Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default why don't more people realize you can't win without a big?

I mean a legitimate big man that can protect the rim. Unless you have LeBron on your team, you aren't winning sh1t. There's no way around it. All of the winning teams of recent years had a solid bigman that protected the rim (lebrons team doesn't really need one).

Always irritated me when people go off about having an elite perimeter player or upgrading their back court. Even when people brag about suns having goran and bledsoe, yeah theyre great but reality is suns are going nowhere without a better frontcourt. It doesn't matter if goran keeps up his all star caliber play and bledsoe continues to flourish, the paint is still vacated. Plumlee cant play big minutes to be a playoffs rim protector.

Im actually very jealous of the pelicans, they have the makings of a dynasty with Anthony Davis. I'd trade anyone on the suns team for him. Pretty soon he's going to take that team to the playoffs.

Default Re: why don't more people realize you can't win without a big?

lebron is a big ass guy. so yes every team always needs a big

Great college starter Quickening's Avatar

This is why its laughable people think the heat are super stacked outside LeBron. Swap LeBron with the star player of any contending team and they become favorites, he is that good all round.

Banned

LeBron still needs a decent big to win.

National High School Star Fire Colangelo's Avatar

You can't win without a PG either

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    I mean a legitimate big man that can protect the rim. Unless you have LeBron on your team, you aren't winning sh1t. There's no way around it. All of the winning teams of recent years had a solid bigman that protected the rim (lebrons team doesn't really need one).

Always irritated me when people go off about having an elite perimeter player or upgrading their back court. Even when people brag about suns having goran and bledsoe, yeah theyre great but reality is suns are going nowhere without a better frontcourt. It doesn't matter if goran keeps up his all star caliber play and bledsoe continues to flourish, the paint is still vacated. Plumlee cant play big minutes to be a playoffs rim protector.

Im actually very jealous of the pelicans, they have the makings of a dynasty with Anthony Davis. I'd trade anyone on the suns team for him. Pretty soon he's going to take that team to the playoffs.

90s Bulls say "Hi".

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Colangelo
    You can't win without a PG either

90s Bulls say "Hi" to you, too.

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    90s Bulls say "Hi" to you, too.
    No, they had a PG.

Unless BJ Armstrong, John Paxson, Ron Harper, Steve Kerr don't count as PGs.

My point is, the OP said you can't win without a good big man. Well truth is you you can't win without a decent guard either.

Btw, Horace Grant is way too underrated on those early 90's Bulls teams. And Rodman, while not big, had a big game. He at the very least solved the Bulls rebounding problems.
    Last edited by Fire Colangelo; 03-02-2014 at 06:56 PM.

Only Shaq, Lebron and MJ go against OPs theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Colangelo
    No, they had a PG.

Unless BJ Armstrong, John Paxson, Ron Harper, Steve Kerr don't count as PGs.

My point is, the OP said you can't win without a good big man. Well truth is you you can't win without a decent guard either.

Btw, Horace Grant is way too underrated on those early 90's Bulls teams. And Rodman, while not big, had a big game. He at the very least solved the Bulls rebounding problems.

If that's the case, every team in NBA history has a point guard. And centers, power forwards and shooting guards.

To the point of the thread, though--the Heat aren't the only team--championship calibre or otherwise--in NBA history with a good big man. My point about the 90s Bulls, they had big bodies, but not very good big men. They had decent bigs in Cartwright (early on, he was good with the Bulls, but injuries and age took its toll) and Longley, but that's about it. The rest were big bodies to use fouls with, hit a few shots and rebound.

Agreed on Grant and Rodman, though. I knew the Bulls were winning it all when we traded for him in 1995.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SavageMode
    Only Shaq, Lebron and MJ go against OPs theory.
    Firstly Shaq is a big man, LeBron cannot win without one, and MJ had Rodman and Horace Grant

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Black and White
    Firstly Shaq is a big man, LeBron cannot win without one, and MJ had Rodman and Horace Grant
    Bosh isn't really a great rim protector if you're referring to him.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsFanNumero1
    Bosh isn't really a great rim protector if you're referring to him.
    He is still a big man, and he isn't the best defender but he held his own, I don't think the Heat would have won if you replaced him with a scrub.

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    If that's the case, every team in NBA history has a point guard. And centers, power forwards and shooting guards.

To the point of the thread, though--the Heat aren't the only team--championship calibre or otherwise--in NBA history with a good big man. My point about the 90s Bulls, they had big bodies, but not very good big men. They had decent bigs in Cartwright (early on, he was good with the Bulls, but injuries and age took its toll) and Longley, but that's about it. The rest were big bodies to use fouls with, hit a few shots and rebound.

Agreed on Grant and Rodman, though. I knew the Bulls were winning it all when we traded for him in 1995.
    Well, a big man's job is to protect the paint and grab rebounds. It's obvious that without someone to grab rebounds and protect the paint it's gonna be hard to win.

It's basically saying you can't win without a shooting guard that can shoot.

I just didn't think this was thread worthy lol. I do agree with you though, the Bulls were not stacked in the front court.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Black and White
    He is still a big man, and he isn't the best defender but he held his own, I don't think the Heat would have won if you replaced him with a scrub.
    Yes but OP said a "legitimate big man that can protect the rim", which Bosh is not.