Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default When did free speech become a bad thing?

What happened that caused lefties all over the world in recent times to be so against freedom of speech and so pro-censorship, specifically artistic censorship?

I was always raised to believe that freedom of speech and expression were some of America's most important values, and one of the things that separated us from the rest of the world.

I have noticed since about 5-6 years ago that suddenly people who self identify as liberal started suddenly trying to censor things and ideas they didn't like, as well as curb freedom of speech. They even use Newspeak tactics like "safe spaces" and "trigger words" and "identity politics" as justification to silence and censor people.

Here is a recent example of a liberal Daily Show producer trying to censor and silence a reporter who is filming them trying to exploit a gay man.

http://www.breitbart.com/california/...reitbart-news/

It is a rising problem and I never remember the pro-censorship anti-freedom of speech contingent being this large in America when I was growing up.

What happened?

NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: When did free speech become a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    What happened that caused lefties all over the world in recent times to be so against freedom of speech and so pro-censorship, specifically artistic censorship?

I was always raised to believe that freedom of speech and expression were some of America's most important values, and one of the things that separated us from the rest of the world.

I have noticed since about 5-6 years ago that suddenly people who self identify as liberal started suddenly trying to censor things and ideas they didn't like, as well as curb freedom of speech. They even use Newspeak tactics like "safe spaces" and "trigger words" and "identity politics" as justification to silence and censor people.

Here is a recent example of a liberal Daily Show producer trying to censor and silence a reporter who is filming them trying to exploit a gay man.

http://www.breitbart.com/california/...reitbart-news/

It is a rising problem and I never remember the pro-censorship anti-freedom of speech contingent being this large in America when I was growing up.

What happened?
    Progressives don't value free speech.

Of course they'll give you the whole spiel about how freedom of speech only protects you from persecution by the government. While that is technically true, the libs don't really respect the idea of freedom of speech. Not only that, but they have no respect for Freedom of association either. If you don't want to be part of the groups or people that they think you should.... Well, they turn to the same tactics they claim to hate. Such as shaming.
    Last edited by Hotlantadude81; 07-20-2016 at 01:02 PM.

Local High School Star west_tip's Avatar

It's actually a fascinating phenomenon, I'm not sure when exactly liberals went from being relatively tolerant to essentially trying to suppress peoples opinions that they don't agree with and brand people racist or sexist in order to discredit them.

When I was in college in the 90's I certainly identified as a liberal but given ones natural predisposition for moving toward the center/right as you get older and have a family/mortgage combined with the authoritarian and dogmatic behavior of many liberals today I just cannot identify with them. It seems all too many of them are just useful idiots for globalists who care not one jot for humanity, only profits.

Right around the time we found out you could be offended by, literally, anything.

You could then claim to be offended over something trivial, put down anyone who doesn't agree that you should be offended over something so trivial, and then claim you're being discriminated against because ______ (fill in the blank).

Once people started to catch on, and figured out you could start GoFundMe's for emotional distress, it turned our country's definition of freedom of speech upside down.

"Let’s be honest - @realDonaldTrump is a loser. Count all his failed businesses. See how he cheated people w/ scams like Trump U.," Warren tweeted.
    Imagine if Trump had called Elizabeth Warren a loser... he'd be sexist, racist (doesn't she think she's a Native American? or is that the other chick), misogynist.. the list would go on and on.

Go back up to line 1 of this post.

1) Pretend to be offended
    2) Convince others you have a right to be offended
    3) Use the fact that you were pretend offended to tell someone they can't say that
    4) Move on to the next trivial word
    Last edited by UK2K; 07-20-2016 at 01:37 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    Right around the time we found out you could be offended by, literally, anything.

You could then claim to be offended over something trivial, put down anyone who doesn't agree that you should be offended over something so trivial, and then claim you're being discriminated against because ______ (fill in the blank).

Once people started to catch on, and figured out you could start GoFundMe's for emotional distress, it turned our country's definition of freedom of speech upside down.
    Those are the exact Big Brother tactics used 1984. It is amazing that lefties aren't able to recognize this. They either don't read books or they are completely lacking in self awareness.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Some of you don't understand what freedom of speech is...privately owned TV shows and internet sites can censor whatever the fck they want to.

You can use free speech to attack free speech.

Banned

Liberals and progressives are both different from another. Libs messed it sll up.

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    Some of you don't understand what freedom of speech is...privately owned TV shows and internet sites can censor whatever the fck they want to.
    Yeah, but these people want to implement all types of "hate speech" laws.

Yep, that's how it starts.

A major theme of Nineteen Eighty-Four is censorship, especially in the Ministry of Truth, where photographs are modified and public archives rewritten to rid them of "unpersons" (i.e., persons who have been arrested, whom the Party has decided to erase from history). On the telescreens figures for all types of production are grossly exaggerated (or simply invented) to indicate an ever-growing economy, when the reality is the opposite.
    Sounds like our government, doesn't it?

NBA lottery pick Long Duck Dong's Avatar

Not just that, they've started to push for things like racial segregation, racial preference/discrimination, purposely flooding the nation with cheap labor and hurting American worker's wages. All things they used to fight against.

The thing about the left, is you can't pin them down anymore with a particular set of purpose or ideals. They will fight against anything they think has become part of the establishment or mainstream/common sense thinking simply for the sake of change, and the chance to demonstrate for something...anything.

Banned

I am not just talking about what happens on privately owned TV shows and internet sites.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Long Duck Dong
    Not just that, they've started to push for things like racial segregation, racial preference/discrimination, purposely flooding the nation with cheap labor and hurting American worker's wages. All things they used to fight against.

The thing about the left, is you can't pin them down anymore with a particular set of purpose or ideals. They will fight against anything they think has become part of the establishment or mainstream/common sense thinking simply for the sake of change, and the chance to demonstrate for something...anything.
    I am glad that everyone is starting to realize how pro-segregation modern lefties in America have become.

It's extremely disturbing to me. 10 years ago BLM would have been universally condemned by both the left and right as the racist pro-segregationist hate movement that it is.

Nowadays you have about 50% of the country supporting that shit

Exactly.

Meanwhile, if Trump becomes President he wants to make it easier to sue news outlets.

[QUOTE]Donald Trump's latest threat against the media came Friday at a rally in Texas. Once elected president, Trump promised, he will "open up" federal libel laws to make it easier to sue news outlets like The Washington Post and New York Times

Local High School Star west_tip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Long Duck Dong
    Yes, I agree with you. There have been a number of black charter schools established in my local area and whilst I understand that they have been started for all the right reasons (to improve educational achievement amongst black kids, get them college ready and so) I can't help thinking that their establishment goes against the Brown v Board desegregation that people fought for. Furthermore I read an article a few months back that said a Congressional study found that our schools are now more segregated than in times past and to me that is a worrying trend.

It seems like we are becoming a more polarized, racially segregated society which is not good.