Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: i wish more teams in the NBA played like Spain

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    i remember back in the late 90's.. there was allot of "clear out" plays

where the best isolation player on the team would tell the other 4 guys to all stand on the opposite side of the floor

because at the time you had to be within arms length of a defender. and if you left your man for more than a few seconds youd be called for illegal defense

its a shame they got rid of this before kobes prime

he woulda averaged 50+ in 06 instead of 35 lol
    It was an issue of who had the ball. If he had the ball you could double off someone all day. You couldnt do it off the ball.

It wouldnt help the Kobes, Lebron, Melos, and Pierces as much as the quick strike guys. It wouldnt benefit the guys who spend a while sizing up. Well it would...just not as much.

They could quadruple team you if you had the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    You just described 90s basketball.

Best of both worlds, diversity, whites / blacks, skills, intelligence, and athleticism all rolled into one. Role players. Not everyone wanting to be a superstar, because everyone can't be.

Ever since HS draftees, and AAU came to power in the late 90's, and early 2000s. Fundamentals, niche players, and unique playing styles fell by the waste side. Everything became cookie cutter.

Also you described the greatness of LeBron James at the start of your post. He's an insane athlete, one of the best ever, can score in isolation near with the best of them, but is a selfless passer who willingly tries to get others involved.

Good job on basically back firing all your agenda pushing myths. You just negated all of your trolling, attention seeking behavior on ISH.

Bullshit, 90s were more individualism centered.

Banned

Agreed. European basketball = the beautiful game.

I don't even watch Euroleague, but I do know it's full of a lot of fundamentally-sound, non-athletic white guys who play team ball Hopefully the Spurs recent success can usher in a new era of team ball in the NBA.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    It was an issue of who had the ball. If he had the ball you could double off someone all day. You couldnt do it off the ball.

It wouldnt help the Kobes, Lebron, Melos, and Pierces as much as the quick strike guys. It wouldnt benefit the guys who spend a while sizing up. Well it would...just not as much.

They could quadruple team you if you had the ball.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_history.html

1981-82
    • Zone defense rules clarified with new rules for Illegal Defensive Alignments.
    a. Weak side defenders may come in the pro lane (16’), but not in the college lane (12’) for more than three seconds.
    b. Defender on post player is allowed in defensive three-second area (A post player is any player adjacent to paint area).
    c. Player without ball may not be double-teamed from weak side.
    d. Offensive player above foul line and inside circle must be played by defender inside dotted line.
    e. If offensive player is above the top of the circle, defender must come to a position above foul line.
    f. Defender on cutter must follow the cutter, switch, or double-team the ball.
    • After the first illegal defense violation, the clock is reset to 24 seconds. All subsequent violations result in one free throw and possession of the ball. If any violation occurs during the last 24 seconds of each quarter or overtime period, the offended team receives one free throw.

2001-02
    • Illegal defense guidelines will be eliminated in their entirety.
    • A new defensive three-second rule will prohibit a defensive player from remaining in the lane for more than three consecutive seconds without closely guarding an offensive player.

defensive rules really favored the offense back in the day

this whole handchecking thing is nothing compared to the implementation of zone like defense in 2002