Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    rank sentamentalist

Default Re: Was the NBA truly better back then or are we all just nostalgic?

Yeah, better has definitions... if we're talking top talent individually, 1990's win... but right now, the stars are sorted in a way that there's as many title contenders as never before.
    there has been an entrance of a ton of talent these past few years

wiggins
    towns
    parker
    embiied?
    giannis
    davis

i'm sure others will also emerge. as lebron and dwight and paul and alrdidge wind down their prime, we have the star point guards in irving and curry and wall taking the next step, not to mention leonard and cousins and westbrook griffin durant etc

the league is in excellent hands right now. and considering the down slump was kobe and duncan and garnett prime years, i don't think the nba is in bad shape in general lol

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    there has been an entrance of a ton of talent these past few years

wiggins
    towns
    parker
    embiied?
    giannis
    davis

i'm sure others will also emerge. as lebron and dwight and paul and alrdidge wind down their prime, we have the star point guards in irving and curry and wall taking the next step, not to mention leonard and cousins and westbrook griffin durant etc

the league is in excellent hands right now. and considering the down slump was kobe and duncan and garnett prime years, i don't think the nba is in bad shape in general lol
    Its not, like I said, this decade has 9 players in the top 40 all time (future) that spent their prime here, and all the upcoming guys you just mentioned.. just all around strong.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    competition? Best its ever been... (best conference/era ever perhaps), recovered from the thin level at the top from 2008-2010.

There's never been a bigger discrepancy between the conferences since the merger.

http://www.sports-reference.com/blog...nce-disparity/

It's gotten to the point that the commissioner is thinking about effectively changing the playoff seeding process.

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59

There's never been a bigger discrepancy between the conferences since the merger.

http://www.sports-reference.com/blog...nce-disparity/

It's gotten to the point that the commissioner is thinking about effectively changing the playoff seeding process.
    right now as far as a viewing perspective, i don't mind seeing the best player in the league against the best team from the best conference year after year after year after year. and the way that best player's team is looking, this year is set up to be better than any other in recent history.

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW1EDGE
    The talent nowadays is better than its ever been in human history, problem is all the rule changes and officiating has taken the physicality and the emotion out of the game. You can't touch anyone without a foul call and showing any emotion whatsoever gets you a technical foul.
    My thoughts exactly. They have taken physicality and emotion out of the game, which I feel are part of the game. I miss the scuffles and rivalries built on trash talking and physicality. These guys are competing, you have to let them show some emotion and send some "sending a message" fouls once in a while.

In terms of the talent pool, I think it was incredibly strong starting around the mid 80's, when basketball really started to become popular and mainstream and by the late 80's, teams were already starting to scout for talent internationally. And after the Dream Team, the talent pool went fully global.

I have no idea how some can say the game was weak back in the late 80's/early 90's. Anyone who saids that probably never saw the game as it progressed to the present but were born after that time. So I don't think anyone can judge an era if you didn't live through it.

Decent college freshman

There is clearly a lack of the superstar player in today's league.

Lebron and Durant are the only two legit superstars. CP3 is a notch below and Harden and Curry are below CP3.

Its actually a transition period for the league as the late 90s and early 00s stars are either exiting their primes or on their way to retirement.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

in the early to mid 2000's you had guys like 3 top GOAT players playing in their prime, plus you had 3 top 25 players playing in their primes

not to mention guys like Pierce, Webber, Nash, Kidd in their primes as well

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    in the early to mid 2000's you had guys like 3 top GOAT players playing in their prime, plus you had 3 top 25 players playing in their primes

There were more big names and stars overall

Just compare the All Star roster's from 10 years ago in 2005 to today:

2005 All Stars:

West Roster:
    Kobe Bryant
    Tracy McGrady
    Kevin Garnett
    Tim Duncan
    Yao Ming
    Manu Ginobili
    Amar'e Stoudemire
    Ray Allen
    Shawn Marion
    Steve Nash
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Rashard Lewis

East Roster:
    Allen Iverson
    LeBron James
    Vince Carter
    Shaquille O'Neal
    Grant Hill
    Gilbert Arenas
    Antawn Jamison
    Dwyane Wade
    Zydrunas Ilgauskas
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Ben Wallace
    Paul Pierce

vs.

2015 All Stars:

West Roster
    James Harden
    Klay Thompson
    LaMarcus Aldridge
    Russell Westbrook
    Kevin Durant
    Tim Duncan
    Chris Paul
    Stephen Curry
    Kobe Bryant
    Anthony Davis
    Marc Gasol
    Blake Griffin
    DeMarcus Cousins
    Damian Lillard
    Dirk Nowitzki

East Roster:
    LeBron James
    John Wall
    Kyle Lowry
    Pau Gasol
    Carmelo Anthony
    Al Horford
    Jeff Teague
    Paul Millsap
    Jimmy Butler
    Kyrie Irving
    Chris Bosh
    Dwyane Wade
    Kyle Korver

This "era" is better than other "eras, imo, so...

Still, 80's = GOAT era, when considering everything.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Players are better in 'some' aspects, and the game is better in others.

But the game and players 'overall' were better back then.

You can see it from time to time, such as players today not knowing shit that was basic back then. Blake Griffin is a perfect example of this.

Blake Griffin is more versatile and athletic than Malone.

Blake can cross you over, he can jump over you, he has great body control for a player his size, but isn't as good as Malone.

Malone didn't have Blake's athleticism, body control, and ball handling. But he was more effective, knew how to use his body, and was mos def tougher.

Same with PGs.

They might be bigger and more athletic than some previous pgs, but they lack patience, IQ, court vision, etc.etc.

And YES more players can shoot from far away, the 3pt shot is a bigger weapon. But the in between game is basically forgotten.

The league used to be much stronger, especially in the 80s.

9x All Defensive 1st And1AllDay's Avatar

Maybe it's in my head, but players today just seem faster and more athletic.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen

thats 2 top 40-50 players... right now we have better players in their prime in BG/Harden/Russ/Curry AMONGSIDE 2 top GOAT players (Bron/KD< in the future) which equals Shaq/Duncan, but there aren't any top 15-25 guys besides Davis to stop Kobe/Dirk/Wade/KG

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by And1AllDay
    Maybe it's in my head, but players today just seem faster and more athletic.
    The rules are part of it.

And even then, that doesn't make the league better, otherwise the Spurs wouldn't have any rings, Love wouldn't have any rebounding titles, and James White would be an MVP front runner every season.