Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Convince Me Garnett Is Higher Than Nowitzki AllTime

when nowitkzi won his ring it tough for me to put garnett over him.............garnett one my faves and i see ppl put him top of nowitzki so whats reasoning?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: Convince Me Garnett Is Higher Than Nowitzki AllTime

Same tier...either or.

Before this year I had KG higher than Dirk...and still do. And what KG is doing this year is immensely impressive. While Dirk is still better, the gap isn't near as big as it was last year.

Huge years from Duncan and KG in terms of regaining their form.

Anybody claiming Dirk is clearly better than KG or the other way around is heavily biased and just trolling.

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

I really like Dirk's game for the most part. And their careers will both earn them a HOF introduction after they retire but I will give an edge to Garnett. Garnett did it all. Defended, rebounded,passed and scored. Dirk scores, and only rebounds on some nights. Both HOF players who had great careers though.

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

KG is the more diverse player, all around, and obviously a vastly superior defender and rebounder.
    Aside from Dirk's great outside shooting, his other major positive is last year's very impressive performance.

Nod goes to KG for overall body of work.

GOAT Commissioner

KG has been better than.dirk this year.

KG can do more shit out there on the court.

Banned

They are two completely different players. Dirk is better at carrying a lesser talented team while Garnett is better at playing with a more talented team because he can maximize everybody's potential. KG is just a once in a lifetime player but so is Dirk for that matter.

I think it's apples and oranges to be honest and you definitely can't go wrong with either. I flip flop everyday between who should be ranked higher.

FMVP. (Garnett has none)

Won championship as franchise player. (Garnett was part of big three)

Elite playoff stats. (Better than Garnett)

Reached playoffs 2 times with totally different teammates (Garnett was a part of dynasty level team)

He made Mavs contender level most of his career.

One legged fadeaway. (Probably most unguardable shoot since skyhook)

What Nowitzki gave NBA so far. Garnett has been impressive. Probably most complete player ever in NBA history but he doesn't have such impressive accomplishments. GOAT rankings heavily depends on that.

If we forget all accomplishments... Garnett is good to great at almost every things about basketball.But Dirk is elite at things what makes him special. 7 footer with elite shooting skill and unguardable signature shot makes him
    better player than Garnett.

KG is one of those guys who can flourish on any team. He has no weaknesses that need to be covered up like Dirk does with his defense.

The first team he ever played on that was a legit title contender he won a title with and walked away with the DPOY award. The Celtics probably would have won in '09, too, if KG was healthy and they were a game away (possibly a Perkins injured away) from winning in '10 as well.

Dirk is a better scorer than KG, but that's about it. KG is a better rebounder, passer/playmaker, defender (by a mile), leader, and is better at all the little stuff like setting screens, etc.

I don't really see how Dirk has an argument over KG.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doranku
    KG is one of those guys who can flourish on any team. He has no weaknesses that need to be covered up like Dirk does with his defense.

The first team he ever played on that was a legit title contender he won a title with and walked away with the DPOY award. The Celtics probably would have won in '09, too, if KG was healthy and they were a game away (possibly a Perkins injured away) from winning in '10 as well.

Dirk is a better scorer than KG, but that's about it. KG is a better rebounder, passer/playmaker, defender (by a mile), leader, and is better at all the little stuff like setting screens, etc.

That is because you boil the game down in the wrong way and you'll never fully understand it.

LOL

I am relativelt sure Garnett is higher than Nowitzki more of the time. I don't think Dirk is high that often,but maybe when he hooked up with his old baby mama. But Garnett seems high always.

Local High School Star

The gulf on defense. Dirk has floated between poor and average, KG was consistently amongst the elite defenders. This (plus edges in rebounding, passing), more than make up for Dirk's significantly superior scoring (which was high usage and efficient).

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    They are two completely different players. Dirk is better at carrying a lesser talented team while Garnett is better at playing with a more talented team because he can maximize everybody's potential. KG is just a once in a lifetime player but so is Dirk for that matter.

I think it's apples and oranges to be honest and you definitely can't go wrong with either. I flip flop everyday between who should be ranked higher.
    carrying a T-wolves team to 52 wins with Wally Szczerbiak and garbage doesnt count?

The Mavs last year didnt have star power but guys that know there roles with a great comination of veterans and youth that can match up in any pace and style and plus were very well coached.

KG's T-wolves on the other hand had KG leading his team in every statistical category.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    That is because you boil the game down in the wrong way and you'll never fully understand it.

LOL
    Great argument.

I'm sorry, but if you ask actual NBA players who they'd rather play with, prime KG or prime Dirk, I'd bet 8/10 pick KG. You're the one who doesn't seem to understand basketball. Prime KG's defensive prowess is more valuable to a team than anything Dirk EVER had to offer. Just because KG wasn't fortunate enough to play with the talent that Dirk has been surrounded with nearly his ENTIRE CAREER doesn't mean KG's impact should be overlooked.

This isn't even an argument if Dirk doesn't get ridiculously hot last year at the right time. You think KG is going to let his team get punked by the 8 seed Warriors on a 67 win team? You think KG is gonna let his team blow a 2-0 lead in the Finals w/ HCA? LOL, delusional.

KG only lost twice in the playoffs w/ HCA, and both were to the Shaq/Kobe Lakers. I'm pretty sure Dirk has more first round upset losses in the playoffs than that.

You're an idiot if you think Dirk > KG. And you're trying to tell me I don't understand basketball, LOL. For the majority of his career, Dirk had a gaping hole in his defensive and leadership skills, and his teams suffered because of that. KG, on the other hand, was leading a pack of ragtag scrubs to the playoffs year in and year out while Dirk was choking with a much better supporting cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Doranku

Garnett is better than Kobe in that case. He does everything almost better except scoring and clutch shots.

Garnett is PF version of Scottie Pippen. It makes him great player as overall but he is not the guy who can score 50 point when team needs.He is not the guy who can go to anytime when offense collapsed. He is not the guy you expect making miracles.

Also Nowiztki's accomplishments are better than Garnett's. Garnett was best or second best player in that team. Nowitzki was certainly best.