Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default How would the 76ers All-Time Team do against the All-Time Lakers team?

Been using Whatifsports a lot lately for fun, and the simulator has indicated that the All-Time Lakers team easily beats the All-Time Celtics team in most cases. All-Time Bulls also usually lose, although IIRC I ran a simulation where they did okay. The issues I have are selecting players (some are obvious, some I have to just quickly glance at stats and base it off what I've heard), selecting which season for each particular player (again, stats usually are all I have here, unless it is a very recent season), and setting the rotations. The All-Time team I may have found that can most challenge, or even beat, the All-Time Lakers is the All-Time 76ers team. They won 4-1 in a best of 7 simulation in which they started as the home team. Further simulations obviously will indicate more, and again, this is just a website, and is not indicative of what really would happen.

But do you guys think the Sixers could make the Lakers sweat in a series?

Here is what I have for the All Time 76ers:

2001 Allen Iverson
    1966 Hal Greer
    1980 Julius Erving
    1988 Charles Barkley
    1967 Wilt Chamberlain

1983 Moses Malone
    1970 Billy Cunningham
    1958 Dolph Schayes
    1981 Bobby Jones
    2008 Andre Iguodala
    1986 Maurice Cheeks
    1991 Hersey Hawkins

Here is the All-Time Lakers team

1987 Magic Johnson
    2003 Kobe Bryant
    1961 Elgin Baylor
    1976 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    2000 Shaquille O'Neal

1966 Jerry West
    1969 Wilt Chamberlain
    1972 Gail Goodrich
    1953 George Mikan
    2010 Pau Gasol
    1981 Jamaal Wilkes
    1990 James Worthy

Default Re: How would the 76ers All-Time Team do against the All-Time Lakers team?

If anyone is curious, here is what I created for Boston

The Celtics

1957 Bob Cousy
    1965 Sam Jones
    1986 Larry Bird
    1973 Dave Cowens
    1962 Bill Russell

1972 John Havlicek
    1987 Kevin McHale
    1956 Bill Sharman
    1972 Jo Jo White
    2002 Paul Pierce
    1982 Robert Parish
    2008 Kevin Garnet

I couldn't decide whether or not Havlicek and McHale should start, since they often were 6th men. Regardless, they got the most minutes at their respective positions.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Default Re: How would the 76ers All-Time Team do against the All-Time Lakers team?

Lakers are better at every position..

Ran another simulation, this time with the Lakers with HC. Sixers won in 7, barely though. Very surprising, I do think this simulator doesn't accurately reflect the frequency at which some players draw fouls or shoot three pointers. For instance, in the decisive game 7, Kareem Shaq AND Magic COMBINED for ZERO free throws Can't see that happening. Ever.

The Game 7 box score

\

@Mark,

Are they? Wilt vs Shaq is certainly debatable, as is Dr. J vs Baylor.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

damn i was about to blast you for using a simulation..

but i see that two wilt chamberlains combined for 11 points on 33% FT and I realized how fuccing accurate this is..

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    damn i was about to blast you for using a simulation..

but i see that two wilt chamberlains combined for 11 points on 33% FT and I realized how fuccing accurate this is..

It is very fun to do, you should try it out.

But like I said, it does need work.

Fun thing to do since you're a Kobe guy (I did it myself even though I'm not): make a team with 06 Kobe and give him the worst possible teammates (i.e. starting lineup of Scalabrine, VSpan, Tskitishvili, Adam Morrison and even worse bench if possible). He will score a lot to say the least.

Wilt with the typical Game 7 choke. LOL

Celtics vs Lakers again. Lakers home team. Lakers win 4-2.

Here are box scores for games 3, 5 and 6.

Kobe with 3 FGA?

College superstar

One thing I noticed with using WIS is that you need to keep in mind the usage figure attached to each player.

Also, since it's a sim it obviously doesn't take in to account egos.

And, lastly, what were you adjusting minutes to? Did you touch any of that?

There are so many minor details that matter, that a real life coach would do by second nature... again, it's just a sim. We all could have told you that the 76ers all time team was nasty, though.

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    One thing I noticed with using WIS is that you need to keep in mind the usage figure attached to each player.

Also, since it's a sim it obviously doesn't take in to account egos.

And, lastly, what were you adjusting minutes to? Did you touch any of that?

There are so many minor details that matter, that a real life coach would do by second nature... again, it's just a sim. We all could have told you that the 76ers all time team was nasty, though.
    Minutes I based on how great each player was for that team and how many minutes there were to go around at their position(s).

Also, the Celtics team I created is getting consistently destroyed by both the Lakers and Sixer teams. Should I try the Bulls instead?
    The Heat all-time team is pretty nuts tbqh even though Miami is a newer franchise

Curious what older posters think?

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    Curious what older posters think?
    One thing is for certain, a '67 Wilt is not going to get outplayed by any Laker center (including a Laker Wilt.) And we know that Moses just dominated Kareem in their career H2H's, as well. Don't be misled by his lower scoring, either. Just the season before, he was just annihilating his HOF peers in their H2H's, (hanging a 46-34 game on Russell in the EDF's, outscoring Bellamy by a 50-26 margin, and having games against Thurmond in which he outscored him by margins of 38-15 and 45-13.)

Still, LA would have a huge edge in the backcourt.

I would give the Lakers a slight nod.
    Last edited by LAZERUSS; 08-08-2015 at 12:04 PM.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    One thing is for certain, a '67 Wilt is not going to get outplayed by any Laker center (including a Laker Wilt.) And we know that Moses just dominated Kareem in their career H2H's, as well. Don't be misled by his lower scoring, either. Just the season before, he was just annihilating his HOF peers in their H2H's, (hanging a 46-34 game on Russell in the EDF's, outscoring Bellamy by a 50-26 margin, and having games against Thurmond in which he outscored him by margins of 38-15 and 45-13.)

Still, LA would have a huge edge in the backcourt.

I would give the Lakers a slight nod.
    That's not for certain