Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tips on Dunking

Default Re: Tips on Dunking

Quote Originally Posted by KZ_23
    If anyone is a one foot jumper I can try to help you out.
    i could use some help, i recentley turned 16, im 6'3'' and like 175ish

ive never dunked before, but i can prettyy easily grab rim, but in warm ups at yesterdays game, i was really getting up there, lots of kids on my team where telling me to just throw it down, (doing off one dribble to the paint off one foot one hand) but i didnt know if i really could, and plus, rule is that u cant dunk when refs are out during warmups. Mabye it was just adreneline but i dont think i could just do it randomly at practice, and the music deff helped during warm ups...also my arm wasnt fully extended when i was up there, and tips to get that extra hop in my step before taking off?

thanks

Love me or Hate me Unreal Skill's Avatar

I've noticed some people jump off from the ball part of their foot, you will jump higher if you jump flat footed (heel + ball on the ground). When you are going to take off one foot, swing the other leg up, it will give you some "lift." Don't think too much on how you will take off, it will mess you up. Do it like this
    Last edited by Unreal Skill; 12-05-2007 at 11:08 PM.

Banned

i just turned 14 and i could grab rim. i wanna dunk soon, but i always get rejected by the rim And theres no way i could dunk with two hands

Quote Originally Posted by CySniper
    i just turned 14 and i could grab rim. i wanna dunk soon, but i always get rejected by the rim And theres no way i could dunk with two hands
    Don't worry, u will dunk.................one day.....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jamal99
    Don't worry, u will dunk.................one day.....

I just did my first one today!

Good on ya, keep at it - the first dunk is a great achievement

Saw a basketball once

so u want to dunk? you have to be either tall, a good leaper, or a combination.

being tall= genes. u cant control that..

a good leaper= sorta in ur genes and sorta not. whatever ur ability is you can always train and get better. sure some have the leaping potential to get more better than others, but hey u gotta train to see what ur potential is.

here are some suggestions:
    -plyometrics (such as air alert which is basically plyometrics)
    -weight training: squats, hamstring curls, leg extensions, calf raises, etc. create a balanced workout for 2 to 3 days a week
    - a combination of weights and plyo

Saw a basketball once

what happened to "tha air up there" ? Aint he the best dunker in the world???
    Is he still with AND1???

My Game's Nucking Futs The_Night_Elf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thetruth1
    what happened to "tha air up there" ? Aint he the best dunker in the world???
    Is he still with AND1???
    He tried to dunk in a game where they played defense, got blocked, and slamed into the ground. They're still trying to dig him out...

I'm 14, and somewhere in between 6'0-6'1. I can get like half of my hand thru the rim. Hard to explain, like from the tip of my middle finger i can get like 11 cm above rim. The thing is is i need a run up and i am a pure one footed jumper. I can touch the rim barely, on a good day of two feet no running. I can dunk a volleyball, but any tips on how to dunk a basketball. I always get **** from my brother about not being able to dunk, because he is shorter than me and can throw it down.The thing he is, his first dunk was when he was 17, and i'm 14 so that isn't fair lol. Anyway, any tips?

I don't get picked last at the park anymore ABPrints's Avatar

Ah Zak, remind me of me about 18 years ago. One legged jumper, can throw a volleyball down, the other problem was that we had pure leather balls, not the easy to palm composite ones now...and I couldn't palm the leather very well.

Realy, coming from a strength coach, there is no secret. Just keep jumping with in the confines of your ability. Stay away from specific plyometric programs (air alert, etc)...your body will adapt.

I will say this too. I never got to dunk in high school. I swear the day I graduated my body said it could fly. I was able to dunk in pick ups that summer after senior year...and my best jumping days came when I was 22-24.

Banned

i dunked with two hands before i did one hand because i cant palm a ball
    im two footed jumper though so maybe its different
    for those of you who are young, just wait on it, if dunking is really what you wanna do, then just keep playing basketball at a high intensity, and when you find your legs never get tired, thats when you jump in to plyos and weights only after then though, because it can be a serious detriment to your body if done too early
    Last edited by Burgz; 10-05-2008 at 02:09 PM.

I'm 16 years, almost 6'0, and can almost dunk(I can put it in and grab the rim jumping off one foot but its not quite a dunk). I can dunk on a 9'5 hoop with a normal basketball. If I regularly keep playing pickup for around 1-2 hours everyday and a little extra jumping afterwords will I ever be able to comfortably dunk in a game? I don't care much about powerful throw downs I just want to slip it in instead of doing a layup on a fastbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by josh99
    I'm 16 years, almost 6'0, and can almost dunk(I can put it in and grab the rim jumping off one foot but its not quite a dunk). I can dunk on a 9'5 hoop with a normal basketball. If I regularly keep playing pickup for around 1-2 hours everyday and a little extra jumping afterwords will I ever be able to comfortably dunk in a game? I don't care much about powerful throw downs I just want to slip it in instead of doing a layup on a fastbreak.
    meh

I have a nasty habbit of over-training during the basketball season... once the season is over, I magically have an extra 4 inches on my vert just because ive given my legs a chance to recover and relax. You do want to be in "basketball" shape, but the ingame dunk is along ways away if your still looking to get the legit 10 foot dunk.

Do what I did and get a weight vest (im a bigger guy, so I put on 20+ lbs) and go for a jog, at least three times a week with one run at the end of the week without the extra weight. Dont just run around a track, get some hills in (think cross country) and the added weight will usually shock your legs into overcompensating with the cross training.

WARNING: Im what you would call an elite athlete. What works for me doesnt mean it will work for you. I was putting in 45+ miles per week easy running before I ever started using the vest. It was just that extra step in pushing me over the edge. The 45+ miles had me already in very good condition and more importantly had my body acclimated to the pounding you would take on a run (ex, I would do hour long runs with no vest and only 30-40 min runs with it on and it would feel about the same in regards to the toll it took on my body).
    Weighted apparell can damage growing tendons/ligaments and screw up crucial joints (knee, ankle, hips ect) so do what your body tells you to do, not some random guy over the internet.

I usually hit open layups the.powerhouse's Avatar

My first suggestion would be stop wasting your time on jumping up at the rim like a fool and start practicing elements of your game that will actually help you get somewhere (shooting, dribbling, reading the game, etc