Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: James Harden, O.J. Mayo, Louis Williams have become the elite 6th men in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by sprainedankle
    Harden not starting in OKC is a joke. He struggled a couple of games on the road as a starter when Thabo went out. Then Cook became the starter. Now Cook has struggled and been no where near as good as Harden, but he still starts.
    You not understanding matchups and rotations is a joke.

Power32 (OJ Mayo) O.J A 6'4Mamba's Avatar

Default Re: James Harden, O.J. Mayo, Louis Williams have become the elite 6th men in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    There is no way OJ Mayo will ever be a PG. He won't be successful on any big-time level playing the point. He's an out-and-out SG. Anything else is a way to lose.

I actually thought about trading him for Lou Williams...the Sixers have all this depth but they don't have a great scorer and this guy can still be that. He also plays defense very well and would be ideal as the 2guard on that team.

Lou Williams can be the 6th man (probably his best role) on Memphis (where he's actually from) and do what they want Mayo to do...Mayo is more adept at being a starter and it's evidenced by his success his first two seasons. Seems a decent trade.
    I agree on Mayo best use is being a starter. Whereas a guy like a Lou Williams is best at being a 6th men..
    That's about all i agree wit there though

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by O.J A 6'4Mamba
    KBlaze8855 will be sipping on that Orange Juice Mayonaise come playoff time.

He is just too much of a matchup problem at the PG slot. Has there ever been someone in NBA history with more in-game 3 point range then OJ Mayo? 3 out of the last 4 games he had made a 3 pointer from 27-29 ft range.
    Really? You think OJ has the best range in the history of the NBA? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by O.J A 6'4Mamba
    I agree on Mayo best use is being a starter. Whereas a guy like a Lou Williams is best at being a 6th men..
    That's about all i agree wit there though

OJ Mayo is not a PG. It's irrelevant if he'd be a matchup problem because all that would happen is someone would switch to guard him.

And even if he roasts the defender he doesn't necessarily help his team. Just because he's a ball-handler who can pass and fill in when needed doesn't make him a PG. Matchup problems make no sense either. If they did then Dwyane Wade would still be playing PG, but he hasn't played much PG since his rookie season.

Mayo is a scorer who can handle the basketball and make some plays. But he's nothing resembling a PG.

OJ Mayo is not a PG. It's irrelevant if he'd be a matchup problem because all that would happen is someone would switch to guard him.

And even if he roasts the defender he doesn't necessarily help his team. Just because he's a ball-handler who can pass and fill in when needed doesn't make him a PG. Matchup problems make no sense either. If they did then Dwyane Wade would still be playing PG, but he hasn't played much PG since his rookie season.

Mayo is a scorer who can handle the basketball and make some plays. But he's nothing resembling a PG.
    Up until this year I would agree with you but he has actually been very productive as a back up PG. Last night Conley went out with a buster eye and had to get stitches so OJ played way more than he usually does (he usually just does spot minutes to rest Conley). He ended up with 22pts (9-14FG), 8 assists, 5 Rebounds, and 3 steals and should have gotten at least 10 assists but had some guys blow layups. I'm not saying he'd be that productive all the time as a starting PG but he can definitely handle the back up PG role, which is great for the Grizzlies because it lets him get more minutes without taking some away from guys like Tony Allen, Rudy Gay or Quincy Pondexter.

Quote Originally Posted by zac
    Up until this year I would agree with you but he has actually been very productive as a back up PG. Last night Conley went out with a buster eye and had to get stitches so OJ played way more than he usually does (he usually just does spot minutes to rest Conley). He ended up with 22pts (9-14FG), 8 assists, 5 Rebounds, and 3 steals and should have gotten at least 10 assists but had some guys blow layups. I'm not saying he'd be that productive all the time as a starting PG but he can definitely handle the back up PG role, which is great for the Grizzlies because it lets him get more minutes without taking some away from guys like Tony Allen, Rudy Gay or Quincy Pondexter.

Nice sock account. OJ isn't a PG, he isn't even a starter at his true position yet. Dude is headed towards bust status.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    Nice sock account. OJ isn't a PG, he isn't even a starter at his true position yet. Dude is headed towards bust status.
    This is so dumb. OJ isn't even my favorite player, he isn't a starter for the same reason Harden isn't a starter. Both teams needed bench scoring and production so they mixed things up and put someone in the starting lineup who doesn't need the ball in their hands.

This is so dumb. OJ isn't even my favorite player, he isn't a starter for the same reason Harden isn't a starter. Both teams needed bench scoring and production so they mixed things up and put someone in the starting lineup who doesn't need the ball in their hands.

Yeah, I see what you're saying, but if OJ was as good as advertised he'd never come off the bench. Imagine Kobe, D. Rose, Tim Duncan, KG, etc, etc coming off the bench.

The guy is inconsistent (and not as good as the OP makes him out to be) and that is part of the reason he does not start.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    Yeah, I see what you're saying, but if OJ was as good as advertised he'd never come off the bench. Imagine Kobe, D. Rose, Tim Duncan, KG, etc, etc coming off the bench.

The guy is inconsistent (and not as good as the OP makes him out to be) and that is part of the reason he does not start.
    OJ is not even in the same discussion as Kobe and those guys. I am a huge OJ fan but you can't take guys like O.J A 6'4Mamba seriously. OJ is very talented and will get better but he had a very off year last year due to many different reasons. He is getting back in the swing of things and is doing exactly what this team needs him to do. He will be a huge part of this playoff run because last year he wasn't at the level he needed to be plus he'd given more freedom to create with the ball in his hands now, especially when he's in the back up PG spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Hes like one of those supposedly giant snakes deep in the jungle where natives and some local "scientist" claims its 40 feet long so skeptical first world scientists trek all the way out to the sticks to measure it and its actually 18 feet long and bulky because its pregnant.

OJ mayo is a good sized snake thats hyped up as a monster by locals who are convinced its responsible for all their lost cattle. He cost someone thousands of dollars in travel and time to go measure him to confirm hes barely even of note.

OJ A 6 meter python.
    KBlaze's best post in the 8 plus years I've been here.

OJ is not even in the same discussion as Kobe and those guys. I am a huge OJ fan but you can't take guys like O.J A 6'4Mamba seriously. OJ is very talented and will get better but he had a very off year last year due to many different reasons. He is getting back in the swing of things and is doing exactly what this team needs him to do. He will be a huge part of this playoff run because last year he wasn't at the level he needed to be plus he'd given more freedom to create with the ball in his hands now, especially when he's in the back up PG spot.

You sound just like the OP though.

The key element of his game is his inconsistency. If not for that I think he would be a starter. I don't know how you could make a prediction for such a hot and cold player.

This guy is gonna have to be a starter next season. Whether in Memphis (very unlikely) or somewhere else. Wherever that is, he's gonna be playing SG. As a starting point he's not gonna be good for anyone.

Thank you Based Presti OKCThunderUP's Avatar

Harden > Lou > Al > Mo > JET > Mayo

This guy is gonna have to be a starter next season. Whether in Memphis (very unlikely) or somewhere else. Wherever that is, he's gonna be playing SG. As a starting point he's not gonna be good for anyone.
    He will start SG, but play a little to alot of PG minutes for that said team. Like what Deron Williams does going from PG to SG, but the opposite way around if that makes sense. ball must be in Juices hands.

zac don't get brainwashed by the haters like GoGetter, Kblaze, and the rest of ISH. We Grizzlies fans must stick together in this championship run we are about to have.