Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tips on Dunking

Default Re: Tips on Dunking

Firstly, none of the videos below are of me. They're all very short clips

Now, even a 'basic' dunk done with flair (like this or this) is harder than it looks. You have to be able to get very high to do it easily. Remember most 6' people's hands are over 8 inches long.

When he dunks it, it seems like his hand is only a maximum of maybe 5-6 inches above the rim. But his arm is bent and, in the first dunk, he probably hasn't taken off from the ideal position in terms of angle and distance. Plus he didn't bring the ball down immediately at the peak of his jump, he hung just a little longer. That's what makes it look good.

You'd need to get more like 8+ inches above the rim in ideal conditions (arm straight up and not bent, perfect distance, angle to the rim etc), to be able to pull that off consistently.

If you can just get 5-6 inches above the rim, this is more achievable:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyisCk7r0jY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-yibT-_KLg

Whereas if you can get well over 10 inches above the rim...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISnZzK9rOHM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWB38fyGoMg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02bgQghBZkk
    By the way, on that last dunk it went in but bounced off his head and back out

So that's why a lot of people look stupid when they attempt NBA style dunks or even tomahawks. Most of those dunks are done with a bent arm, and are thrown down after the peak of the jump; otherwise it just doesn't look right. So basically, you gotta have the ability to get high over the rim - even if your hand doesn't go that high over it for that particular dunk.

Cheers and have fun dunking

Quote Originally Posted by KOBEinSD24
    yea somebody told me that before
    did it work? if it didn't that means you have to get your hops up some more. can you get the middle of your forearm to the rim?

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease KOBEinSD24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gad23
    im serious i can hit the rim with my wrist but i keep hitting the back of the rim when i try to dunk. the tip of my middle finger to my wrist is 8 inches. hmm ill try to bend my wrist. i was always trying to power dunk it. lol.
    same here

Quote Originally Posted by Q.E.C
    did it work? if it didn't that means you have to get your hops up some more. can you get the middle of your forearm to the rim?
    i didnt try it and no just the bottom of my fingers get the rim and can almost grab it

i didnt try it and no just the bottom of my fingers get the rim and can almost grab it
    do you hop off of 1 leg or 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Q.E.C
    do you hop off of 1 leg or 2?
    i take two dribbles and take off with one foot, i can finger roll it of two feet but thats off one dribble

i got my first dunk today on a regulation hoop, i did it with one of those balls you get from chucky cheese or boomers, i got mine from some castle mini-golf/rollercoster place in phoenix last weekend

If anyone is a one foot jumper I can try to help you out.

Common-sense Cavs Fan

Learn to throw yourself an alley oop

I'm almost 5'9 and that's the only way I can do it, I can't palm it, and I can get my hand well over the rim.

Do it how they do it in the dunk contest, start around the 3 pt line around the wing side and just toss it up, and learn where you want it 2 land, get it to bounce high enough so you can grab it and put it in.

Or have someone stand around the hoop maybe the dotted Line or close and have them just toss it up around the rim.

With those you can get a running jump and not have 2 worry about the ball, you just run up with your speed and jump and then GO GET IT.

Or try the T mac or Vince all star dunk, throw it off of the backboard, but it comes back really quick, so you have 2 be an explosive leaper to dunk it.

i take two dribbles and take off with one foot, i can finger roll it of two feet but thats off one dribble

ok try this, when your by yourself do 1 step,then then 2 fast steps then hop off 2 feet as soon as you do that. keep your arm straight up in the air and bend your wrist.

High School Starter

dfas
    Last edited by VeeCee15; 06-29-2007 at 03:19 AM.

Saw a basketball once

Come down to the dunk contest at the Triple Double see www.3on3basketball.co.uk where you can register to play.

There'll also be a session on how to dunk from one of the best dunkers in the country - Andy Mathurin. (see the photo on the site).

Until then, my advice is - Calf Raises!

Saw a basketball once captobvious's Avatar

im 5'10, and 17 yrs old and can go up and grab the rim off one step easily and near grab with no step, my only problem is when i go from the three-point wing and go and dunk i get up but can't get the ball to go through, it either goes off the back rim or it goes off the backround and in, any suggestions to help me with this?
    your only 5 10 im 62 and i can only just touch the ring mind you your 2 years older then me

Im 7'1'' (17), I can dunk easily, but with one foot jumper (I have pretty small wingspan 4 my height). With two leg jumpers I can't get of the ground, especially with right leg-left leg jumper and right hand dunk. I can dunk only with left leg-right leg jump and left hand dunk (Im righthanded).
    Do u know some exercises I can do to jump higher with two legs??
    Last edited by jamal99; 11-04-2007 at 05:16 PM.

Bol'd over

Quote Originally Posted by Gad23
    i can get like 8-9 inches above the rim but i cant dunk it 1 handed. 2 handed is okay though. being able to grip the ball is a plus. practise with a tennis ball then volley ball etc.
    Appparently, Muggsy Bogues could dunk a volleyball, but couldn't palm a basketball, so no dunk. Check out the size of the guys legs, they don't lie.