Default Do people say Love isn't a #1 option due to aesthetics of play?

The guy just but up 26 ppg On 59 ts%. He's obviously an effective scorer. Guys like iverson who put up 29 ppg on 50 ts% are considered #1 option because they score on flashy jumpshots or difficult layups but Loves style of scoring is much more simplistic and straight foward so he's seen as a #3 option? Bottom line he's putting the ball in the basket on 26 ppg and great efficiency. I feel like this forum puts to much stock in how the score rather Han the ball simply going in the basket
    Last edited by atljonesbro; 08-08-2014 at 01:38 PM.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Default Re: Do people say Love isn't a #1 option due to aesthetics of play?

Since the 2000s, first options can't be white Americans.

You aren't a good scorer unless your go to move is a fadeaway over 3 defenders. Doesn't even matter even if you only make 30% of them.

No, it's about offensive skill sets not aesthetics.

In order to be a first option you need to be able to create for yourself effectively.

Kevin Love scores by three pointers, putbacks, cuts to the basket, and jump shots. He is efficient, but notice how in fourth quarters he shoots what? 36% I think it was.

That's because he cant create for himself in pressure situations. This is why guards are more likely to be first options, unless you have a big man that can score at any time.

Shaq, Duncan, Hakeem, etc.

Kevin Love doesnt have the skillset. Thus he can't be the first option.

Maybe, he's also white and not a great athlete... Anyways, Love gets underrated with all the empty stats stuff, and, with that, I'm not saying I TOTALLY disagree with all of that, plus he still needs to improve in many "areas".

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by navy

In order to be a first option you need to be able to create for yourself effectively.

Kevin Love scores by three pointers, putbacks, cuts to the basket, and jump shots. He is efficient, but notice how in fourth quarters he shoots what? 36% I think it was.

That's because he cant create for himself in pressure situations. This is why guards are more likely to be first options, unless you have a big man that can score at any time.

Spot on. Love is a tremendous player, but ideally(if the goal is to win the title), you'd want him as your second best player, not your best. For the reasons aforementioned.

Quote Originally Posted by PJR
    Spot on. Love is a tremendous player, but ideally(if the goal is to win the title), you'd want him as your second best player, not your best. For the reasons aforementioned.
    To add to my point,

How many Big Men in the NBA today are able to be the first option on a championship team? I cant think of any really. So it's not a real diss to Kevin Love.

Lamarcus Aldridge maybe? Only because he has the best isolation skill. Although, I suspect the Blazers will win only when Lillard is the clear number one.

Quote Originally Posted by navy

The problem I have with this is of his style of scoring is really that accessible then why don't you see a bunch of other players doing the same? You would see a bunch of people with 26 ppg on good efficiency if what he's doing is as easy as it's made out to be

Dunking on everybody in the park

He is not viewed as a true number one option because his team has never made the playoffs, struggled for being below .500 and he can't provide an elite level of rim protection as a big man.

Right or wrong, those reasons have been viewed as a great second option but not a great first option. He is really a better version of what Kobe Bryant got with Gasol, although Kobe Bryant never had a point guard like Irving entering his prime.

Their big three rivals what Oklahoma City has with theirs.
    Last edited by SOD 21; 08-08-2014 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by atljonesbro
    The problem I have with this is of his style of scoring is really that accessible then why don't you see a bunch of other players doing the same? You would see a bunch of people with 26 ppg on good efficiency if what he's doing is as easy as it's made out to be
    I never said it was easy. It just isnt going to win you a championship.

NBA rookie of the year 04mzwach's Avatar

Love knows how to do a little bit of everything. He just has to work on his game yet. He can still get better.