Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Better Point Guard: Steph Curry or Mark Price

The rules make it really hard to compare PGs across eras; especially Price and Curry who both would be radically different if they swapped eras.

Compare the best point guard today/MVP candidate/best shooter of all time to someone who didn't even make the Hall of Fame

Picking price just means you're stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
    Compare the best point guard today/MVP candidate/best shooter of all time to someone who didn't even make the Hall of Fame

this post is ignorant. the rule changes make all the difference and btw...Price has a 1st team all NBA over HOF dudes. Put Price in this NBA and he is doing work...guy was a much better floor general.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    this post is ignorant. the rule changes and btw...Price has a 1st team all NBA . Put Price in this NBA and he is doing work...guy was a much better .
    More of this "(insert 90's player) would dominate in this era" BS. Points allows was a lot greater back then than they are now just because 2 or 3 teams played elite defense, that doesn't mean they all did. For the record... Mark Price played in that era and didn't achieve shit.... Not even a Hall of Fame spot.

Curry will be in the HOF if he continues playing at this level and I think he still has room to grow and get even better.

More of this "(insert 90's player) would dominate in this era" BS. Points allows was a lot greater back then than they are now just because 2 or 3 teams played elite defense, that doesn't mean they all did. For the record... Mark Price played in that era and didn't achieve shit.... Not even a Hall of Fame spot.

Curry will be in the HOF if he continues playing at this level and I think he still has room to grow and get even better.
    and? the rules are drastically different now. Steve Nash isn't an MVP back when Nash played, he may not even be a perennial all star. The rules matter and it is a big deal. Its not about the elite defense, it is the handchecking and the protecting of the 3 point shooters now as well as the shot blocking at the rim in that era. Its just a lot different. Steph Curry wouldn't even be a top 10 player back when Mark Price played. Even now, he is overrated.

btw...I can guarantee you that Steph Curry never wins anything as the best player on a team. Id also bet that he never makes the finals either. He isnt that level of player and lets not make him out to be something he isnt

Banned

and? the rules are drastically different now. Steve Nash isn't an MVP back when Nash played, he may not even be a perennial all star. The rules matter and it is a big deal. Its not about the elite defense, it is the handchecking and the protecting of the 3 point shooters now as well as the shot blocking at the rim in that era. Its just a lot different. Steph Curry wouldn't even be a top 10 player back when Mark Price played. Even now, he is overrated.

btw...I can guarantee you that Steph Curry never wins anything as the best player on a team. Id also bet that he never makes the finals either. He isnt that level of player and lets not make him out to be something he isnt
    lol
    nostalgia is so strong and it makes people so dumb

And how do u know if Mark Price could stay in this league knowing that PG are more athletic and he couldn't hand check?

If Mark won something in that so called "golden era" then fine.... But that's not the case.

This shit is like comparing Pete Nice from 3rd base to Kendrick Lamar.

Players from the past are always better than players from today if they're even remotely comparable. Sometimes, they don't even need to be comparable, just pick the one from the past.

Decent college freshman MellowYellow's Avatar

He will get in eventually, his career was cut short though because of injuries. His prime was great though, on par with what curry did last couple of years.

Banned

Curry will easily surpass Price after this season when he finishes in the Top 5 for MVP.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

You say a lot of good things and I'm 42 so I've seen all these dudes play from my teens on up (not when I was 10 ).

First, I think that Nash's shooting and passing pretty much makes him effective across mostly all eras (you said nash isn't an MVP when nash played but I assume you mean when price played). It's difficult to say how he would have dealt with hand checking but he was very quick and a super shooter so I'm not sure that he's be MVP but I think that he would have been an all star.

Secondly, Curry is becoming overrated. He's really a passing two to me with an awesome shot. He has the ball a lot and gets assists but he's nothing like Price or Nash. Nash and Price and Isaiah could all have scored more and passed less but that's not what was best for their teams. Isaiah may not have been the shooter that those two were but he was a hell of a scorer. Anyone who was old enough to have seen these guys play in the handchekcing era shudders to think what those guards would be able to do in this era.

This is why I don't bother with comparisons because it's just impossible. You have to look at the players in their context. The PG position as is has been known is dying. Its a shoot first position now so that makes it even more difficult to compare to past eras.

Curry and Price are both great players in their eras and that's about all there is to say. It's not Steph Curry's fault that he plays in an era where hand checking is illegal and it's not Prices fault that he played when you could hand check a guy to death and there were stud shot blockers on every team. There is no comparison here. But people calling Steph the greatest shooter of all time are just foolish. Nash did the 40/50/90 for years. And guys like Dale Ellis and Reggie were great shooters before the three point shot was shot 20x a game for each team. So saying a guy has x amount of makes now and trying to compare it to someone like ellis is just dumb because teams weren't taking anywhere near that much then. They are all very good players.

Quote Originally Posted by MellowYellow
    He will get in eventually, his career was cut short though because of injuries. His prime was great though, on par with what curry did last couple of years.
    Curry >>

Both great overall shooters, both with great handles, both can finish inside, both great players/PG's.

I think Curry is the better scorer (although Price is close behind, and Steph looks more for it) and also a better shooter off the dribble; Price had better shot selection and was better at the ft line... Mark was also a better passer and better at taking care of the ball, Stephen can't run an offense like Price could.

I'd probably say Price was a better PG but Curry a better player, or something like that, but they're neck-to-neck now.
    If Curry keeps this level, while getting wins and then getting it done in the Playoffs too... I'll go with him, and most likely he'll still improve (barring injuries).
    Ofc, rules also make it "easier" for guards now, and Price got his career cut short due to dealing with more physicality too (same for "little" PG's like Isiah and so on)... Stuff like that can't be neglected, as well.

Now, people saying "Curry and not even close"??? Gimme a break...

Mark was something like a slight more athletic Nash, with slight less passing skills and ability to run an offense, but also better, more gritty defender - Nash being better as an overall player... And Price also came up without a 3pt line (as a kid and before the pros), in a more physical time, in an era where rules (written/unwritten) made it harder for guards than nowadays.
    Last edited by SHAQisGOAT; 11-27-2014 at 09:21 PM.

Basketball Genius

the inventor of the pick n roll split

you can watch any game of price and you will be able to see why he was such a special player. what he did for those cavs team was something special.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBe
    the inventor of the pick n roll split

you can watch any game of price and you will be able to see why he was such a special player. what he did for those cavs team was something special.
    Always loved to watch him ball (same for Steph though, especially when he gets it going):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sua9u318wGo

Kinda of funny because Kerr - who speaks in that vid - at some point played with Price and now coaches Curry.

Still...
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT

I'd probably say Price was a better PG but Curry a better player, or something like that, but they're neck-to-neck now.
    If Curry keeps this level, while getting wins and then getting it done in the Playoffs too... I'll go with him, and most likely he'll still improve (barring injuries).
    Ofc, rules also make it "easier" for guards now, and Price got his career cut short due to dealing with more physicality too (same for "little" PG's like Isiah and so on)... Stuff like that can't be neglected, as well.

Now, people saying "Curry and not even close"??? Gimme a break...
    ... and so on (from my previous post)...
    Last edited by SHAQisGOAT; 11-27-2014 at 09:21 PM.