Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Jordan playing with the Wizards: Good or bad for his legacy?

I don't think it affects his legacy at all. When you think of MJ, 99% of the time, any random person would remember him for his exploits with the Bulls. Not many talk about his Wizards days.

If anything, I think it helped his legacy, and just proved his love for the game to us. The level of play he was able to produce as well was still all-star level, and astonished some people.

The 'youtube' era we are currently in is a big help too, for the kids, or whoever else who wouldn't have seen Jordan play in his prime, and may have only seen him during his Wizards days. I'm sure there are still plenty of shows on TV with MJ in them, showcasing his talents in a Bulls uniform.

In a way, the MJ comeback kind of reminds me of the comeback Michael Schumacher has made to Formula One this season. Arguably the greatest driver of all time, who has won 7 World Championships, who retired in 2006. Decided to come back to F1 in 2010, as a 41 year old who hasn't driven a race car in anger since 06, potentially putting his reputation on the line, simply because he loves the sport, and missed it. (Granted, the

Banned

Solid Snake?

Jordan proved he had the tools to dominate during the mid 80's & 90's, the "toughest era in basketball". I don't need to watch a watered down MJ in the 00's as further proof that he had the tools to beast in todays league and against todays players during his prime.

ukballer hit the jackpot on the Schumi comparison, was about to post that.

Just like the MJ homers, everytime Schumi races this year, I always hope that he doesnt get embarassed or get overtaked by someone, though sadly....that already happened a lot of times this season, but im looking forward for the next season when he actually has a good car.

I personally think it was good for MJ. Definitely like that idea of putting a Legends game in the All-star Weekend (though it must be ones retired within 8 years, i'm sure nobody wanna see 60-70 year olds playing out there)

But I found a clip in Youtube recently....he still has that J and was schooling a Slamball player.

For those of you interested in Jordans two years playing for Washington you should go read When Nothing Else Matters by Michael Leahy. Its a good read, it's not just a Jordan book, it's got stuff about the entire Washington team throughout the two years Jordan was playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake
    Just going off memory, he seemed better in 02-03 than in 01-02. Just seemed more efficient for some reason. He scored less but at a higher FG%.

Just my thoughts on this, but I just remember the general feeling watching him, there was always this anxious feeling I had hoping he wouldn't be embarrased. Anytime he isolated, I was praying he wouldn't get ripped. Anytime he would pump fake and go for a fadeaway, I felt like there was a better chance of it being blocked than going in. And oh god, everytime he went for a dunk, just painful to watch knowing there was a 28% chance he would botch the dunk.

My number one favorite memory? When he absolutely raped mercer on that snatch the ball from the air block he had.

My second favorite is less dynamic, but it's the image of Jordan diving on the ground for the loose ball, as Bill Walton lamented about how none of the other players are playing as hard, as we have this 40 year old diving on the floor. I also distinctly remember Jordan hitting his chin on the hardwood on that dive, seeming unphased by it, but only after the play was over and the ball secure, did he show how painful that was, as he reacted and you could see him wincing in pain. Only after he got the ball back for his team though.

The thing I want to know the most? The cover up with the Ron Artest story. WTF happened here? What a perfect builtin excuse. So fight for a rebound, Artest accidentally dropped Jordan to the ground. Broken ribs. Right. Also I bet no one remembers how there was a gag order Jordan placed on the participants of his unofficial "training camp" when he was originally getting in shape, something to do with how he was playing, etc.
    Supposedly the gag order was put in when Jordan was still deciding if he would be coming back or not. Knowing what we know now I figure he pretty much knew he was coming back but didn't want reports on how serious he was about it or the condition he was in leaking (remember he looked a little pudgy the previous year working as an exec for the Wiz).

And from what I remember the story with Artest was during a summer game while MJ was training with several NBAers Ron broke his ribs. If I remember correctly this stopped all the media speculation on a MJ comeback for that summer, until Jordan was ready to announce he was coming back.

College star

his legacy was set in stone after the 98 season, he cud have averaged 5 ppg as a wizard he would still be the GOAT.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

It hurt his legacy. Not because it made him a worse player, what he did as a Bull is amazing. There is a minority that may say Wilt or Kareem was better but he is still regarded by the majority as GOAT. No, it hurt his legacy because it let people see him go out there and perform as a non-MVP candidate, indeed a not-top ten player. Which in turn lead to people saying he "made a mistake," and "hurt his legacy." Sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy, because the perception, when it comes to something like a legacy, is the reality.

But on the bright side, his Wizards stint was forgettable. ESPN certainly doesn't mention it often and as it's discussed and thought of less it's effect on people's perceptions diminishes. If you look at football, no one thinks of Montana as a Chief and Favre's stint with the Jets is already almost forgotten. Going back to basketball, when you think of Karl Malone you probably don't think of the Lakers, or Nique as a Celtic. MJ's time as a Wizard is more like a weird dream we're not sure we had than anything else.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalD24
    It's funny how some Jordan fans use his best games as a 39-40 year old playing for the Wizards as proof that he would dominate in this era.. yet he doesn't even come close to 50% FG for the season (along with terrible 3pt shooting).. Got to love the hypocrisy there.

