Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Clyde drexler vs. Paul pierce

I like Pierce's versatility. He could score from mid-range, shoot 40% from downtown, and post you up. He had the ability to play the 2 or 3 and do so at similar efficiency. Both guys were good defenders, but Pierce wasn't a gambler like Clyde was. Clyde often gambled for steals and would miss at times. Pierce stayed with his man and could lock guys down.

Basically, what it comes down to is Pierce was a bit more consistent and reliable. Clyde was the more explosive of the two. If you need a 40 point game or a triple-double, Clyde was more likely to give you that. If you want someone reliable that can score in almost any way, get to the line with relative ease, and play smart defense, Pierce is who you want.

Banned

Pierce is a good/great defender, I don't know why you are all saying he's shit on the defensive end?

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by TheAdmiral3
    why?
    Because he was better and had greater impact.
    Clyde at his best was something really special and he gets forgotten sometimes because he had to deal with playing in the same era as Jordan.

Although Pierce was really good himself I wouldn't rank him over Clyde. Pierce only cracked the top 10 MVP list of the year once in his career and he was on 7th place that year.

Clyde cracked the top 10 MVP list 4 times and he even made it 2nd one year. Clyde was a more efficient scorer, shot with higher % although Pierce has a higher career average.

Clyde was also a better passer and I feel like he often gets underrated for his defense, he was a hard guy to play against.

In all, Pierce just can't be picked over Drexler.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    In all, Pierce just can't be picked over Drexler.
    Please dawg, Pierce has a great argument over Drexler. I am not sure if I would put Pierce over Drexler in my all-time list but I would definitely consider it.

Pierce was better and more reliable in the post-season and all the stats pretty much back that up. I think Pierce was more reliable because he was much better than Drexler in scoring in the halfcourt. Drexler was more athletic and the much better transition player than Pierce was but the game slows down in the playoffs so you have to rely on your halfcourt game more.

Pierce was a pretty good all-around player himself. He was a pretty good defensive player, a really good rebounder, and a decent passer who could play point-forward if asked.

Pierce was also far more important, better, and more instrumental in his '08 championship than Drexler was in his '95 championship. Neither of them were the best player on their championship teams but Pierce has a better case as the best player on the championship team than Drexler does. Paul Pierce did end up winning the finals MVP you know...

Paul Pierce was the most underrated player in the 2000s
    Clyde Drexler was one of, if not the most overrated players in the 90s. It's between him and David Robinson.

They are very close on the all-time list. I would take Pierce, though Drexler may currently be higher on the list.

Pierce will likely pass him over the next 3 years.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    Please dawg, Pierce has a great argument over Drexler. I am not sure if I would put Pierce over Drexler in my all-time list but I would definitely consider it.
    You have terrible arguments..

Pierce was better and more reliable in the post-season and all the stats pretty much back that up. I think Pierce was more reliable because he was much better than Drexler in scoring in the halfcourt. Drexler was more athletic and the much better transition player than Pierce was but the game slows down in the playoffs so you have to rely on your halfcourt game more.
    Oh, he was?
    First of all, Clyde was in the playoffs 15 times (in 15 seasons), now compare that to Pierce 8 times. A more reliable scorer with lower FG% sounds great, doesn't it?

Drexler averaged 27 points per game on 50% shooting in '88, now go and find one of Pierce highest PPG seasons a la his '06 season when he averaged 26.8 ppg on 47% shooting. Peak Drexler scored just as much as Pierce.. but with better FG%..

Pierce was a pretty good all-around player himself. He was a pretty good defensive player, a really good rebounder, and a decent passer who could play point-forward if asked.
    Not as all-round as Clyde and he was a worse passer then Clyde, no doubt and not a better rebounder either. Defensively I don't think he was neither better or worse.

Pierce was also far more important, better, and more instrumental in his '08 championship than Drexler was in his '95 championship. Neither of them were the best player on their championship teams but Pierce has a better case as the best player on the championship team than Drexler does. Paul Pierce did end up winning the finals MVP you know...
    When was the last time Paul even made it to the playoffs without an all-star on his team? Clyde Drexler lead his team to the finals in 1992 WITHOUT any all-stars.

If peak Drexler could have a 20-10 guy who was top 3 in the MVP ranking and and a first all-defensive player and an all-star SG I have a hard time seeing him not being able to win a ring in his prime.. Just saying.. And lets not forget that Drexler was damn good in '95.

Paul Pierce was the most underrated player in the 2000s
    Clyde Drexler was one of, if not the most overrated players in the 90s. It's between him and David Robinson.
    No, Pierce wasn't one of the most underrated, at least not any longer. And haha, Clyde is absolutely not overrated and David Robinson? How the hell is Drob overrated? Everyone is clowning him because that one series against Hakeem. You are an idiot..

Decent playground baller crawdaddy4ou's Avatar

The Glide

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    Oh, he was?
    First of all, Clyde was in the playoffs 15 times (in 15 seasons), now compare that to Pierce 8 times. A more reliable scorer with lower FG% sounds great, doesn't it?
    Did you factor in what kind of teammates Drexler had and what kind of teammates Pierce had in his career? Pierce has played with some weak teammates and not only has he been able to carry them to the playoffs but he was able to carry them to the ECF ('01-'02 season).

