Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Decent college freshman theaussieguy's Avatar

Default Re: The general consensus is that Duncan is better all time than Kobe right?

Quote Originally Posted by JT123
    For the non retarded yes. Duncan is still capable of contributing to a championship level team because he actually has SKILL.
    Kobe on the other hand become completely worthless once he lost his athleticism after 2013. I guess that's the price he pays for all those years of going to Germany for illegal blood doping procedures.
    I agree with you for the most part, but blood doping isn't just a one off thing, it has to be done prior to everyday you perform.

NBA Superstar

Default Re: The general consensus is that Duncan is better all time than Kobe right?

Not the general consensus, but probably 60-65% would rank Duncan ahead.

It's pretty neck and neck honestly, even in the playoffs when it comes to who won more series vs the other, Kobe is just barely ahead. Still, in any all time list, you cant go wrong putting Kobe at 9 and Duncan at 10, or the other way around. They are right there.

Quote Originally Posted by ISHGoat
    Among super casuals, people like the HR lady at work, my dad, randoms, Kobe is the better player because he is the more popular player. Playing in LA and being hyped and an attention-seeker his whole career has done that for him.

Amongst basketball fans and anyone with knowledge of the game, Duncan is the better player, had the better career, and it isn't close.

It doesn't get any closer than Kobe-Duncan comparison....stop with the bullshit. You should of started that paragraph with "amongst the biased basketball fans".

Compare either to Lebron and it isn't even close, sure, both players are superior to Lebron. But it's not like Duncan beat Kobe everytime they met up, in actuality, Kobe has more wins vs Duncan than the other way around, both regular season and playoffs.

Yes.

And if there was a draft or starting a franchise, I think most would pick Duncan (if your goal was winning and not selling jerseys).

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    Yes.

And if there was a draft or starting a franchise, I think most would pick Duncan (if your goal was winning and not selling jerseys).
    What the ****, they have the same number of titles moron. What a dumbass statement.

Can we stop acting like Kobe does not have 5 titles? I mean really. And all his titles came in his (long) prime, not as a role player to Kawhi Leonard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
    What the ****, they have the same number of titles moron. What a dumbass statement.

Can we stop acting like Kobe does not have 5 titles? I mean really. And all his titles came in his (long) prime, not as a role player to Kawhi Leonard.
    WINNING - did I say titles? Duncan is still winning - might not win a title this year but contributing to wins. Duncan has won more than Kobe - more GAMES, more MVPs, more FMVPs, more All-Defensive honors (maybe another this year).

2013-14 Regular Season
    Duncan 15.1 pts 9.7 rebs 3 asst 1.9 blks
    Leonard 12.8 pts 6.2 rebs 2 asst 1.7 stl

2014 Playoffs
    Duncan 16.3 pts 9.2 rebs 2 asst 1.3 blks
    Leonard 14.3 pts 6.7 rebs 1.7 asst 1.7 stl

If Duncan was a role player in 2013-14, then Leonard was even more so.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine80s
    That might be true but

In the picture below, weakside 3-point shooters (spacing) have drawn defenders away from the strongside.. If Joakim Noah doesn't leave #20 Mozgov and flood to the strongside, the strongside will only have 2 defenders to contest Lebron.

Otoh, the 80's and 90's didn't shoot 3-pointers like today's game - those eras didn't have shooters on the weakside (spacing) drawing defenders away from the strongside, so the strongside was already flooded with all 5 defenders.. With all 5 defenders on the strongside and multiple defenders already standing where Joakim Noah flooded to, floods weren't necessary:

Ultimately, spacing causes today's defenders to make extra rotations.. But without that spacing (previous eras), defenders were already in closer proximity and the rotations weren't necessary.

Spacing and defensive movement offset each other, which is why league-wide offensive rating (the stat measuring how hard it is to score) has been stable for 30 years.. Excluding a brief downswing from 1999-2004, ORtg has ranged between 105-108 since 1980, including an all-time high of 108.3 in 2009.. The minor shifts within that 105-108 range are due to style of play differences between the eras that affect inputs to the ORtg calculation, such as offensive rebounding rate and FT rate.

30 years of stable ORtg proves the difficulty of scoring hasn't changed, and the changes in offensive strategy (spacing) and defensive strategy (extra rotations) are offsetting - you either have extra rotations required by spacing and defensive 3 seconds (today's game), or the rotations aren't necessary because there is no spacing or defensive 3 seconds (previous eras).

WINNING - did I say titles? Duncan is still winning - might not win a title this year but contributing to wins. Duncan has won more than Kobe - more GAMES, more MVPs, more FMVPs, more All-Defensive honors (maybe another this year).

2013-14 Regular Season
    Duncan 15.1 pts 9.7 rebs 3 asst 1.9 blks
    Leonard 12.8 pts 6.2 rebs 2 asst 1.7 stl

2014 Playoffs
    Duncan 16.3 pts 9.2 rebs 2 asst 1.3 blks
    Leonard 14.3 pts 6.7 rebs 1.7 asst 1.7 stl

If Duncan was a role player in 2013-14, then Leonard was even more so.
    If Kobe was a "role player" in the 01' and 02' playoffs then clearly Duncan was in 13-14 so get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime2001
    If Kobe was a "role player" in the 01' and 02' playoffs then clearly Duncan was in 13-14 so get over it.
    I said nothing about Kobe being a role player in 01 and 02.

I said nothing about Kobe being a role player in 01 and 02.
    No you did not I'm just going by ISH logic.

No you did not I'm just going by ISH logic.
    you sound like a woman abused in a marriage stfu

Quote Originally Posted by AirBonner
    you sound like a woman abused in a marriage stfu
    Kobe stans are sensitive as fck. It's cause deep down they know Kobe's ring count is inflated

Quote Originally Posted by AirBonner
    I sound like a woman abused in a marriage I should stfu
    I agree

I agree

cringe.