Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

Default Michael Jordan's Free Throw Line Dunk

I was watching some of the Slam Dunk contest clips with Jordan and I noticed that his foot was over the line when he attempted his Signature Free Throw Line Dunk. In fact, his heel was almost over the line as well. I never knew this. Or am I wrong? Did Jordan actually jump from behind the line in the other dunk contest or did he only do this dunk once? If not, then Ibaka should have been given a lot of credit for his dunk.

Decent college freshman

Default Re: Michael Jordan's Free Throw Line Dunk

Jordan did the freethrow line dunk three times in three contests, not very original

I rule the local playground Birmingham1955's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by no pun intended
    I was watching some of the Slam Dunk contest clips with Jordan and I noticed that his foot was over the line when he attempted his Signature Free Throw Line Dunk. In fact, his heel was almost over the line as well. I never knew this. Or am I wrong? Did Jordan actually jump from behind the line in the other dunk contest or did he only do this dunk once? If not, then Ibaka should have been given a lot of credit for his dunk.
    1985 MJ got his foot behind the line
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD54eF2XKJA

However, in the 87 and 88 free throw line dunk he was a little bit closer but was able to move the ball.

Keep in mind this is 88' so we had not see many of these dunks before. We didn't have access to youtube were we could see crazy streetballers dunking like Team Flight Brothers. I mean hell, even Vince Carter's dunks wouldn't rack up that many points in today's competition, let DeMar's inbetween the leg dunk was way better than Vince's and DeMar didn't get any points. etc.

Ibaka though should have had a higher score, he he was just a victim of us seeing the dunk done so many times.

If I remember correct, scottie pippen was one of a very few guys that was able to dunk from the ft line. Jordan and erving were just inside it.[HTML][/HTML]

The difference between Jordans dunk, albeit a step inside the line, and someone like Ibakas or Brent Barrys is evident in the picture. Look at Jordans body position and how he cocked the ball back by his ear. He didn't stretch out and barely eel the ball over the rim, he threw it down. Even though ibakas dunk was from behind the line, he barely got air. His feet barely left the ground. Artistically Jordans was superior

NBA rookie of the year Glide2keva's Avatar

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by no pun intended
    Jordan did at least 2 FT line dunks in the dunk contest - one in 1985, and one in 1987. The 1985 one was legit fully behind the line, but the 1987 one that you mention is the more famous one because he did the pump of the ball and flying motion in the air better. Also, MJ took off from behind the FT line during Magic's 1990 charity game dunk contest, and that was probably the furthest of all his attempts. Seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ZH3...333C7ECE8CF7EC

Not airballing my layups anymore

at posters who didn't bother to look at Birmingham1955's link and continued to say that Jordan never dunked from behind the FT line.

Banned

its not really a great dunk as much as it was an iconic poster

its about his pose more than the difficulty of the dunk

theres like 50 guys who can do this dunk that have played in the nba...

nothing special

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    Jordan did at least 2 FT line dunks in the dunk contest - one in 1985, and one in 1987. The 1985 one was legit fully behind the line, but the 1987 one that you mention is the more famous one because he did the pump of the ball and flying motion in the air better. Also, MJ took off from behind the FT line during Magic's 1990 charity game dunk contest, and that was probably the furthest of all his attempts. Seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ZH3...333C7ECE8CF7EC
    The most famous version was the 88 dunk in Chicago.

Great college starter 50inchvertical's Avatar

Nostalgia won't allow anybody to admit MJ might not have been the best ever at everything.

And that Jordan picture is misleading. He didn't dunk the ball with it held back like that, he just double pumped it. Impressive none the less, but totally different than what it's trying to imply.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    If I remember correct, scottie pippen was one of a very few guys that was able to dunk from the ft line. Jordan and erving were just inside it.[HTML][/HTML]
    I remember Pippen tried it but took off about a foot closer than the line...

The 85 one is NOT BEHIND THE LINE. You look at where the FRONT foot is and in that dunk the front foot is well AHEAD of the line.

He also jumped much HIGHER in the later ones.