Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011
    College superstar

Default Re: Congrats NBA, you've lost yet another fan(warning long rant ahead)

Fatal9
    I wish these clowns would actually watch games from their golden era and realize how common 70+ FTA games were, how so many flagrants were "soft" in the 90s due to the bad boys era, and realize how many touch fouls were called amongst other things. And can someone PLEASE dig up footage of all the uncalled handchecking that went on last night (and goes on all the time in the playoffs?). The most physical era in the NBA was actually the 70s. And rules eliminated REAL, physical handchecking in '79:

[QUOTE]1978-79
    Clarification added to prohibit hand-checking through
    Last edited by Ne 1; 06-01-2011 at 02:41 AM.

@ everything about this post.

A shame this f*cking ******* is still here.

classic thread.

Magic Johnson

The same people calling for hard fouls and what not complained when Lamar Odom bumped Dirk, and shit themselves when Bynum tried to kill Barea.

College superstar

Fatal9
    The same BS complaints people have now, people had back then. I saw old timers from the 70s on half time segments making fun of how you couldn't guard Jordan because of all the favorable rules for him (isolation, lack of physicality etc). I'll gladly upload video of couple of them talking about this because I think I saved it somewhere.
    Here is actually a quote from a Wilt fan from the 90s.

Jordan has also received the benefit of rules changes that have been implemented to help offensive players, such as well-defined rules concerning zones, rules against hand checking, and flagrant fouls.
    Jordan has benefited from the joke that has become NBA officiating, in which superstars receive preferential treatment, and Jordan has probably received more than any player in history. The steps and the fouls he gets away with are ridiculous!
    You can go back and read any archives or usenet groups from back in the day and people are b[FONT="Arial"]i[/FONT]tching about the same stuff back in the 90s that they complain about today.

College superstar

When asked about Michael Jordan, Wilt said Jordan was a "period player" and went on to say that Jordan's drives and dunks would have had him thrown to the floor back in the 60s via players like Jim Loscutoff. Jordan's game is suited for today, where such hotdogging is allowed. Wilt pointed out that his offensive game depended on fade-aways, finger rolls, and hooks more than anything and that Jordan probably dunked the ball 3 or 4 times more in his career than Wilt did.

Wilt went on to say that Jordan is not the type of player that dominate
    a game defensively, such as Bill Russell and himself could. He went on to
    do say (after the interviewer asked him about Scottie Pippen) that
    Pippen was a better defensive player than Jordan.

When asked who the greatest player ever was, Wilt said that "greatest"
    is a subjective term, but he said that no player ever did the things
    that he did on a court. He said that in this sense, he would take Oscar
    Robertson 2nd to himself. No player influenced the rule book as much as Wilt. He was so dominant that they had to make up rules to try and contain him. No player has ever led the league in rebounding and assists (let alone
    the former and fg% and points). He said that he believes that not only
    was Oscar better than jordon, but also Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, and
    Walt Frazier.

The farter we get away from Jordan's retirement and away from the media hype, the more fairly we see the shortcomings of Jordan. Wilt pointed out how he was far more athletic than Jordan, and cited a 52" verticle leap (I believe Simon had asked
    about this before, and I told him it was from his days a
    Globetrotter)...yes, Children, Wilt was a 7'0" high jumper in college
    who won the Big 8 in the high jump his junior year. He pointed out how
    he was the fastest man in the NBA (yes children, Wilt also ran track),
    and how he was much stronger than Jordan. However, he pointed
    out, people don't want to acknowledge his speed or agility, but only the
    strength, because agility and athleticism aren't traits associated with
    "Goliath."

Wilt pointed out that he could shoot outside shots (very true, I have
    video footage of this -- and Red Holzman also said the same...see
    http://members.tripod.com/~airjudden/wilt/) and could bring the ball up
    court (I have video footage of him leading fast breaks in college), but
    in the pros that wasn't his job. He was smart enough to give the ball
    to Guy Rodgers, who was an EXCEPTIONAL ball handler. Players back then
    weren't into showcasing their individual talents because they had a
    better sense of team play and how to function as a team.