1. Russell
    2. Wilt
    3. Kareem
    4. Shaq
    5. Hakeem

Basketball Genius

Default Re: ISH's official ranking of the 5 greatest centers of all time

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    First of all Im not trying to downgrade Russell, but simply point out inconsistencies in peoples logic. There were only 8 or 9 teams when Russell played! Also he was frequently not even first team all-nba at center.

Russell was a fantastic defensive player on a team loaded with offensive, HOF talent, and together that combination won numerous titles. Giving disproportionate credit for that to Russell because he was on the team for 11 of them is like saying Horry wouldnt have been on seven title teams without being a HOF caliber player. Russell was limited in some aspects and had the good fortune, much like Kobe, to play his career for a top flight organization. It doesnt seem like you are taking any of that into account. "11 rings" is no better an argument for Russell than "7 rings" is for Horry. And again, Russell began each season with a 1/8 chance of winning the championship. Subsequent players started with a 1/15 chance, a 1/22 chance and eventually a 1/30 chance. Its much easier to be "GOATWINNER" when you have 300% better odds of winning a chip before even playing a minute.
    but that also means that less talent would be spread out and that each and every night was a dogfight for russell. he didn't have the luxury of facing the brandon jennings bucks in the first round of the playoffs

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBe
    but that also means that less talent would be spread out and that each and every night was a dogfight for russell. he didn't have the luxury of facing the brandon jennings bucks in the first round of the playoffs
    He had to fight through the Elgin Baylor, Jerry West, Wilt Chamberlain and Willis Reed, Walt Frazier, and Walt Bellamy monstar laker/knicks teams though.

Banned

Regardless of the era I still see Russell as the greatest centre of all time.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    Regardless of the era I still see Russell as the greatest centre of all time.

Thats fine. Youre certainly entitled to that opinion. My opinion is that you arent qualified to rank him, at least not with any sort of credibility, and thats my opinion that Im entitled to. So we agree to disagree.

Basketball Genius

Thats fine. Youre certainly entitled to that opinion. My opinion is that you arent qualified to rank him, at least not with any sort of credibility, and thats my opinion that Im entitled to. So we agree to disagree.
    no you're just wrong on so many levels

just go educate yourself. just because something happened "a long time ago" doesn't give you the right to out-right discredit it without doing your own research. kids these days have google and don't even know how to use it

Banned

Yeah your entitled to that opinion, similar to how my opinion of you is that you just want to push agendas and have never actually watched any vintage era basketball. But we can agree to disagree.

I think people are seriously overlooking Russell's intangibles here. Having a guy who is all about the team is a priceless commodity.

How many dynasties won in-spite of each other? The Shaq-Kobe Lakers? They had one of the best locker room guys in league history and the best coach ever, who had a knack for managing egos. And the Lakers were still taken to the bring many times by less talented teams (who happened to have great chemistry, which adds to my point).

Heck, Hakeem didn't win until he became an actual leader (admittedly with more help).

Russell is the greatest winner ever, and the greatest leader ever. His game evolved around his teammates', making sure he covered up their flaws, keeping them satisfied with touches, and generally doing whatever was needed to win.

That's why guys like Russell, Duncan, Walton (given the number of healthy years he had) were so successful, even without necessarily having the natural talent of other players.

TL;DR: intangibles rule.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

1-Wilt
    2-Kareem
    3-Shaq
    4-Hakeem
    5-Robinson

Wilt
    KAJ
    Russell
    Shaq
    Moses (the "Kareem Killer")
    Last edited by LAZERUSS; 11-14-2014 at 02:24 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

1. Kareem
    2. Russell
    3. Shaq
    4. Wilt
    5. Hakeem

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

Russell
    KAJ
    Wilt
    Shaq
    Hakeem

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    He's didn't have the highest peak, but he is the greatest C. Greatness IMO has much to do with accolades and achievements.

Russell has 11 rings and won 8 straight. That level of winning is absurd and unparalleled in sports history at least among major sports. That is "greatness". Elevated his game in the playoffs and won when it matters, and outplayed the clearly more talented Wilt amongst other Cs.
    Go ahead and post the playoff games, and series, in which Russell outplayed Chamberlain.

Maybe in a handful of their 49 post-season H2H games (and Wilt was playing injured in those.) Overall, Chamberlain just crushed Russell in the post-season.

1. Kareem
    2. Russell
    3. Wilt
    4. Shaq
    5. Hakeem

Russell
    Wilt
    Kareem
    Hakeem
    Shaq