Default Classic Harlem Globetrotters in the league in the early days ...

Was watching a special on the Globetrotters the other day and had me think what if the best played in the NBA.

Marques Haynes: Greatest Dribbler Ever. Left college in 1946, the same year the NBA was just beginning ... He joined the Globetrotters the next season. He was offered a contract with the Phila Warriors in 1953 (after leaving the Globetrotters to form his own organization) that would have made him the 2nd highest player in the league at that time. From footage, he was (of course) a better dribbler than Cousy, quicker and a better shooter.

Goose Tatum: Clown Prince, not only a great basketball player, played professional Baseball for the Negro League's bein an All-Star several times. On the basketball side, he is credited for creating the hook shot. He was 6'6, so would have been a forward or possible center back then. In the games the played against and beat the World Champ Lakers in 48 and 49, I don't know if he was guarding Mikan or not.

Meadowlark Lemon: 1955-1980. He was also 6'6, but he came after Goose so he would have most likely been a small forward going up against the likes of Elgin Baylor and Marice Stokes.

Default Re: Classic Harlem Globetrotters in the league in the early days ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oioz1nwQ92I

"I played with the Globies almost every summer until I got myself traded to the Lakers and really got into the Southern California lifestyle, with the beach volleyball and all. I’d go to Europe after the NBA season was over, and I’d call the Globie’s office to find out their schedule, and whenever our paths crossed – usually in Italy – I’d play six or eight or ten games with them, sometime more."

"Meadowlark was the most sensational, awesome, incredible basketball player I've ever seen,'' Chamberlain said. "People would say it would be Dr. J or even (Michael) Jordan. For me it would be Meadowlark Lemon."

I love their uniforms.

[QUOTE=PHILA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oioz1nwQ92I

[I]"I played with the Globies almost every summer until I got myself traded to the Lakers and really got into the Southern California lifestyle, with the beach volleyball and all. I

Clifton,Mikan and Tatum . Tatum had 7-3 wingspan .