Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is Curry really the GOAT shooter?

Like, I can see him being up there off-the-dribble, but overall? Steve Nash and Kyle Korver both have cases over him. And they're not the only ones.

College superstar

Default Re: Is Curry really the GOAT shooter?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketswin2013
    Like, I can see him being up there off-the-dribble, but overall? Steve Nash and Kyle Korver both have cases over him. And they're not the only ones.
    Steve Nash is probably the GOAT off-the-dribble shooter. May even be the most accurate shooter of all time.

But Curry gets the nod when you factor in his incredible volume.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

You are suffering from what is called butt-hurt syndrome. AMC has torched your shitty team so hard that you feel some type of way and can't think rationally

Or you are just racist

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    Steve Nash is probably the GOAT off-the-dribble shooter. May even be the most accurate shooter of all time.

But Curry gets the nod when you factor in his incredible volume.
    What about Korver?

Yes

Good High School Starter Out_In_Utah's Avatar

It isn't unanimous, but he probably has the strongest case.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

What about Korver?

Korver averaged 11 points this post season while shooting .355 from 3

Curry averaging 29.4 points this post season while shooting .449 from 3

Who do you think is the better shooter?

College superstar

What about Korver?
    His body of work is laughable compared to Nash, much less Curry.

You'd have a better argument with Kerr than Korver. Not to mention Miller, Allen, Bird, Durant, Price...

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    His body of work is laughable compared to Nash, much less Curry.

You'd have a better argument with Kerr than Korver. Not to mention Miller, Allen, Bird, Durant, Price...
    Korver just shot nearly 50% from 3 on 6 attempts this season... Laughable? C'mon.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    Korver averaged 11 points this post season while shooting .355 from 3

Curry averaging 29.4 points this post season while shooting .449 from 3

Who do you think is the better shooter?
    That is Currys first time shooting 40% or higher in the playoffs. Korver has done much better.

College superstar

Let's break down the different types of ways to take a 3:

1. Pull up - Curry's quick release allows him to be a better pull up 3 point shooter than Nash and Korver.

2. Set shot - I have no idea about percentages, but I'll just give this one to Korver and Nash but throw in that Curry's gotta be close.

3. Transition - Curry's transition 3 has almost become a layup. The only way Korver or Nash take a transition 3 is if it's kicked out to them.

4. Off-ball movement - Curry's ability to get free off of screens is amazing considering how good he is WITH the ball. He's right there with Korver in terms of off-ball movement and he's definitely ahead of Nash.

5. Off the dribble - No contest, the distance between Curry and Nash/Korver would be like pitting a cheetah against Usain Bolt in a sprint. Different breed.

6. Range - Curry's got insane range and he takes these 3's consistently. Nash and Korver definitely don't take these shots.

I really can't think of any more categories of 3's to compare them and Curry is the only shooter of the 3 that can do all of them at a high level. He has the percentages and volume to back it up. He's also the best of the 3 in 4/6 of the categories.

I really don't think it can be argued that he's the single greatest shooter in the history of the NBA.

College superstar

That is Currys first time shooting 40% or higher in the playoffs. Korver has done much better.
    I like how you just look at percentages and completely ignore the degree of difficulty in Curry's shots vs Korver's.

College superstar

Curry drains pull up 30 footers like they're normal shots. Older players have comparable efficiency but much lower volume because back then three point shooting was seen as a gimmick or a niche strategy. Imagine if Curry only took 2-3 threes a game.
    Last edited by stephanieg; 05-26-2015 at 04:37 PM.

Korver just shot nearly 50% from 3 on 6 attempts this season... Laughable? C'mon.
    People gotta stop thinking (overall) shooting is just about 3pt-shooting.

Korver, to me, can't be mentioned amongst the VERY BEST shooters ever, he doesn't have the volume, not enough post-season production, can't create his own shot like some other dudes, never ever averaged over 15 PPG... He's one of the best shooters ever - especially pure shooter, but just can't be mentioned with the likes of Curry, Bird, Dirk, Nash, Allen, Miller, Durant, Ellis... imho.

Talking about peaks, I'd say Curry has a great case for GOAT shooter, he has the volume and productivity, can create his own shot (beast off the dribble), makes some ridiculous shots time and time again, can do it in many ways from many places... But it gets very hard to name just one, and it's very subjective... So I couldn't definitely say it's him.

The GOAT 3PT shooter. Overall GOAT shooter is hard to call. He isn't the GOAT FT shooter and surely he doesn't have the best fadeaway or pull-up mid-range J, those things come into account when you talk about shooting, the whole package.

However, no one in NBA history has shot threes at that high of a volume, and his shooting efficiency is up there with the best of them. That's what makes him the GOAT 3PT shooter to me.

Who else could create and knock down as many 3s as Curry can off the dribble? Plus he's money coming off screens.

It's not just his shooting ability, but his speed and the release, it's impossible to guard. Dude has 70 made threes in the Playoffs in 14 games, he has more made 3pt shots than shots within the arc, and he's averaging 29 points a game, more than half of his points come off threes, making 5 a game at a 44,9% clip, that's insane.