Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: how much better is joakim noah than a healthy andy varejao

Come on man. You can't be serious. Varej

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swagga
    noah has a big advantage in lateral mobility ... can switch to wings for a couple of possessions and it makes him an elite PNR defender. <--- biggest difference.

noah is also a gifted passer, varejao is only decent.
    noah is a leader and a great communicator, an obnoxious one, but a leader, reminds me of KG in this aspect. varejao is not.
    noah is a better rim protector, better timing, benefits from the better lateral mobility to recover/help faster.
    noah has higher stamina.

varejao is imo the better rebounder
    varejao can finish at the rim better, including reverses

I think Andy is just as good as a passer if not better, Andy has some range too.

Andy isn't really a vocal leader at all.

Varejao is a better rebounder and finishing at the rim, Noah is a better in all other points, but is far from being "much better". Your posture, and vocal leadership make people believe that.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    I think Andy is just as good as a passer if not better, Andy has some range too.

Andy isn't really a vocal leader at all.
    Please....

Anyway...ill say what I said 5 years ago(as it happens...responding to you)

If Anderson were not next to Lebron about 18 people would know who he is. Hes not a good player period. Hes a good player at what little he has to do and being on a very good team always gets the "pesky" good role players overrated a little. When your team is gonna win either way its easy to point to all the little things a guy does to "make his team win". Verajo on Minnesota is irrelevant as hell. He doesnt make a team be good or bad. Hes along for the ride.

He has done nothing at all to make the question stupid. Noah is at least as good a rebounder, a good shot blocker, a better passer, is far more coordinated, and while he isnt a good scorer...still does more to put the ball in the basket than get open bullet passes from Lebron right under the basket and hit a 14 footer now and then.

Its like asking Edwardo Najera in his prime vs Reggie Evans or something. No matter who you pick you have no reason to act like its a stupid question.

Ive seen this guy play maybe 150 times(really...consider how many times the Cavs are on TV...hes played 50 games in the playoffs alone and I have yet to miss one...all Lebrons playoff games games are on ABC, ESPN, or TNT). We have all seen him dozens and dozens of times. hes not a particularly special player. He matters like Chris Dudley mattered....only Dudley was a far better on the ball defender and a much better rebounder.

Hes done nothing and never played at a level for people to be stupified at someone thinking Noah is better than him.

I just dont see it. see nothing special about hi mreally. He plays smart D. Plays hard. Draws charges(both legit and otherwise). But hes not some game changer. Well he is...but in that way Chris Anderson is. In a very different way but you know what I mean. Just one of those guys who comes in and does a little dirt to get the crowd going. Plays a few nice plays. But hes not gonna do anything that really makes him more valuable than Noah. Noah does do things he doesnt. Noah is one of the better passing centers in the league. Has a better touch around the basket. Is hardly a poor defender himself. Plays just as hard. Makes big plays.

I think more teams would feel set starting Noah than Anderson. If youre starting Anderson I think the feeling would be that you need to get a real starter. Starting Noah I think you are ok with it and just want him to keep improving.

And in the years since hes a 2 time all star, the DPOY, had some of the best runs of playmaking a center ever had, led his team to playoffs without his star guard while being his teams key offensive and defensive player(which Andy will never do), was all nba first team, and came in 4th in MVP voting.

Andy has started as much as half his teams games...one season...in 10. And he only made that by 1 game. 42 starts is his career high.

We are comparing an all NBA first team, DPOY, all star who led his team on both sides of the ball to the playoffs with at best...an ok team...to an injury prone backup who shows flashes of being a good starter and has never justified discussion without a star leading his team to wins.

Andy is a good role player on a team that doesnt need him to win. Noah can and has....led teams to the playoffs.

I do believe I called this one.....

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by swagga
    noah has a big advantage in lateral mobility ... can switch to wings for a couple of possessions and it makes him an elite PNR defender. <--- biggest difference.

noah is also a gifted passer, varejao is only decent.
    noah is a leader and a great communicator, an obnoxious one, but a leader, reminds me of KG in this aspect. varejao is not.
    noah is a better rim protector, better timing, benefits from the better lateral mobility to recover/help faster.
    noah has higher stamina.

varejao is imo the better rebounder
    varejao can finish at the rim better, including reverses
    agreed

rank sentamentalist

double down on this. anderson is playing great. very high iq player with a nose for the ball.

he may not be as good as noah, but he's definitely playing better than love