Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Greg Monroe to the Bucks, per Woj

Interesting fit for the Bucks. They have the reverse of what you would typically imagine when building a defense. Super long and ranging perimeter guys so they can probably get away with throwing out a front line that sacrifices on rim protection.

Bucks are definitely a LP pick for me next year.

Hustle Loyalty Respect Knicks101's Avatar

Think this cements Aldridge to the Knicks. [COLOR="White"] lol[/COLOR]

Good college starter Charlie Sheen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    I don't understand the signing.
    What position does Monroe play? PF.
    What position does Parker play? PF.
    Play them both together? Fine, whatever. Who defends the post?

So now...
    MCW I guess?
    Giannis
    Middleton
    Parker
    Monroe

Ugh. Give me Henson in that starting spot, or another C like Robin Lopez, Kosta Koufos... and I love it. But Monroe? WTF does he bring that the team didn't have?
    Monroe just has to be smart, play angles and position himself well. Giannis is gonna be tasked with a much heavier responsibility on defense to cover a lot of ground in a help, roaming role. Kidd is creative, I've got all the belief in the world he'll make this work in his favor.

Very good NBA starter

So now...
    MCW I guess?
    Giannis
    Middleton
    Parker
    Monroe

Ugh. Give me Henson in that starting spot, or another C like Robin Lopez, Kosta Koufos... and I love it. But Monroe? WTF does he bring that the team didn't have?
    They are moving Giannis to the 2 i believe. parker at the 3. Monroe is going to flourish because defensively, eh doesn't have to worry as much. He has defenders.

Banned

Monroe can be extremely effective if he is really active setting ball screens... One of the better post players in the league, he can do damage

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by PP34Deuce
    They are moving Giannis to the 2 i believe. parker at the 3. Monroe is going to flourish because defensively, eh doesn't have to worry as much. He has defenders.
    So if Parker is 3, then does that mean Middleton is 4? Doesn't matter... Parker and Monroe still strike me as similar offensive games in that (and solely in that) they operate larger in the paint expanded out to 15'. Just seems like an odd fit.

And that's on offense! Where the team is pretty set. But D? I can't wrap my head around that. OK, so building a defense backwards.... but will that matter? With elite shooting, the wings can't help DOWN too often, so any team that can toss it inside (admittedly not many) will do well against this Bucks roster.

And all those reservations, and I have not even touched on the (likely) exorbitant contract for a player that should be your 3rd, or even FOURTH!, best player in a year.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

I don't hate this, but don't love it either.

That seems like a favorable contract for Monroe. A player option in year 3? Playing on a team he's going to be featured quite a bit?

Dude is gonna take that option and get another huge payday again in 2 years once the cap explodes. I feel like the real value with a guy like Monroe here would have been to get him as long as possible, but perhaps that was impossible.

Bucks could be a really freaking nice team as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose'sACL
    Overpaid. He doesn't deserve max.
    Absolutely not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose'sACL
    Overpaid. He doesn't deserve max.
    It's a 3 year deal. If the experiment doesn't work out it really isn't a big deal considering how short the contract is. 3/50 for Monroe is fine for a team like the Bucks. He provides some much needed offense.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Really weird signing. Monroe is a good offensive weapon, but Bucks have no lack of offence. He is also an awful defender, so how does he fit on a team that prides itself on length and pestering defence? Sanders was actually a perfect C for them, too bad he is crazy. Risky move for the franchise, this probably puts them close to luxury, even after dropping Ilyasova. Monroe might end up being next Drew Gooden for them.

It does make sense for Monroe, though. LAL and NYK probably tried to haggle with him, he spurned them for a team that gave him the max.

Quote Originally Posted by Knicks101
    Think this cements Aldridge to the Knicks. [COLOR="White"] lol[/COLOR]

Knicks and Lakers fans are 2 peas in a pod.

College superstar

So now...
    MCW I guess?
    Giannis
    Middleton
    Parker
    Monroe

You are missing the entire purpose and identity of the Bucks. If they can switch everything (and with Monroe it gets tricky) you can't just put thim into a PnR and make them scramble. They were the #2 D in the NBA and all their guys are kids. When they mature they are going to be FANTASTIC defensively. A 6'7" PG, a 6'8" SG, a 7' guy that can defend 2/3/4/5, a 6'9" scorer, and now a 6'11" PF/C.

And I scoff at the notion that a 6'11" 250lb man cannot play C in todays NBA. What C in the east can't he defend? If there are any Zaza will play more that day. NBD.

Quote Originally Posted by morbius
    Really weird signing. Monroe is a good offensive weapon, but Bucks have no lack of offence.
    hm. I think they had the 4th best defense and 26 best offense last year off the top of my head.

College superstar

Really weird signing. Monroe is a good offensive weapon, but Bucks have no lack of offence. He is also an awful defender, so how does he fit on a team that prides itself on length and pestering defence? Sanders was actually a perfect C for them, too bad he is crazy. Risky move for the franchise, this probably puts them close to luxury, even after dropping Ilyasova. Monroe might end up being next Drew Gooden for them.

It does make sense for Monroe, though. LAL and NYK probably tried to haggle with him, he spurned them for a team that gave him the max.
    The Bucks ABSOLUTELY have a lack of offense. They were the #4 defense in the NBA (and 2nd in some metrics) and were #26 in offense.

Close to luxury? WTF?
    Player 15-16
    MONROE $15,800,000
    MIDDLETON $12,000,000
    MAYO $8,000,000
    VASQUEZ $6,600,000
    PACHULIA $5,200,000
    PARKER $5,152,440
    DUDLEY $4,250,000
    BAYLESS $3,000,000
    HENSON $2,943,221
    CARTER-WILLIAMS $2,399,040
    PLUMLEE $2,109,294
    SANDERS BUYOUT $1,865,546
    GIANNIS $1,953,960
    ENNIS $1,662,360
    VAUGHN $1,444,200
    INGLIS $855,000
    JOB $845,059

PROJECTED SALARY CAP $69,000,000
    COMMITTED SALARY $76,080,120
    CAP SPACE -$7,080,120
    EXPIRING CONTRACTS $32,102,515

National High School Star CJ Mustard's Avatar

Really weird signing. Monroe is a good offensive weapon, but Bucks have no lack of offence..