Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Default Re: could you play in the 60s?

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    back then, they called travel or carry on a lot of the guard moves used today.

this restricted players big time back then on the moves they could do.

this thread explains it pretty well... http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=360900
    some very unique argumentation. Do you feel that the 4 steps that are legal today are holding back the current crop of athletic players from showcasing their basketball skills?

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    As a sidenote...

how good were the players of the 60's?

How about this one example... in the 69-70 NCAA title game, the 6-9 Sidney Wicks (who?) went H2H with the 7-2 Artis Gilmore...

and outrebounded him, 18-16, held Artis to an unfathomable 9-29 shooting from the field, and blocked five of his shots.

Of course we know that an old Gilmore was beasting against Hakeem in their ten H2H's from 84-85 thru 85-86.
    i hear that Homiewemajor has some sick new video of cousy finishing hard at the rim over legit seven footers, with some sick oldskool beegees rap as a soundtrack too... looking forward

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Let's show a little more of that play, shall we...as well as some other's,

and keep in mind that most of these clips were from the 50's...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPepEJSxexw

Of course, how about the SIXTIES...

This from a 6-5 player who played college ball in the 60's...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qv0YS1wHoQ

Another "magician" from the mid-60's...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkQrtrlQYpI

Or another white player who was playing college ball in the early 70's...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY65sR4rvA0

The 5-9 Calvin Murphy who was scoring 38 ppg in college in the 60's...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmI9MSuXtdY

(BTW, Murphy could easily dunk)...

And here was a 42 point NBA playoff game near the end of his career (and in the Magic and Bird era)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8YWP_QTVkU

And again...LITTLE KIDS in 1962...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soLH6bau9uo

BTW, they obviously were copying the Harlem Globetrotters, who had been doing much the same in the 50's...

Of course, let those players carry and palm the ball like the "moderns" do, and they would have been putting on spectacular displays of dribbling.
    one of the wettest most fundamental Js in the history of the league. Also the high release makes it unblockable, as we see against the incredible defense played in that video.

He'd have a very easy time getting his J off against the likes of tony allen/john wall/lebron today.

at least top 10 goat imo. I even made a GIF outta of it to teach these young bucks like myself the real talk of the harlem courts from my granddaddys days.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swagga
    one of the wettest most fundamental Js in the history of the league. Also the high release makes it unblockable, as we see against the incredible defense played in that video.

He'd have a very easy time getting his J off against the likes of tony allen/john wall/lebron today.

at least top 10 goat imo. I even made a GIF outta of it to teach these young bucks like myself the real talk of the harlem courts from my granddaddys days.

Those days it seemed like you can shoot an open 15 footer whenever you wanted to....

The clips of Pistol Pete vs the clips of Cousy were COMPLETELY different. Cousy's era played defense the local YMCA would be embarrassed about and Pistol's actually looked pretty legit.

I think I could under a few impossible circumstances:

If you told me at 12, "At age 22, you will be put in a time machine and send back to the 60s." As well as that I would never injure my ankle and would take training seriously, I could play then.

Would I be a star or even a starter? Doubt, but I could get a roster spot, serious.

Currently... lol. Nah. My ankle is ridic ****ed and I've got too much anxiety nowadays (no idea why.)

I do think athleticism matters, tho. And if I could take advantage of modern nutrition and build myself as a bball player, yeah, I could. But that's just a dream and not even taking into account the reality that I'd probably get bored of training for 10 years even tho when I was a babbie I dreamed of NBA. I dunno if I could get used to the world being black and white tho.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    I think I could under a few impossible circumstances:

If you told me at 12, "At age 22, you will be put in a time machine and send back to the 60s." As well as that I would never injure my ankle and would take training seriously, I could play then.

Would I be a star or even a starter? Doubt, but I could get a roster spot, serious.

Currently... lol. Nah. My ankle is ridic ****ed and I've got too much anxiety nowadays (no idea why.)

I do think athleticism matters, tho. And if I could take advantage of modern nutrition and build myself as a bball player, yeah, I could. But that's just a dream and not even taking into account the reality that I'd probably get bored of training for 10 years even tho when I was a babbie I dreamed of NBA. I dunno if I could get used to the world being black and white tho.

