Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast
    I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Default Re: Biggest freaks of nature in NBA history

Quote Originally Posted by XxNeXuSxX
    Hakeem was a much better one on one post player, that's a given. But Robinson was MUCH stronger, MUCH more athletic, and a LOT faster. That's really not debatable. Hakeem might have had "quicker" post moves and been more effective, but that's not the question.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBrEsNS9zKg

Quote Originally Posted by OutOfPlace
    So you showed Hakeem is athletic, awesome. I knew this after watching the 90s. I'm saying David Robinson, a legit 7'0, is a top 5 Freak athlete ever.

^Robinson could only jump and move as quickly as Hakeem in his dreams. Oh, and both Shaq and Moses Malone said that Hakeem was the strongest player they had ever faced.

Saw a basketball once

^Robinson could only jump and move as quickly as Hakeem in his dreams. Oh, and both Shaq and Moses Malone said that Hakeem was the strongest player they had ever faced.
    I could have sworn that Shaq said that Sabonis was the strongest player he ever faced. And didn't Moses Malone play against Artis Gilmore? He was definitely stronger then Hakeem. The Dream's game was more finesse, and less power.

Hakeem the strongest player ever? Uh, I don't think so. His game was based on a diverse game of unpredictable plethora of post moves, he was never known for bowling over defenders. I mean a simple picture could tell you he's nowhere the near the strength of Karl or Drob.

^Robinson could only jump and move as quickly as Hakeem in his dreams.
    I don't ever remember this, could you provide a link?

Keep in mind Hakeem is 6'9...

Well, Shaq and Malone BOTH said that Hakeem was the strongest guy they had ever went up against. That has to count for something. If you look at his physique, he had MUCH stronger legs than DRob. Oh yeah, and Hakeem was a legit 6'10, shorter than DRob, but he might have had a longer wingspan. Watch the video in the link I provided earlier for an example of how athletic/quick Olajuwon was.

NBA rookie of the year

I don't ever remember this, could you provide a link?

Keep in mind Hakeem is 6'9...
    What are you talking about Hakeem is a little over 6'10" without shoes which is pretty much average size for a center. Short compared to 7'0" Robinson or 7'1" Shaq but still big.

Quote Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
    What are you talking about Hakeem is a little over 6'10" without shoes which is pretty much average size for a center. Short compared to 7'0" Robinson or 7'1" Shaq but still big.
    I went on something I heard from Marv Albert, okay 6'10, not 6'9 (Was that worth correcting?). The point was it's not unusual for the smaller center to be "quicker" in the post.

Well, Shaq and Malone BOTH said that Hakeem was the strongest guy they had ever went up against.
    Okay I'd definitely like to see a quote of this, but it seems pretty simple to me that these two fellows were easily stronger than Hakeem. I mean quite easily. I can't find a photo of legs, but I'm pretty sure Drob and malone were much better built there as well. Someone told me Malone had an insane squat.

NBA rookie of the year

I went on something I heard from Marv Albert, okay 6'10, not 6'9 (Was that worth correcting?). The point was it's not unusual for the smaller center to be "quicker" in the post.
    Hakeem really isn't that small. He is almost 7 feet in shoes and most NBA Heights are in shoes but if you are talking quick freaks of nature then how about KG. He is almost 7 feet without shoes and as quick as any big man I've seen. Or how about Shaq who is a legit 7'1", 330 pounds and fast as hell for a big man.

Shaq's quickness
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=3P0j9IZItSI

http://youtube.com/watch?v=R6vmwGwlq1Q

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wL6CYWJcx_I

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6pqww6GBHcE

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bq63G0DUYh8

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Knine
    I definitely think that Jordan has to be in this discussion. His hang time and aerial acrobatics popularized the NBA. Vince should be in this. Dwight Howard and Lebron I mos def agree with.
    +1

Saw a basketball once

Good thread.

Interesting views some people are putting forth, a lot of them I find ridiculous.

Ive seen a post or two talking about Vince Carter and Shaq being able to lift ridiculous amounts of weight by most standards, in the bench press (as if the bench press is the God of all strength tests, and as if that made much of a difference anyway). I almost spit my coffee reading someone write Shaq was benching 450lbs. As a former powerlifter, I will tell you Shaq isnt benching anywhere close to that weight, and Ive read a few times that he was very weak in the gym, only getting up to 250lbs, where as much smaller players were stronger in that exercise than him (which makes sense, seeing that tall people with long wingspans usually struggle in the bench press by simple physiology, but thats another topic).

I myself dont see Jordan as a real physical phenom or freak of nature physically, but I definitely see him there on a mental level, probably beyond anyone in the history of the game, maybe top 3 in sports athletes EVER. Jordan's true strength came from his ability to will his body beyond normal capabilities and mind-screw opponents into virtual submission.

Some of my top freaks or athletic phenoms include:

Ralph Sampson: Hardly anything mentioned about this 7'4 inch small foward in a centers body. A man whos probably the most dominant college player the past 30 years, who could pass, score, shoot, dribble, and defend players of virtually any size at a towering Mark Eaton'ish height is beyond any center we've seen since his arrival in the early 80's. Unfortunately, like most beyond tall centers, his body gave in before his mind.

David Robinson: The most pure athletic big man in the history of the league, with the possible exception of Wilt. A college gymnast/basketball player who could run the court like a point guard, quickness of small foward and could jump out of the building, if need be. (yes he was much faster than Olajuwan, and anyone who says otherwise is smoking some good ****... obviously Hakeem was the superior player without real dispute, but he wasnt near the athlete David was).

Shaq As much as I dislike Shaq, he is unquestionably the first of his type the league has ever seen. The biggest, "basketball strongest" player EVER, Shaq, for his size was an absolute monster in every aspect of the word in his first 12 years in the league. The first truly unguardable center since Wilt (and wilt had very little overall competition other than a select few, all of whom he was much taller/longer than) For some reason people think Wilt was stronger, and could hold Shaq... are you nucking futs? Seriously. Shaq would push wilt around like a rag doll and posterize him like every other center in the league in his prime. There is no question Shaq was lazy, but he was the first of his kind and we probably wont see anyone like him again for many, many years.

D-Howard A big man winning the slam dunk contest. Kissing the rim. The athletic ability of David Robinson, scoring ability of an Olajuwan, strength of a karl malone. Watch out. This kid is going to own the center position in years to come.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

My freak list -

Mureasan
    Manute Bol
    Shawn Bradley
    Yao Ming

Barkley

mugsy B.
    Nate the Skate
    Nate Robinson
    Watson
    Bokin
    Cassell

Coachs -
    Phil Jackson
    VonGundy
    Red Aurbach
    Fats Brown

Cheerleaders -
    Sonics

Fans -
    Bulls

Saw a basketball once

Loki,

Where can I find a copy of this info? Do you remember the book?

Thanks,
    Clay