Good High School Starter

Default Prime Vince Carter vs. Prime Tracy McGrady

Who you got?

I don't get picked last at the park anymore yanix's Avatar

Default Re: Prime Vince Carter vs. Prime Tracy McGrady

McGrady hands down

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Tracy easily. Better defender, better playmaker, equal or better scorer.

Banned

Peak - Tracy McGrady
    Prime - Vince Carter
    Career - Vince Carter

McGrady's peak was better than Vince Carter's but Vince Carter's prime lasted longer than McGrady's did which is the difference.

Both of these players had the same flaws. Tracy had a worse flaw and that was the fact that he was a bad teammate and an even worse leader. I remember saying that Vince Carter as the most underrated player in 2009 because he was doing a great job in New Jersey at the time. Vince Carter did a great job providing the leadership role in New Jersey after Jason Kidd got traded to Dallas which was in 2008. Vince Carter has the huge intangibles advantage over Tracy McGrady which is another reason why I would go with Vince.

Now factor in how VC got past the 1st round with Antonio Davis in 2001 as his 2nd best player and how Tmac never got past the 1st round with Yao Ming as his in 2005 and 2007 and it isn't close.

Also factor in how the Nets were a near playoff team in 2009 with VC to the worst team in the NBA in 2010 without VC and how the Rockets failed to get past he 1st round with McGrady in 2008 and how the Rockets got past the 1st round without McGrady in 2009.

VC is a HOFer, Tmac is borderline, neither are top 50 players of all-time either.

Made that high school varsity squad

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    Peak - Tracy McGrady
    Prime - Vince Carter
    Career - Vince Carter

McGrady's peak was better than Vince Carter's but Vince Carter's prime lasted longer than McGrady's did which is the difference.

Both of these players had the same flaws. Tracy had a worse flaw and that was the fact that he was a bad teammate and an even worse leader. I remember saying that Vince Carter as the most underrated player in 2009 because he was doing a great job in New Jersey at the time. Vince Carter did a great job providing the leadership role in New Jersey after Jason Kidd got traded to Dallas which was in 2008. Vince Carter has the huge intangibles advantage over Tracy McGrady which is another reason why I would go with Vince.

Now factor in how VC got past the 1st round with Antonio Davis in 2001 as his 2nd best player and how Tmac never got past the 1st round with Yao Ming as his in 2005 and 2007 and it isn't close.

Also factor in how the Nets were a near playoff team in 2009 with VC to the worst team in the NBA in 2010 without VC and how the Rockets failed to get past he 1st round with McGrady in 2008 and how the Rockets got past the 1st round without McGrady in 2009.

VC is a HOFer, Tmac is borderline, neither are top 50 players of all-time either.
    This. Let's not forget VC was one shot away from making ECF in 2001 and the raptors were worse than sixers. Who knows what happens if that shot went in.

Tmac

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by yanix
    McGrady hands down
    You should elaborate.

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    Peak - Tracy McGrady
    Prime - Vince Carter
    Career - Vince Carter

There prime lasted the same. One had 7 All-NBA teams and the other had only 2.

I am the First Officer ImmortalNemesis's Avatar

iDefend5? OP might be RocketsGreatness.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

What's there to argue? Mcgrady and it's not even close.

National High School Star FindingTim's Avatar

prime McGrady was far superior. where were you?

Banned

Vince had the better potential, more success

T-Mac as a player probably peaked at his full potential, peaked higher than Vince but never sustained it

in their primes? Vince proved he could carry a team to success and Tracy couldn't (despite ridiculous numbers)

people here have very short memories if they forget the season Carter had in '01. He may not have averaged 30+ pts but the team was going to work and beat a VERY tough knicks squad in the first round

in '03 T-Mac was clearly better than Vince, arguably the best wing in the league next to Kobe alone. But if you put it into context Vince had a major knee injury that season and the year before so we never got to see what Vince would have done had he not gotten hurt/not get to see him build on the success in '01

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    There prime lasted the same. One had 7 All-NBA teams and the other had only 2.
    All-NBA teams really? I prefer thinking for myself, not having others do it for me.

Mcgrady's prime lasted like 5 seasons ('00-'01 to '04-'05) while Carter's prime lasted for like 10 seasons ('99-'00 to '08-'09).

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz
    in their primes? Vince proved he could carry a team to success and Tracy couldn't (despite ridiculous numbers)
    Exactly, neither were really capable of winning as #1 options either but if you had to pick one, it's hard to not to go with Carter.

Carter got past the 1st round multiple times in his career but I brought up 2001 because he had Antonio Davis and almost no one else. McGrady? He had Yao Ming who was an elite big man, best Center at the time and Shane Battier who was the best perimeter defender in the league. Carter did more with less than Tmac did. It might be not be fair though since that was VC's peak season while McGrady was outside of his prime with Yao and Battier but he did have Yao in his last prime season ('04-'05) so no excuses.

I am the First Officer ImmortalNemesis's Avatar

In 05 he had Ryan Bowen, Bob Sura, and David Wesley. Trash.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Why do people incorporate team success into individual player arguments? I mean it's simple, the question isnt/wasn't team evaluated, or which prime lasted longer between the two. Question was who was the better player in their prime, and it's clearly McGrady.