And just for the record, I know Jordan would be dominant in any era.
    As opposed to Kobe fans using Kobe's best games while ignoring all of his bad ones?

Or Kobe fans somehow forgetting Kobe's career fg%, specially after he scores big points?

You Kobe stans never seem to let me down.

Btw.... this also proves that the 'zone' forcing players into becoming 3pt shooters and keeping players from posting up is a lie created to protect Kobe's bad decision making.

As far as MJ's legacy..... I think it proved that even tho he was past his prime, he could still play against today's modern day uber athletic players, and against the modern day advanced defense.

Its actually very scary to think what he'd do if he was in his prime.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    As opposed to Kobe fans using Kobe's best games while ignoring all of his bad ones?

Or Kobe fans somehow forgetting Kobe's career fg%, specially after he scores big points?

You Kobe stans never seem to let me down.

Btw.... this also proves that the 'zone' forcing players into becoming 3pt shooters and keeping players from posting up is a lie created to protect Kobe's bad decision making.

As far as MJ's legacy..... I think it proved that even tho he was past his prime, he could still play against today's modern day uber athletic players, and against the modern day advanced defense.

Its actually very scary to think what he'd do if he was in his prime.
    Yep.. Kobe stans are pathetic. But not as much as you hypocritical Jordan stans.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalD24
    Yep.. Kobe stans are pathetic. But not as much as you hypocritical Jordan stans.
    MJ is what Kobe and his fans wish he was, it aint hypocritical when you're THE one and one supports THE one.

Almost nothing could tarnish Jordan's legacy.
    The Wizards era only hurt it in the tiniest way.

Doesn't matter, the sportsworld just buries it along with the rest of Jordan's faults.

Serious playground baller WildStyle's Avatar

He should have stayed one more season and schooled LeBron and Wade.

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake
    Just going off memory, he seemed better in 02-03 than in 01-02. Just seemed more efficient for some reason. He scored less but at a higher FG%.

Just my thoughts on this, but I just remember the general feeling watching him, there was always this anxious feeling I had hoping he wouldn't be embarrased. Anytime he isolated, I was praying he wouldn't get ripped. Anytime he would pump fake and go for a fadeaway, I felt like there was a better chance of it being blocked than going in. And oh god, everytime he went for a dunk, just painful to watch knowing there was a 28% chance he would botch the dunk.

My number one favorite memory? When he absolutely raped mercer on that snatch the ball from the air block he had.

My second favorite is less dynamic, but it's the image of Jordan diving on the ground for the loose ball, as Bill Walton lamented about how none of the other players are playing as hard, as we have this 40 year old diving on the floor. I also distinctly remember Jordan hitting his chin on the hardwood on that dive, seeming unphased by it, but only after the play was over and the ball secure, did he show how painful that was, as he reacted and you could see him wincing in pain. Only after he got the ball back for his team though.

The thing I want to know the most? The cover up with the Ron Artest story. WTF happened here? What a perfect builtin excuse. So fight for a rebound, Artest accidentally dropped Jordan to the ground. Broken ribs. Right. Also I bet no one remembers how there was a gag order [COLOR="Red"]Jordan placed on the participants of his unofficial "training camp" when he was originally getting in shape, something to do with how he was playing, etc[/COLOR].
    It had nothing to do with the way he was playing, because it was said he was killing people....a story believed to be true

It's being said that Jordan was in full trash-talk mode that day. He had been telling Antoine Walker of the Celtics to count on four losses to the Wizards next season, and he was hitting jump shots in the face of Artest and taunting Artest about his time with the Bulls and was getting personal. The story is that Artest stayed back in the lane, and then when Jordan came in the next time, Artest grabbed him and slammed him to the floor. That's supposedly when the ribs were broken.

Artest is also said to have thrown a punch at Jordan afterward. Word is the participants were sworn to secrecy or wouldn't be allowed back in the private gym near Jordan's West Side restaurant. Who knows if it's true, but it certainly sounds more realistic than the story Jordan has been telling.

Ron even made a comment on how he wished it never happened, because it prevented MJ from coming back and that he would have been dropping 50

He went on to say that he'd have loved to have played against MJ in his prime (and that Jordan shared the sentiment), conjecturing that His Airness would've "given" the Artest still known as Artest 50 points. Odd how a defensive player would see a high scoring endeavor from his cover as a gift

Man I thought what he did was incredible at age 39-40 after a three year layoff. For me it cements that in his prime he would have been even more dominant in today's era, less physical abuse, changes in rules, would have just enhanced his play imo(No I'm not in the 40ppg club, bu I think he would have avg 3-4 more points a game with ease)..........personally though I thought he should have just stayed away.....last minute of play...... key lay-up to get it within 1, key steal, game winner......what a perfect script to end your career on.
    Last edited by Calabis; 10-02-2010 at 12:17 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    MJ is what Kobe and his fans wish he was, it aint hypocritical when you're THE one and one supports THE one.
    Incorrect and incoherent as usual.

MJ fans wish they were MJ. And yes you stans are definite hypocrites.