Drexler had a very good supporting cast in Portland. Drexler wasn't even the closer on his very own team, Terry Porter was. There was never a doubt who the closer, best and most reliable scorer on the Celtics was, it was Paul Pierce.

Pierce's production and efficiency was much better than Drexler's in the post-season.

Drexler averaged 27 points per game on 50% shooting in '88, now go and find one of Pierce highest PPG seasons a la his '06 season when he averaged 26.8 ppg on 47% shooting. Peak Drexler scored just as much as Pierce.. but with better FG%..
    FG%?? How about you compare their eFG%? their TS%? You know? Two shooting stats that are far better than FG%?

I'll do it....

Drexler's season best in TS% with the Blazers (a.k.a when he was #1 option) was 56.4% TS in the the '87-'88 season

Pierce's season best in TS% with the Celtics (a.k.a when he was #1 option) was 58.3% TS in the '04-'05 season.

Keep in mind that the TS% average was higher in Drexler's era than it was in Pierce's era. So the fact that Pierce had a higher TS% AND he did it in a era where it was tougher to do it in is saying something.

Now lets compare their eFG% when they were #1 options.

Drexler's two best seasons in eFG% were both 50.9% eFG

Pierce's two best season's eFG% were '01-'02 and '05-'06.

'01-'02 - 50.8% eFG
    '05-'06 - 50.9% eFG

They are pretty much identical but Pierce's career eFG% (49.8%) beats Drexler's career eFG% (49.5%).

This pretty means Pierce was more aggressive, got to the line more often, took advantage of getting to the line, and took tougher and lower % shots such as 3 but made them at a decent rate to make it up.

Keep in mind that all I have listed so far is regular season production. If you want me to list post-season production I'll be gladly too but that would support Pierce's side, not Drexler's.

Not as all-round as Clyde and he was a worse passer then Clyde, no doubt and not a better rebounder either. Defensively I don't think he was neither better or worse.
    Pierce was a little bit better defensively. Drexler may have been a better rebounder but it wasn't by much especially defensive rebounding. Drexler was clearly the better offensive rebounder though, Drexler was probably the best offensive rebounding wing player to ever play really. All the stats point to Drexler being the better rebounder and I can't really disagree with it even with my own eyes.

When was the last time Paul even made it to the playoffs without an all-star on his team? Clyde Drexler lead his team to the finals in 1992 WITHOUT any all-stars.
    That's like saying Michael Jordan won a championship without any all-stars in '91 and in '98. Just because Pippen wasn't listed as an all-star doesn't mean he wasn't. Terry Porter for whatever reason was listed as an all-star in '92 but he was an all-star in '91 and '93. I think it is safe to call Porter an all-star. Not to mention Clyde's overall cast was pretty good anyways. They don't have to be all-stars but they can be very good role players.

If peak Drexler could have a 20-10 guy who was top 3 in the MVP ranking and and a first all-defensive player and an all-star SG I have a hard time seeing him not being able to win a ring in his prime.. Just saying.. And lets not forget that Drexler was damn good in '95.
    What does this have to do with anything? All I said was Pierce was more instrumental to hi championship run for his team than Drexler was and that is pretty much a fact. It might be a testimonial to how good Hakeem was but Drexler's role wasn't as vital as Pierce's.

No, Pierce wasn't one of the most underrated, at least not any longer. And haha, Clyde is absolutely not overrated and David Robinson? How the hell is Drob overrated? Everyone is clowning him because that one series against Hakeem. You are an idiot..
    They are both overrated but that is just my opinion and many others. I have no problem picking Clyde over Pierce in the all-time list but Pierce has a good argument himself.

Drexler, come on. Lol a Drex being one of the more overrated players of his era. He took his eam the the Finals twice. He played in an era that featured both MJs, Ewing, Dream, Robinson, Stockton & Malone, Barkley, Bird, Wilkins, Zeke and at times was considered better than over half of them. Pierce played with Shaq & Kobe, Duncan, Iverson, KG, Dirk, McGrady, Webber, VC and was never considered better than any of them. He was with Jermaine O'Neal and Ray Allen in that bunch.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Drexler, come on. Lol a Drex being one of the more overrated players of his era. He took his eam the the Finals twice. He played in an era that featured both MJs, Ewing, Dream, Robinson, Stockton & Malone, Barkley, Bird, Wilkins, Zeke and at times was considered better than over half of them. Pierce played with Shaq & Kobe, Duncan, Iverson, KG, Dirk, McGrady, Webber, VC and was never considered better than any of them. He was with Jermaine O'Neal and Ray Allen in that bunch.
    shut the fukk up fakkit

you remind me of barkley with your consistent agenda on paul.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJoker23
    shut the fukk up fakkit
    Reveal yourself blackjoker?

Quote Originally Posted by kNIOKAS
    you remind me of barkley with your consistent agenda on paul.
    What agenda?

Is this a joke?

Drexler was regarded as the 2nd best SG behind Jordan in the late 1980's and early 1990's.

Good High School Starter

Reveal yourself blackjoker?
    will do so as soon as u do