Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Lamar Odom's salary would fall from $8.9 million to $2.6 in NBA owners' proposal

Quote Originally Posted by Walker
    This is exactly the stupid reasoning the players are going into this with.
    Only 2.6 million? ONLY?
    2.6 million dollars a year is insane money, anyone who can't live VERY comfortably on that sort of money is a retard.
    All professional players get paid WAY too much, well in most cases (not in Australia and some other places). What are they doing that justifies such ridiculous pay....
    Yeah, and he's gettin money from other endorsements, not to mention a television show.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Lamar Odom's salary would fall from $8.9 million to $2.6 in NBA owners' proposal

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Yeah, and he's gettin money from other endorsements, not to mention a television show.
    So what? The owners make tons of money off their other businesses. What does that have to do with the NBA?

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Money is money. No one likes to lose money, no matter how much.

Banned

That's about 2 million too much for Lamar Odom.

I rep Lakers!

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Being a few hundred people generating billions of dollars.

Im often amazed at how people choose to look at these issues. act like athletes are overpaid for getting a big cut of money they work to produce. So what its a game...the people spending billions on it...the money has to go somewhere. And the people generating those billions arent trying to get paid like they could be easily replaced. These arent employees at Mcdonalds. The NBa minus the best players in the world is not generating the money it does. The stars especially make so many people so much money they should probably be paid more. Lebron james jersey sold like 2 million times in 2011....at 35-80 dollars a piece. He may well have sold 100 million dollars just in nba related shit with his name on it. 20 thousand people will pay 10-1000 bucks to go see Kobe play in the PRESEASON for 15 minutes then sit out the night. While there they buy food, pay for parking, and get all sorts of things.

In one night...24 guys generate half a million justi n ticket sales and tickets arent even where most of the money comes from. Ive paid 50 dollars for NBA tickets and spend just as much parking, buying food, and so on

You have 30 teams of guys who can make a million+ EVERY night just off ticket sales. Plus a 7.4 billion dollar TV deal which is a whole other matter....

So much money is made of these guys the idea that they are overpaid because its just a game cant be supported.

It isnt a kid playing catch i nthe backyard. Its a handful of guys used to make billions of dollars.

Being good at that game is why.

Asking what they do to deserve the money just doesnt make sense.

Typical forum member: "But, but, but - "the NBA pays way more than what any teams in Euroleague pay"."

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan
    Stern can't do that, because the league is required to negotiate in good faith, and if he does that, that is an indication that the league hasn't been.
    That's perfectly legal in the USA. That is exactly how the USA operates now under the law. Or have you been living in a cave?

Quote Originally Posted by Walker
    This is exactly the stupid reasoning the players are going into this with.
    Only 2.6 million? ONLY?
    2.6 million dollars a year is insane money, anyone who can't live VERY comfortably on that sort of money is a retard.
    All professional players get paid WAY too much, well in most cases (not in Australia and some other places). What are they doing that justifies such ridiculous pay....
    Let me ask you this. Who the hell in their right mind would EVER agree to get 1/4 of their previous salary? That is not just a massive cut, it's an absurd one. Say you were making $40k a yr. With the same cut, you would be well below the poverty line if you were trying to support a family. There really isn't anything else to say.
    Last edited by Dbrog; 08-24-2011 at 12:46 PM.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    They've already gone to court, and stated that they can void all contracts if the union decided to decertify.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba-wp6830
    It's not about whether they can but whether they WOULD. They just wouldn't risk it. Too much too lose.

If you're the Lakers do you seriously void Kobe Bryant's contract? If you're the Orlando Magic do you risk that Dwight Howard will return to your team?

Very good NBA starter

Being a few hundred people generating billions of dollars.

Im often amazed at how people choose to look at these issues. act like athletes are overpaid for getting a big cut of money they work to produce. So what its a game...the people spending billions on it...the money has to go somewhere. And the people generating those billions arent trying to get paid like they could be easily replaced. These arent employees at Mcdonalds. The NBa minus the best players in the world is not generating the money it does. The stars especially make so many people so much money they should probably be paid more. Lebron james jersey sold like 2 million times in 2011....at 35-80 dollars a piece. He may well have sold 100 million dollars just in nba related shit with his name on it. 20 thousand people will pay 10-1000 bucks to go see Kobe play in the PRESEASON for 15 minutes then sit out the night. While there they buy food, pay for parking, and get all sorts of things.

In one night...24 guys generate half a million justi n ticket sales and tickets arent even where most of the money comes from. Ive paid 50 dollars for NBA tickets and spend just as much parking, buying food, and so on

You have 30 teams of guys who can make a million+ EVERY night just off ticket sales. Plus a 7.4 billion dollar TV deal which is a whole other matter....

So much money is made of these guys the idea that they are overpaid because its just a game cant be supported.

It isnt a kid playing catch i nthe backyard. Its a handful of guys used to make billions of dollars.

Being good at that game is why.

Asking what they do to deserve the money just doesnt make sense.
    From what I can tell you don't think players (today) are overpaid...

Just out of curiosity, at what point would the average NBA player become overpaid?

and do you feel, with current contract trends, that it's headed in that direction?

