Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Tolerant Liberals

Default Re: How dirty is Matthew Dellavedova? Curry should be careful

it happening twice is suspect, but it looks like in both he is just playing hard and going for the loose ball.

in the horford one, horford was dragging him down

NBA Superstar

The leg lock on Gibson was clearly illegal on Dellavedova's part. I hesitate to call it dirty because it kind of depends upon one's interpretation of dirty (some suggest dirty means "trying to injure" and I don't think he was). I don't think the leg lock was hurting Gibson, it was just him doing something illegal and not getting caught during the game.

The Korver play was the right basketball play. He lost control of the ball and it was a race to the rock between he and Korver. Whoever hit the deck was going to get the ball. Players can't really say to themselves "Welp, I need to dive to get this ball but if I dive, someone might get in the way so maybe I shouldn't." It was bad luck for Korver but not intentional.

On the Horford play, Dellavedova was being held and dragged down by Horford for the first portion of the play. It looked like Dellavedova didn't fight hitting the floor on this one - he may have even let himself fall, but he wasn't diving at anyone's feet.

Good High School Starter Bernkastel's Avatar

He's practicing the ankle breaking technique.

NBA Finals

The leg lock was cheesy .

The Kyle Korver play was simply a utility player hustling for a loose ball.

This play looked like Al Horford and Matthew were both going for the rebound, Delly was then pulled down and had no center of gravity... since he was already falling backwards it only makes sense that he falls close to Horford's leg.

I dont think Horfor deserved anything either. He jumped out of the way and braced for impact.

Quote Originally Posted by asd
    On a 50/50 ball, when players of opposing teams want the ball badly enough, that can definitely happen. Get out of here w/that 'sh*t doesn't happen' garbage. It happens all the time.
    guys run head first into each other? No, that shit does not "happen all the time." Its just silly to pretend it does.

btw...for those mad at Delladova, if he didnt hustle like this he prob wpuldn't be in the league. Just saying...let him live

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    The leg lock on Gibson was clearly illegal on Dellavedova's part. I hesitate to call it dirty because it kind of depends upon one's interpretation of dirty (some suggest dirty means "trying to injure" and I don't think he was). I don't think the leg lock was hurting Gibson, it was just him doing something illegal and not getting caught during the game.

The Korver play was the right basketball play. He lost control of the ball and it was a race to the rock between he and Korver. Whoever hit the deck was going to get the ball. Players can't really say to themselves "Welp, I need to dive to get this ball but if I dive, someone might get in the way so maybe I shouldn't." It was bad luck for Korver but not intentional.

On the Horford play, Dellavedova was being held and dragged down by Horford for the first portion of the play. It looked like Dellavedova didn't fight hitting the floor on this one - he may have even let himself fall, but he wasn't diving at anyone's feet.
    I think the fact that we can cite 3 instances, right as he's getting more time on the court, this easily makes it suspect.

I don't think he's dirty or trying to hurt anyone, but he is also trying to be annoyingly physical and that includes diving towards people's legs. I think Horford should have landed the elbow on him. If a guy is going to continuously dive towards my (or my teammates ankles/knees) someone has to send a message, a real message.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Ridiculous.

Delly is an irritant, no doubt. That's what the Gibson thing was. He was just trying to annoy him and it worked. There have been a lot of guys like that in the league over the years.

Delly isn't going to get by on his athletic talent. He needs to outwork everyone and try to get on more talented players' nerves with his effort.

However, the idea that either the Korver play or that Horford play was somehow done with the intent of injuring their knees? Give me a break. He lost control of the ball and dove after it... Korver just happened to be standing there. I don't even think he saw him.

On the one tonight, he was battling a much bigger guy for a loose ball, they got tangled up and he dove to try to keep him from getting the ball.

There was no malicious intent on either of those plays.

I didn't hear these guys debating this much when Love's f#cking arm was yanked out of socket. It was immediately shoved aside as accidental.

Delly falls down a couple times and all of a sudden he's a villain... GTFO.

"Win if you can, lose is you must, but ALWAYS cheat! - Matthew Flair

Tolerant Liberals

Quote Originally Posted by ThickassGlasses
    I think the fact that we can cite 3 instances, right as he's getting more time on the court, this easily makes it suspect.

I don't think he's dirty or trying to hurt anyone, but he is also trying to be annoyingly physical and that includes diving towards people's legs. I think Horford should have landed the elbow on him. If a guy is going to continuously dive towards my (or my teammates ankles/knees) someone has to send a message, a real message.
    hes not really diving for anyones legs, hes going after the ball, and in the first case, diving for it. he got dragged by horford

The ISH'ers Champion!

They better knock that lil b1tch out with a role player after blowing the Cavs out.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by ISHGoat
    hes not really diving for anyones legs, hes going after the ball, and in the first case, diving for it. he got dragged by horford
    So how many more people need to be injured during a basketball play, I'm not disagreeing on that, by him before you consider it's possible he does it on purpose?

NBA Superstar

I respectfully disagree. The Gibson leg lock was illegal and absolutely should not have resulted in the ejection of Gibson. I think that's completely separate from the other two situations, since I found the other two to be circumstantial more than anything else.

I do not think he's trying to dive at people's legs. I carved out a large part of my own insignificant career by diving on any and all loose balls. Many times, it was only me diving. Other times, it was 50/50 balls where the person who dived first (or most willing to give up the body) was the one who was going to end up with the rock. In some cases, the non-diver would be hit too. It was never intentional, it just happened. I can't not dive if it's the right thing to do.

And the Horford play, Dellevadova was being grabbed and pulled to the ground to begin with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmznHPMBwss#t=0m43s

Again, the Gibson play was Dellevadova trying to get away with something. The other two plays were things that just happened through play. I really think Miller's off base here.

So how many more people need to be injured during a basketball play, I'm not disagreeing on that, by him before you consider it's possible he does it on purpose?
    I think it's similar to closing out on a 3-point shooter. If it turns out a defender is undoubtedly and purposely placing their feet under a shooter, that's one thing. Otherwise, the accidental ankle sprains in those situations is something that's just always going to be a possibility.

How often have diving players resulted in sprained ankles of opponents lately? I don't know, but it's something that will just happen sometimes. But if it ends up being something that someone is clearly trying to do, that's when it becomes a problem. In this case, I see virtually no hint that Dellevadova's non-Gibson plays had any intent.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 05-24-2015 at 10:04 PM.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    guys run head first into each other? No, that shit does not "happen all the time."

Collisions, in general.

I was initially mad that he didn't stop going for the ball when he saw that I was going for it, and he was mad at me for the same reason, but when you're competing hard, like in Dellavedova's case, you just want to grab the loose ball and can suffer a lapse in judgment.

Dellavedova is related to Tonya Harding.

Who will Dellavedova take out next?