-Smak

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

some very unique argumentation. Do you feel that the 4 steps that are legal today are holding back the current crop of athletic players from showcasing their basketball skills?
    no, that's exactly what HELPS them do more athletic plays.

when you can take more steps per dribble, you can be in RUNNING MODE more, and can generate more momentum on the way to the rim for more explosiveness at the rim.

here's Jordan doing the standard one-dribble, 3 steps move - if jordan had to take an extra dribble here, it would slow him down immensely, and he wouldn't be able to RUN as much towards the basket and get the tremendous momentum that he did.

Motherfking legend

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow

shades of kobe.

no, that's exactly what HELPS them do more athletic plays.

when you can take more steps per dribble, you can be in RUNNING MODE more, and can generate more momentum on the way to the rim for more explosiveness at the rim.

here's Jordan doing the standard one-dribble, 3 steps move - if jordan had to take an extra dribble here, it would slow him down immensely, and he wouldn't be able to RUN as much towards the basket and get the tremendous momentum that he did.

i was thinking more like dunking after 4 steps, starting from the 3pt line, with the value of a 3pter.

At this point, nope
    But what amazes me in this thread is how some people fail to realize that basketball has evolved a lot since the 60's.Everything from shooting mechanics, dribbling, defensive and offensive schemes got better.Not to mention the talent pool is a lot bigger since basketball got more popular and more money is being invested in it.There is no doubt in my mind pretty much any modern player would be able to play in the 60's and put up much better stats than they are now.Still doesn't mean greats like Wilt,Oscar and Russel should be forgotten or less valued, they did dominate their era, but comparing them to modern players on a skill based level is really hard, not to mention comparing stats doesn't make any sense
    Remembering the old times is nice, but being biased and overly nostalgic is not

National High School Star sick_brah07's Avatar

in terms of skill and understanding how to play the game, it has evolved so I believe my knowledge on how to break down a team defensively or how to stop a team offensively would be up there in the 60's so if anything I think I could be a very good coach in the 60's(with the knowledge I have today) also to highlight the fact, thanks to TV and the internet I have probably watched more basketball then a lot of guys could in the sixties hence giving me a hell of a bigger advantage.

In terms of being an athlete I think people under estimate what it means to be a world class athlete, although the pool has grown and more people play basketball, the professional athletes of the 60's were still professional athletes. So I believe we really under estimate how fast and strong the guys from then would have been (obviously guys today are all round faster, stronger and more agile) but its not like we have evolved so much that guys from the 60's are slow old men with broken bones and today we have super hyper athletes that are 10 times faster and stronger. Take for example swimming and sprinting, would athletes today beat the 60's athletes... sure, but would I ? probably not because they were still clocking incredible times (see Carl lewis for example, his not from the 60's but you get my point)

so to my personal conclusion although I consider myself a good basketball player and I have played against very good competition in Australia even played with and against some pros in tournaments I don't believe physically speaking I have enough great GENES to be a world class athlete even in the 60's

but of course this is ISH we is all PROS that averaged 30-10-10 in high school haha

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNashMVPcro
    At this point, nope
    But what amazes me in this thread is how some people fail to realize that basketball has evolved a lot since the 60's.Everything from shooting mechanics, dribbling, defensive and offensive schemes got better.Not to mention the talent pool is a lot bigger since basketball got more popular and more money is being invested in it.There is no doubt in my mind pretty much any modern player would be able to play in the 60's and put up much better stats than they are now.Still doesn't mean greats like Wilt,Oscar and Russel should be forgotten or less valued, they did dominate their era, but comparing them to modern players on a skill based level is really hard, not to mention comparing stats doesn't make any sense
    Remembering the old times is nice, but being biased and overly nostalgic is not
    it's naive not to recognize that the explosiveness of players in the 60's was significantly hampered by the league not allowing carrying and travelling like players are allowed today - this was demonstrated in this thread...

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=360900

it's also naive not to recognize the differences between two-pointer basketball, and basketball WITH a 3-point line.... that was demonstrated in this thread...

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=358166

National High School Star sick_brah07's Avatar

it's naive not to recognize that the explosiveness of players in the 60's was significantly hampered by the league not allowing carrying and travelling like players are allowed today - this was demonstrated in this thread...

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=360900

it's also naive not to recognize the differences between two-pointer basketball, and basketball WITH a 3-point line.... that was demonstrated in this thread...

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=358166

this is very true, you cannot do a ridiculously quick crossover without doing a move that would without a doubt be considered a carry in the 60's