no question about it. Most def a top 5 GOAT and possibly ends up top 3 depending on the next few seasons but peak vs peak honestly MJ > LBJ.
    Last edited by TheMan; 08-15-2019 at 02:23 PM.

My post was long because I wanted to give both players their props...and give my honest assessment of both of them, but watch the LeBron trolls try to shit talk my post.

Alpha male personality.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    Bron is obviously bigger and probably stronger (though MJ was no slouch), MJ was quicker and faster, GOAT first step. MJ had more hang time when shooting in traffic, LeBron is a great finisher at the rim mainly because of his strength, MJ was way better at changing his shot in mid air since he was more agile. MJ is agile and strong, LeBron is just stronger (hence people say he bullies his way to the rim). MJ is more skilled offensively overall, LeBron is the better passer since that's a main component of his game, MJ was also an elite passer but he wasn't as willing a passer as LeBron. MJ is arguably the GOAT mid range shooter, thats not one of LeBron's best assets, LeBron worked on his 3pt shot to become respectable, MJ didn't look for the 3 pt shot as much but he was ok there too, edge LBJ, LeBron has a decent post up game but IMO he should be better because of gis size and strength, MJ had that unstoppable fade away jumper, MJ gets the nod here...defensively, LeBron could defend more pisitions, especially today since there is a definite lack of quality big men, better at coming from behind to stuff your shot but MJ is the better pocket picker and man to man defender, MJ was also the better help defender, loved to slack off his man and block big men from behind. LeBron is the better rebounder but not by much, but because of his position and height, he gets the nod here. MJ was durable, one year in 86 where he missed most of the season but aside from that, hardly took any time of because of injury, even into his mid 30s but LeBron is a fukking machine, only just recently missed considerable time because of injury but that happened going into his mid 30s...edge here to LBJ.

Where I truly think MJ separates himself from almost everyone is his mentallity, his much talked about almost obsessive will to win, LeBron is just a bit too passive IMO. Few players I've seen could match MJ in this department, Bird is one of them, also Magic (don't let his friendly demeanor fool you) and Kobe. I can't opine on players I haven't seen. This is where Shaq could've been the GOAT had he had this kind of mentallity but he was a bit aloof, even when he was wrecking the league in the mid to late 90s/early 2000s.

James has had some highs almost or equal to MJ but he also had some lows that MJ never or rarely had.

I have a beef with LeBron's playing style, especially how much he needs the ball to be effective but no trolling, he is one of the GOATs, no question about it. Most def a top 5 GOAT and possibly ends up top 3 depending on the next few seasons but peak vs peak honestly MJ > LBJ.
    Bolded is exactly how I'd describe it too. Jordan obviously never came close to having a series as utterly horrific as 2011, nor did he ever play as badly as LeBron did in the '07 Finals, or at times against Boston in '08 & '10.

Imo, LeBron was on Jordan's level from 2012-18. Even if you think Jordan was better, they were basically on the same tier as players

[QUOTE=Kblaze8855]Handles isn

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    Bolded is exactly how I'd describe it too. Jordan obviously never came close to having a series as utterly horrific as 2011, nor did he ever play as badly as LeBron did in the '07 Finals, or at times against Boston in '08 & '10.

Imo, LeBron was on Jordan's level from 2012-18. Even if you think Jordan was better, they were basically on the same tier as players
    I agree with that, but what seperates both players is James had some really awful series whereas MJ had some bad games but he rarely had a series where you can point and say, he's the reason the Bulls lost (95 but he was coming off a 2 year retirement, I mean, really)...2011 Finals for James was NBA historically bad, I tend to give LBJ a pass for 2007 because its his first Finals and he was young. Props to him for coming back strong after the 2011 fiasco though.
    Last edited by TheMan; 08-15-2019 at 02:37 PM.

That gif of him navigating the paint against Detroit harkens back to why D-Wade typically played better against the big 3 Celtics than Kobe and Lebron. He was the best slasher of the 3 in terms of nimbleness, herky-jerky and change of pace in traffic. Lebron at his peak was more of a line drive slasher and needed more picks to separate himself from the defender. MJ had a more effective first step and being a better 2-foot jumper, was able to hop step, gather and explode from distance without needing a runway to the basket to build up enough momentum.