Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Switch 96-99 Karl Malone and 11-14 Bran

Quote Originally Posted by JT123
    Those 97 and 98 teams weren't even close to being unbeatable. That's that Jordan mythology coming into play. In the 97 Finals game 2 was the ONLY game that the Bulls won comfortably. Every other game came down to a few plays, and could have EASILY gone either way. In 98 the Jazz could have pushed the Bulls to a 7th game if Malone could have just held onto the ball, but I guess that is asking too much of a supposed all time great? I seriously doubt the Bulls win a game 7 in Utah, seeing as road teams almost never win game 7's in the Finals.
    Malone performed well below his season averages in both years, so I don't know how you can absolve him of blame.
    Russell's Celtics were pushed to the brink in similar ways many times. When two teams with near equal supporting casts meet up, the better, stronger willed alpha dog on a team wins the series 9/10 times. Despite the circumstances. I'm not absolving Malone of any guilt, but I'm not sure any other player would get them over the hill and most would receive the same flak Malone got, especially if they went ringless the rest of their career.

NBA lottery pick

Those 97 and 98 teams weren't even close to being unbeatable. That's that Jordan mythology coming into play. In the 97 Finals game 2 was the ONLY game that the Bulls won comfortably. Every other game came down to a few plays, and could have EASILY gone either way. In 98 the Jazz could have pushed the Bulls to a 7th game if Malone could have just held onto the ball, but I guess that is asking too much of a supposed all time great? I seriously doubt the Bulls win a game 7 in Utah, seeing as road teams almost never win game 7's in the Finals.
    Malone performed well below his season averages in both years, so I don't know how you can absolve him of blame.
    Instead of blaming Malone why don't you give credit to Rodman? Don't act like Bran wouldn't struggle in place of Malone.

Learning to shoot layups

To be fair, you have to remember Malone did have The Worm guarding him too

Quote Originally Posted by Ca$H
    Instead of blaming Malone why don't you give credit to Rodman? Don't act like Bran wouldn't struggle in place of Malone.
    Lebron might struggle against Rodman, we will never know. What we do know is that if Lebron struggled against Rodman he would be held accountable for it. Why is it that no one ever wants to hold Malone accountable for his failures? Even if you want to say Jordan and the Bulls were too much, the Jazz still had some very good teams for a few years after the Bulls broke up, and once again Malone went ghost in several key playoff games/moments. That is why I don't believe he would win any rings on the Heat in place of Lebron. Joke about how supposedly stacked the Heat were all you want, but they still needed several big playoff performances from Lebron to get their rings. Performances I NEVER saw from Malone.
    Last edited by JT123; 09-03-2014 at 11:42 PM.

Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar

The 1998 Bulls were FAR from unbeatable.

They were aging, bench was weaker (the 97' team had Brian Williams/Bison Dele who helped a lot), Rodman was showing his age and decline.

Barely made it past Indiana to get to the finals.

They were probably the weakest of their finals teams, even if they had better regular season records than the 91' and 93' teams.

Wade came on late in that Indiana series, but was god awful for the first 3.5 games. Have you forgotten about his 5 point game 3 performance?
    Despite Wade's incredible game 4 second half, the Heat still wouldn't have come close to winning that game without Bron's 40/18/9. The fact remains that Malone doesn't have a single signature playoff performance, so I have no reason to believe he would replicate Lebron's success.
    Wade put up 27/3/4/1/2 in the first two games.

LeBron might win 1-2 rings. Malone on the Heat? If they get past the Bulls in '11, the Heat win. No way in hell are the Heat winning against the Celtics in '12, the Pacers in '13, and Spurs in '14.

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987

LeBron might win 1-2 rings. Malone on the Heat? If they get past the Bulls in '11, the Heat win. No way in hell are the Heat winning against the Celtics in '12, the Pacers in '13, and Spurs in '14.
    I think he would get pass the Pacers.

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987

Why not? Those teams took Heat to the brink because Heat had no inside presence. Malone would fulfill that gap.
    I don't think they win in 14 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Genaro
    Why not? Those teams took Heat to the brink because Heat had no inside presence. Malone would fulfill that gap.
    I don't think they win in 14 though.
    Do you think Malone would drop 34/11/4/1/1 on 59% against the Celtics? LeBron's perimeter defense as well.

Quote Originally Posted by riseagainst
    I think he would get pass the Pacers.
    Not with Bosh playing like shit and Wade being injured. LeBron was hitting his jumpers that series he shot 44% of his 3's on 5 attempts a game.