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac

Just out of curiosity, at what point would the average NBA player become overpaid?

and do you feel, with current contract trends, that it's headed in that direction?
    No one can be overpaid unless the person who has to pay it signed the contract with a gun to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    It's not about whether they can but whether they WOULD. They just wouldn't risk it. Too much too lose.

If you're the Lakers do you seriously void Kobe Bryant's contract? If you're the Orlando Magic do you risk that Dwight Howard will return to your team?
    The Lakers should void Kobe's contract. It would be the best decision in franchise history.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac

Some players are overpaid (Rashard Lewis, Eddy Curry, etc) and some players are grossly underpaid (pretty much every superstar) so it all evens out. The players generate billions of dollars in revenue and according to the CBA which was negotiated between the union and the league they are supposed to receive whatever % was agreed upon. If the owners weren't happy with that % at that time, they never should have signed the CBA.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I cant call it without looking at the books and what comes in in total. As I said...if they sell 2 million lebron or Kobe jerseys a year for 10 years...they just made a billion dollars off him alone(minus the production and all but...you know what I mean). So a lot of the guys making the most...the stars...MIGHT...be underpaid. But who can say what a random guy generates?

Id say that the idea that players are over paid just because they make millions off a game is just crazy though. When they dont produce billions they shouldnt get millions.

Really...how much money must parking alone generate in the NBA? 20 thousand people so like...7-8 thousand cars...its 20-35 dollars to park at a Bulls game. Imagine 20 bucks...8000 times a night...41 games a season plus playoffs? Its 197 million dollars a year for all 32 teams to get 41 home games before playoffs..just for parking if its 8000 cars a game(of course..some take trains...cabs...bus...whatever...just an estimate).

Or concession fees? I knew a guy who worked on a crew at Ericsson stadium in charlotte(bank of america stadium now....Panthers). The concessions guys were making THOUSANDs a day selling just drinks. sodas. The soda station alone was counting out stacks every night. And the team got paid absurd fees for the rights to sell shit in the stadium. Thats NFL but...same deal you know?

Selling 10 million jerseys at 30 to 80 bucks a piece? And I read Lebron alone sold 1.6 in just a part of last season. How many you think sell league wide?

How much per player is it when they sign a 7 billion dollar Tv deal?

Or the overseas tv deals? The exclusive rights to broadcast Yao games in mainland china perhaps?

I know players get a lot...rooms...food...all that. but they generate an obscene sum of money. They deserve millions.

Edit for fact checking;

An espn article says the Cavs made 72 million in a single year off Lebron jerseys and that he sold 1.6 through part of last season...but a Forbes article on top selling sports jerseys says tony romo sold 3 million in a year and the top 5 NBA jerseys were all under a million. So....take up the disparity with them.
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 08-26-2011 at 12:23 AM.

3-time NBA All-Star

I cant call it without looking at the books and what comes in in total. As I said...if they sell 2 million lebron or Kobe jerseys a year for 10 years...they just made a billion dollars off him alone(minus the production and all but...you know what I mean). So a lot of the guys making the most...the stars...MIGHT...be underpaid. But who can say what a random guy generates?

Id say that the idea that players are over paid just because they make millions off a game is just crazy though. When they dont produce billions they shouldnt get millions.

Really...how much money must parking alone generate in the NBA? 20 thousand people so like...7-8 thousand cars...its 20-35 dollars to park at a Bulls game. Imagine 20 bucks...8000 times a night...41 games a season plus playoffs? Its 197 million dollars a year for all 32 teams to get 41 home games before playoffs..just for parking if its 8000 cars a game(of course..some take trains...cabs...bus...whatever...just an estimate).

Or concession fees? I knew a guy who worked on a crew at Ericsson stadium in charlotte(bank of america stadium now....Panthers). The concessions guys were making THOUSANDs a day selling just drinks. sodas. The soda station alone was counting out stacks every night. And the team got paid absurd fees for the rights to sell shit in the stadium. Thats NFL but...same deal you know?

Selling 10 million jerseys at 30 to 80 bucks a piece? And I read Lebron alone sold 1.6 in just a part of last season. How many you think sell league wide?

How much per player is it when they sign a 7 billion dollar Tv deal?

Or the overseas tv deals? The exclusive rights to broadcast Yao games in mainland china perhaps?

I know players get a lot...rooms...food...all that. but they generate an obscene sum of money. They deserve millions.

Edit for fact checking;

An espn article says the Cavs made 72 million in a single year off Lebron jerseys and that he sold 1.6 through part of last season...but a Forbes article on top selling sports jerseys says tony romo sold 3 million in a year and the top 5 NBA jerseys were all under a million. So....take up the disparity with them.
    Great post. People that think NBA players are overpaid don't know basic economics. Simple as that.

Not to mention the number of jobs that wouldn't be around if leagues like the NBA, NHL, NFL, and MLB weren't around.

There are certain players that overpaid and some that are underpaid, but no way in hell are they overpaid as a whole. If anything, I have a feel they are underpaid as a whole. If they are generating the same amount of revenue as the MLB, which I'm assuming they are, they must be underpaid since they get paid so much less with the salary cap system.